( twenty )

THE ARK

THE ARK. 17 YEARS AGO.

The day Harley Murphy was born, alongside her twin brother, was not supposed to happen. The Ark only allowed one child per family, making a family of three, for oxygen prevention issues and controlled population. If a mother birthed more than one child, the second child was taken away to be cared for until they were old enough to be locked away in the Sky Box and the mother would be floated for her crime.

In some cases, there were certain exceptions. If the parent was to useful to float, they were not, but the child was still taken away. Twins were the second exception. If a mother carried twins, it was deemed as an uncontrollable situation and had special conditions. But to keep the laws fair, one child per family, one of the twins being born would be given to a family looking to adopt from being unable to conceive. In this case, Harley was the baby chosen to be given away.

It's not like the parents of the Murphy twins hadn't wanted Harley. They did, Alex most of all. It broke his heart to have to give away his youngest daughter. They considered hiding away one of them, but knew that wasn't the right choice. If they had, then they would both be floated, or the child would be taken away anyways.

They were both allowed a moment with the babies after being born. Harley was being held by her mother while John was being held by his father, but both babies had yet to have a name. At least the parents adopting their baby girl, Genevieve and Roy Bostwick, had allowed them to name her. They seemed like decent and kind people, but their daughter would be whisked away with them to Alpha Station, so it was difficult to let go.

"We should name the boy John," the mother spoke, tearing her eyes away from the baby girl. "After my father." She looked up slowly, fighting the tears. "You can name her, if you want."

"I like Anastasia," the father spoke quietly, looking towards the other when she had broke the silence. But it didn't feel right. When looking over to the small baby girl, sleeping quietly, wrapped in a blanket, he knew his daughter wasn't an Anastasia. "Actually.. I.." He paused, before saying the one name that finally felt appropriate for her. "I think her name is Harleen. Harley."

Harley. The name sounded right, it felt more suitable for her. Even if she was gone from now to after, it was right. "Harley," she repeated, touching the babies cheek. She liked it too. "Do you think that they'd find each other one day, maybe?" It was a low hope, but there.

"Yeah," he replied, looking back to the baby boy, John. "I do."

The name put on Harley's birth certificate should have been Harley Murphy.

EARTH. PRESENT DAY.

Harley felt her heart plummet into her chest. She pressed the back of her hand to her forehead checking her temperature. "I have a fever," she declared. "I'm hallucinating. Clover put Monty's moonshine in the water, or I'm dreaming, or.." She desperately tried to search for an explanation to Murphy's confession. "You're messing around with me. Aren't you?"