( one )

THE ARK

THE ARK. PRESENT DAY.

Harley was alone. Only on visitor days, which wasn't so often, did Harley see someone else other than the steel walls. The council believed that she was a flight risk and on the same level as the child murderers so she wasn't given a cell mate. She never fit in with anyone, either. Everyone began to wonder why a girl with a wide smile and encouraging words was among them; criminals. Harley even stopped explaining that she was innocent, because no one would believe her. The last chance she had was being reviewed once she turned eighteen, where her fate would be decided.

There was nothing in Harley's cell except herself and a deck of cards. She was getting bored of having no one to talk to all the time, except the guards who would seem like they wanted to float themselves to get out of talking to the optimist. Eventually, her asking for something small that wouldn't hurt anyone and was allowed in her cell irritated the guards enough to the point someone brought her a small deck of cards.

On your own, there wasn't many games you could play. Harley taught herself the 'is this your card?' trick after many attempts, and even made up a game or two to entertain herself. Harley tugged off the small rubber band that was holding the deck together, and that was the exact moment the door to her cell swung open. Two guards walked in, and Harley took no notice of the case in one of their hands.

"Hi," Harley greeted with a smile on her face, putting the rubber band back around the deck of cards. "Is it visitors day already? I'm pretty sure I'm losing track of the days." Neither of the guards answered Harley, only opened the case. Her eyes narrowed towards the inside, seeing a small metal band.

"Prisoner 251, turn around and face the wall," the guard demanded. Harley didn't hesitate in complying. She shoved the deck of cards into the back pocket of her jeans and turned around, her gaze meeting with the steel wall with her hands hanging low. Suddenly, the guard roughly grabbed Harley's wrist and slapped the metal band on it.

Surprised by the feeling of sharp points digging into her skin, Harley let out a small cry and cradled her wrist to her chest. The bracelet was clearly made electronically, and she began to grow anxious and scared of what was happening. One of the guards grabbed her by her upper arm but Harley didn't protest, however that didn't stop any questions. "Hey, hold on - what's happening?" She asked, tensed as the guard pulled her out with a stone face.

The second Harley was out, her eyes widened when seeing what was happening. Delinquents of her age and younger, were shouting in demand of what was going on as they were dragged from their cells. No matter if Harley asked to know anything, it'd fall deaf against the guard's ears. A pit of fear weighed at the bottom of her chest, as the guard led her down the long way near the exit where everyone had seemed to be being pulled to.

They came to a slow stop down a hall where they were handing out certain clothing. Harley was taken notice of what she was wearing, before being given a thick jacket. Harley clutched it into her hand, as the guard forced her to where the delinquents were being lined up after being given their jackets in a single file line. Once he was gone, Harley came to a pit stop behind a tall boy that was built like a wall and slung her jacket on.