42.| When It Falls Down

Keith Powers

Keith Powers

Jogging down the stairs after the doorbell rang, I let out a shaky breath. My mom was getting ready to meet Kiara for the first time and I don't know how she's going to react to this.

I don't think she's going to be upset though, I know she didn't like Brittany but she was excited about April being pregnant so she should she be okay with this.

Pulling the door back my moms smiling face appeared.

"Hi honey." She said while hugging me.

"Hey ma." I pulled back and let her come inside.

"This is a beautiful house. I almost got lost coming all the way over here."

"Thank you, it is kind of far from everybody. Let's go in the family room."

She followed behind me as we made our way. Once we got in the room, she sat in one of the chairs and I sat down on the couch.

"Where's April?" She asked.

I glanced down at my watch. "She has to do some things for work but she'll be here in a second. You want something to drink or something?"

"I'm fine I actually just had lunch with Joyce."

I did a double take. "I'm sorry, you had lunch with who."

"I know, I know but we're about to be grandmothers. We decided to bury the hatchet put the past behind us. I was hoping April was here I wanted to talk with her."

I smiled. "She'll be here."

"So you said you wanted to talk to me about something?"

I nodded. "Uh yeah, I'll be back." Getting up I headed to Kiara's room. April went all out for her. The way they became so attached to each other so fast is so amazing to me. I carried her back into the family room.

My mom looked up at me and her eyebrows furrowed. "Who's this?"

"Um, she's my daughter."

"Excuse me? Was April pregnant before?"

"No....April isn't her mother."

"Then who is?" My moms voice raised.

"Brittany is."

"Brittany?" Her eyes moved back and forth as she tried to remember who Brittany was. "The cashier chick that you brought to meet me?"