Twilight 1

Twilight 1

"Winny let me move a bed back into your old room, she even gave you her shelf in the bathroom," Charlie said happily as he drove, Bella beside him in the passenger seat. He, of course, didn't notice Bella's grimace at the sound of her adopted sister's name.

"That's nice of her," Bella said unconvincingly. "Where is she?"

In truth, Bella was holding out some small hope that when they moved her bed into Winny's room, Winny moved out of it but she wasn't holding her breath. Charlie again didn't notice his daughter's obvious discontent, and grinned goofily.

"She's at the house going over some last minute details. I swear that girl is even more excited to have you at the house than I am."

What Charlie didn't say was the last minute details Winny were going over, were riding her bike to the reservation, paying Billy for Bella's welcome home gift, driving it back home, and doing one last minute check to make sure that it wouldn't break down the first time Bella turned the key in the ignition. That and Winny had more homework than she had time for, because she'd been putting all her time into making sure Bella would have a comfortable stay, and she wanted to get some of it done before it was due on Monday.

"She's always so sweet," Bella's mouth felt bitter at the thought, no matter the words that came out of her mouth.

She remembered Winny from when she used to come visit her father years ago. Winny had appeared in her father's house some time between her four year old visit and her five year old visit, and really the only thing Bella remembered was that her mother Renee had been furious. She'd spat and yelled at Charlie, almost threatening to take Bella back to Phoenix because she'd "felt so betrayed." At the time, Bella hadn't really seen the problem with the little lump of blankets that was in her father's arms, and later in a crib in the corner of her room. At first Winny had been almost like a doll.

It hadn't been until Winny had learned to talk, and had begun to follow Bella around during her summer visits, that Bella had grown to hate the girl. Looking back on it, Bella guessed that in actuality Bella had been the one invading on Winny's friendships, but Rebecca and Rachel had been entranced by the new playmate and the children that Winny had normally spent her time with had abandoned Winny in favor of her sister.

Then the girl had been entered into school and although Winny had started three years after Bella, because of mandatory emails she had continued to share with her father long after she quit spending her summer with him, she learned that Winny was now a year behind her now, being a sophomore at Fork's High school at fourteen. She'd been forced to compete with her adopted sister for grades, more or less.

Needless to say that Bella didn't like her sister, not that she would tell Charlie that.

The two of them just sat in silence the rest of the way to his house, Charlie caught up in the excitement of his oldest daughter coming to live with him, and Bella with the dread of what was to come.