After Series: Vera McCarty

The same time Winny was flying to Italy, Aro's secretary was flying towards the Cullens. The woman in question, Vera Pellegrino, had been more than willing to have a half vampire baby for Rosalie and Emmett. Of course she had been warned of the risks but she had also been told that if she would survive, she would be a vampire. Vera had already had three children of her own, the only good things that came out of her last marriage, and she knew just how much a child could mean to a woman.

Vera had been through pregnancy several times already, so she wasn't really nervous as she got off the plane in Seattle Washington and met with Rosalie, Emmett, and another woman who was obviously human. Probably Stephanie Jackson, the other half of the equation.

Rosalie was practically beaming, as she rushed over at a very human speed and pulled Vera into her cold arms. Vera stiffened for a second, not used to being touched by vampires despite her job, before she relaxed. Aro had told her that Rosalie wouldn't harm her. And Winifred Swan had assured her that she would be in no danger from the vampires. Rosalie was just happy because she had wanted nothing other than a baby for a very long time.

So Jesica hugged Rosalie back.

"I'm so glad you're here, and thank you so much!" Rosalie was speaking almost too fast for Vera to catch all the words. There was obvious excitement in Rosalie's voice that made Vera smile. And Vera could tell from the bright grin on Emmett's face that it was not a common sight. Rosalie was practically glowing. "Did you have a comfortable flight? Is everything okay? Aro told Winny that you would be raring to go as soon as you landed but-"

Emmett and Stephanie walked over and Emmett wrapped one of his large arms around his wife and pulled her into his side.

"Breath, Rosie," Emmett chuckled, sending Vera a warm smile. "Let the poor girl catch her breath before you start talking a mile a minute."

Rosalie looked rather embarrassed, until her niece joined her side with a laugh.

"Yeah, Auntie." Stephanie had taken the news of a long lost relative tracking her down and requesting some of her eggs rather well. For one she hadn't filed a restraining order and for two, she had agreed to give the egg. Stephanie also hadn't asked a lot of questions, accepting Rose and Emmett's story about Rose's ovarian cancer without question. "She just got off a plane, and us normal people need sleep after traveling halfway around the world."

Rose smiled at her niece indulgently, her frozen heart warming. Stephanie had been taking treatments for the upcoming procedure for a while now, and Carlisle had already harvested the eggs they needed from her. Now Stephanie was just sticking around until they got a positive confirmation on the pregnancy, wanting to celebrate with her newly discovered family.

"Sorry," Rosalie offered an apology to Vera, pulling away fro Emmett and practically bouncing on her toes. She was so close now, and she really just wanted to get it over with. She had been waiting for more than seventy years, not that they had told Stephainie that, and now Rosalie just wanted to speed up time until she could hold her baby in her arms.

Vera and Stephanie smiled at one another, the two human women finding the excitement of the vampire extremely endearing. Their hearts were warm. They were doing a good thing.

*******

Vera was wearing baggy shirts and sweatpants before long, to hide her quickly growing bump from the ever supportive Stephanie. But before long Carlisle was drawing some of her blood, the rest of the family coincidentally leaving the house for Rose, Emmett, Carlisle and Stephanie. The test didn't take as long as Rosalie expected, but to her it took longer than she could stand. She was practically pacing by the time a little machine in the corner of Carlisle's office beeped. And she beat Carlisle to the results.

Of course she could see the positive in Vera's already swelling belly, but she wanted to see it, on paper. Until then it was almost like Rose was drifting through a dream, and she would wake up beside Emmett with no baby and no hope.

But no, right in front of her eyes was the answer she had been hoping for. Positive. In big, bold, black letters.

Rosalie screamed.

******

Stephanie had left shortly after, within the week. She had been away from her own children for far too long, and she could tell by her husband's voice over the phone that the poor man was beyond stressed. Before she had left, she had jokingly told Rosalie that men were hopeless with children, and Jessica had conqured.

That left poor Vera to wear whatever she wanted, and generally that meant as little as possible. Vera seemed to be the exact opposite of Bella, having more sweaty moments than chilled. If she wasn't sweating buckets, she was guzzling some O negative. Vera was almost embarrassed by her thirst, she had experienced cravings but never to that extent.

Furthermore, while Bella had been nearly skeletal by the end of her pregnancy, Vera was thriving. If anything she was gaining weight, and Rose couldn't be happier. It even looked like Carlisle would be able to deliver the baby and send Vera home human, capable of continuing to take care of her children without draining them.

Vera was pregnant for two months when her delivery date came around. She had been sitting on the couch, talking to Rose, when the pain came. Her abdomen had flexed, and she had cried out. Of course Carlisle had been on her in an instant and had relayed that the baby was working on getting out, apparently ready to join the world. The pain Vera was feeling was the little thing beginning to gnaw at her insides.

Needless to say Vera was rushed to the makeshift operating room and the baby was removed. This time, Carlisle was the one that bit through the amniotic sac, and just in time to. The baby, a little girl, was given to Rose to clean off and Vera was taken care of. In the end, she kept her humanity. It had taken enough blood to fill a human body to keep her that way, and her uterus had to be removed, but it was possible.

*******

Rosalie named her little girl after two of the woman that made it possible, Winifred Vera McCarty. And she was beautiful. Vera Senior had refused to hold the baby, citing that Rosalie had waited so long, and the baby would grow so fast that Rose deserved all the time with it she could manage. Vera had also made Rosalie and Emmett promise to sent her pictures, so that she could watch the little baby grow. When it finally came time for Vera to return home, Rosalie nearly crushed the woman with her gratitude filled hug. And when Vera returned to Italy she met with Winny, a newly turned vampire, and received another hug.