Twilight 8

Twilight 8

About half an hour after Bella had been taken for her X-rays she emerged from the emergency ward, safe and sound and Tyler free. Winny saw her blanch at the sight of the waiting room filled with the students of Forks high school. Charlie rushed over to her side.

A he came up to her, along with Jessica, Angela, Mike and Eric, Bella held up her hands pleadingly.

"There's nothing wrong with me," she assured them all quickly, looking rather put out by the entire thing.

Winny kept silent as Charlie brushed his oldest daughter's denial off.

"What did the doctor say?" He asked urgently, worry showing clearly through the lines in his face. Winny felt bad for her father in that second. Winny hadn't ever gotten into much trouble, even as a child. There was the time that she had fallen off her bike down at the reservation and broken her arm when she was nine, but Sue Clearwater had the arm set and in a sling before Charlie had even gotten there to see if she was alright. He didn't know how to deal with one of his children getting into trouble because he'd never had to learn how to deal with it. It almost made Winny wish she'd gotten more seriously hurt more often.

"Dr. Cullen saw me, and he said that I was fine and could go home," Bella only seemed to get more irritated as more and more of the waiting room crowded around her. When Charlie made no move to take her home, she turned her brown doe eyes on him and pleaded. "Let's go."

Her begging seemed to work, because Winny then watched as their father put his arm behind Bella's back, being very careful not to actually touch her, and lead her out of the hospital. Winny was left standing in the emergency room. Winny sighed and went to follow her family out into the parking lot when she felt a hand tap her shoulder.

Doctor Cullen gave the girl a sheepish smile when she turned around to face him.

"It appears like your sister forgot to sign the discharge papers before she left, and we need someone to do it," he said gently, holding out a clipboard of information to her. Winny knew it couldn't have been legal to have her, not even a fifteen year old yet, signing legal papers that would discharge her sister from the hospital but nonetheless she gave the tired looking doctor an equally tired smile and took the papers. No one was going to come bursting in the doors of Fork's Hospital and arrest her because she signed her father's name on a couple of papers. especially because it would be her father arresting her and he had left her there in the first place.

So Winny buckled down and signed the papers, and then she went back to school to finish her day.

********

"Hey, Win," Charlie said as his exhausted looking youngest daughter entered the house later that night. She had grocery bags in both of her hands. "Where were you? You just disappeared on Bells and I at the hospital. Didn't even notice until we got home that you were gone."

Winny's mood sank even further, but she tried to give her father a convincing smile as she began to put the groceries away.

"Dr. Cullen caught me on the way out and asked me to sign Bella's discharge papers," she said quietly and Charlie's teasing grin turned into a frown. Even he could tell there was something wrong. "After that I biked back to school."

Winny didn't mention that it was the first time in a month that she had been able to sit with her friends at their lunch table, and the entire time they had all been worrying about Bella and whether she was okay or not.

Charlie continued gazing at his daughter until she finished with her task, hoised her bag onto her back, and walked up the stairs. When she tried the doorknob to her room Winny discovered that her sister had locked her out.