Teaser

"My friends," Aro crooned softly as he addressed the Volturi and the guard. "I have gathered you all here today to share some exciting news.

The eyes of the gathered vampires all turned to look at Winny and Marcus, who were standing hand in hand. This itself was not an unusual occurrence. In the last few years there had hardly been a vampire around who had not seen Marcus and Winny wandering down the hallways of Voltura together with smiles on their faces. The strange thing was that neither of them were smiling.

"It is on this day that I have decided to pass the coven down to my successor."

Realization dawned upon the crowd of vampires gathered.

"Winny, can you please step forward darling?" Aro inquired in a way that made it obvious Winny was to step up no mater how she felt on the matter. And by the look on her face it wasn't hard to see that she wasn't excited at all.

"Winny, I have decided that my brothers and I have been in power long enough. I believe it is time for someone with newer ideas to take our places and I believe that you are where I would like to start." Of course it wouldn't hurt that she was married to one of the original members of the Volturi and that would give him a leg in if he felt he needed it. Winny accepted Aro's words with a solemn nod, still not smiling.

"Thank you for this honor, Aro," she intoned flatly and behind her, Marcus' lips flicked upwards at the corner. Aro's smile didn't dim in the slightest though at her lack of enthusiasm and instead he flew forward and wrapped her in a tight hug. When Aro had released her Winny looked over at Chelsea and nodded her head. Chelsea nodded back and the guard felt themselves be released from Chelsea's control. "Then as new leader I will make it my first course of action to release all those from the Volturi that no longer wish to be with us. If you were coerced to leave your coven and wish to return to them or another, please do."

The hall was silent, Aro's smile dropped, and Marcus' only grew. Marcus grinned at his mate in adoration because he was once again reminded just why he loved her.