Chapter 1

Edited on 22/01/19
CHAPTER 1
Flashback
"You're losing son." Chidi taunted as he threw a punch at Miles who barely managed to block it.
'I still don't know why I didn't just agree to play chess.'
'Focus. Or better yet continue distracting yourself.” He taunted as Miles received two deadly punches to his stomach. He could feel his strength fail him as a final punch to his head landed him on the ground. He needed to stand but could not muster enough energy to do so.
He could feel his heart beat rapidly against his chest as he tightened his fist.
Stupid weak body. Now there was nothing he could do to avoid it and the most painful part was he didn't know what he got himself into.
****************
"Mum, I'm not getting married to any gold digger that's interested in acquiring more wealth.” Belinda said. They were having dinner when Yemisi, Belinda's mum brought up the topic. Belinda dropped her fork.
"You shouldn't have brought up this topic. I suddenly lost my appetite." She said. "How about David. I can't just hurt him like that. "
"Bell, I'm your mother and I can't do something to hurt you but even my hands are tied. I understand how you feel about your relationships, how you want one filled with love and to be precise one just like your dad and I." Yemisi said as their both eyes went glassy. Her dad had been dead for two years now. He lived up to the role of a father and husband perfectly. "But I know this guy. I mean I've heard stories and he's ruthless. I'm asking this for your dad. Don't let him destroy his hard work of more than 20 years. Salamander is our sweat and blood. Please do anything you can to ensure that Chidi doesn't destroy this company." Yemisi said as Belinda let the tears in her eyes roll down. It was at moments like this that she really missed her dad. Yemisi got up giving her a hug.
"It's gonna be alright. Everything will work together for good."
"I'm not marrying that man mum. I don't want to. I love David, I really do. "
"I know honey, I do.”
************
"What are you talking about dad? This is the 21st century for crying out loud and not the 1960's!" Miles said as his dad laughed. "You can't be talking about an arranged marriage at a time like this. That's totally crazy. This whole idea is crazy. "
"You are still young Miles, and so don't understand these things.” Chidi said to his son. "This is a goal I have worked on my whole life and you must help me achieve it.”
"Dad forget it. Why ruin my life for some stupid reason? If I knew this was your plan, I would never had agreed. We have it all; companies, connections, money, resources. You’re just being greedy. I'm not marrying anybody. Forget it" Miles said as a slap landed on his face. He placed his hand on his cheeks as his face turned the other way. He almost lost his footing if not that he was backing a sofa. He could feel the heat of the slap on his cheeks.
"Don't you dare talk to me in that manner young man! I made you what you are today. It's either you marry her and move ahead with this, or you forfeit the company. "
"WHAT?!” Miles asked
"You heard me right." Chidi was walking to the door. He placed his hands on Miles shoulders. "It's the fun of life. Miles. Meet my secretary for any information you need... That is if you’re interested”
"Are you even my father?” Miles asked.
"You should ask your mum that question. She'll know the real answer." Chidi said as he left the office