Chapter 17

Steph sat in the room. No one had been able to cheer her up, not even Efe or Estelle. It had been a week since the watch incident. Belinda decided to invite Miles. Maybe,  he'd be the solution. She was initially mad at him for giving her such an expensive gift but overlooked it when she remembered it was his first gift to her.
He knocked on the door and entered the room.
Steph looked up shocked. He walked over to her bed where she lay facing the wall.  She looked exactly like Belinda from behind.  He pushed out her long hair from her forehead and giving her a kiss.
"How's my little princess?" He asked.
"I'm not little,  I'm 16" she said turning to face him. "Besides,  you should leave, I don't want to talk to anyone. "
"Really, you look like a 6 year old when your sulking. "
"I don't. " she protested. "Just go"
"You do. Didn't your mum tell you? " he teased
"I don't. Go away. " She said pushing him as Mikes tickled her.  Steph laughed so hard she almost fell out of bed.
"I'm up(laff) now.(laff)  please stop (more laff)". Miles finally stopped pulling her close to him.  "What made you so upset? "He asked her quietly. "Your Mom was so worried she called me. "
Stephanie played with her fingers avoiding his gaze . She couldn't bring herself to tell him about the watch.
"Is it about the watch? " he asked as she didn't answer.  Angela told me about it. "You shouldn't be bothered about petty things.  Your dad is a multi billionaire or don't you know?"
"To me,  it's not petty.  It was the first gift my dad got me.  That's how much I valued it. " She said looking down and  stopped playing with her hands.  Miles took in a deep breath.  He liked the fact that she was an appreciative person and placed value on little things.
"Can i see it? "
"Huh?"
"The watch" He answered as Stephanie walked over to her vanity table and picked up the watch. She handed it to Miles and sat beside him. Miles ran his hands over the watch before taking her hands and placing it on her wrist.
"Well,  it's a pity  the watch got damaged,  but what I appreciate is your ability to appreciate gifts and things you receive. I think it's beautiful and it means more to me than you keeping the watch forever without that attitude.  I feel glad that you appreciated the gift that much and that makes you even more beautiful.  So don't worry about it  ok,  it's no big deal. "
"Thanks dad. " She said as Miles smiled.He smiled to himself as he ran a hand over her hair. "For the first time in his life,  he was being called dad, by his daughter. " I'm sorry I  didn't take care of it well."
"It's not a problem OK. "Don't ever forget how much I love you. " he said breaking the hug. "Now how about getting some fresh air? " he asked as a wide smile spread across her face.
*************
Belinda walked up to him as he left her room. "Where you able to get through to her? " she asked him anxiously as he nodded.  "That's a relief. " She said as Steph walked out of the room. She walked over to her and gave her a hug.
"Sorry  for stressing you out mum. " Steph apologized as Belinda nodded.
"It's okay baby. " she said looking her over. " "You're going out with your dad? " she asked as Miles nodded.
"You can't give her any chocolates or sweets.  It's bad for her teeth.  " She said to Miles.
"Don't forget what your dentist said and act naughty Steph. "
"Mum,  I'm sixteen years old not ten. I'll act responsible. Promise." She said as Belinda nodded.
"Come back early  ." Belinda shouted out as they walked towards the door.
"Mum is really sweet but she gets annoying when she keeps repeating things over and over. " Steph said once they got out of the house.
"You should talk it over with her instead of gossiping about it with me. " Miles said smiling.
"Can you stop smiling like a little boy. Someone will think I'm your girlfriend. "
"I'm just really happy.  Thanks to you,  Belinda called me.  Like for the first time ever. "
" You're the one who hurt her.  Try and win her back. It's so obvious she's still head over heels for you. "
"You really are rude. Do you know that? " He asked her.
" I'm not rude, just blunt and I think I'm really sweet. " She said smiling batting her eye lashes as Miles shook his head smiling.
"Well,  it's very difficult. She doesn't want to speak to me or be around me.  I can't believe she's still holding a grudge of 16years. " Miles said dejectedly.
"You can't say that after all,  she called you,  besides you have some charms..."
"Stop teasing me Steph. "
"I'm not,  you just don't see how those ladies look at you when you go out. And I'm honestly telling you,  you just have to put a little effort. "
They arrived at the restaurant and stepped out.
They entered the restaurant and were directed to a table by a waiter.
Miles pulled out a chair for Stephanie before sitting across her.
"As I was saying, "
Stephanie continued, "You should try to show her that you still love her, that she still matters, that whatsoever separated you guys before can't do it again."
Miles looked at her in shock. "Do they teach you guys' relationship as a subject?" he asked surprised as Stephanie laughed.
The restaurant was located at the center of town in a very beautiful environment opposite the biggest shopping mall in the city. They went in and took a table at the far end of the restaurant.
Just then, the waiter arrived with the menu and took their orders.
Of course not. You can say I'm a pretty knowledgeable person. But you still can't dispute the fact that my idea is a very wise one." Stephanie replied with a smile as Miles nodded. Just then the waiter brought their food. Miles ordered spaghetti and meat balls while Stephanie ordered white rice and chicken sauce. They also had a bottle of grape wine.
" So, to other matters," Miles said when they began eating. "What's wrong with your teeth that will make your mum stress it over and over?"
"Well, apparently, I am meant to have a tooth surgery on my right premolars due to a cavity but I haven't gathered up courage enough for that. So I'm prohibited from any form of sugar intake till I get the surgery done. "
"You should try and do it, before it spreads. "
"I know. That's why I'm thinking of asking mum to set up an appointment here for me with a good hospital over here. "
"I'll speak to my dentist and see what can be done." Miles said as Belinda nodded. They finished their meal and signaled the waiter. Miles paid leaving a huge tip.
Miles then drove down to the Jeweler's. He'd earlier promised to replace Steph's watch. They went over the beautiful designs that lined the counter. Stephanie spotted a beautiful gold watch. Its handles were crafted in links of heart shape, the face was covered with tiny diamonds. Tiny diamonds were also used as the hours with the clock hand coated with gold. Miles noted her eyes lingering over the watch and asked the jeweler to wrap it for him. Stephanie was so happy. She knew nothing on the planet would make Belinda buy her such an expensive watch and felt bad Miles was buying it, but she wasn't going to argue, rather she'd let him make up for his lost times.
"So should we go to the house or is there any where you want to go." Miles asked as Stephanie shook her head. They got into the car and drove back.
"This isn't the road we took" Stephanie said looking at the direction the car was going.
"I know. Let's go see the dentist. He should examine your teeth. "
"Only a look, he can't do anything else." Stephanie protested
"Yes, Steph only a look." Miles said.
They visited the dentist and had Stephanie's teeth examined. The dentist advised her to have it treated as soon as possible to prevent further spread. Stephanie nodded in agreement. She hoped she wouldn't have to do this.  Miles thanked him before leaving. The ride back home was quiet, making miles feel awkward.
"Is there any problem?" he asked as she shook her head. He nodded and continued driving. He arrived at home and dropped her off after giving her a kiss on her fore head. He asked to see Belinda but she refused to meet him.  He dejectedly got into the car and drove home.