Chapter 22

The burial had finally taken place at the end of the month. Everyone had something awesome to say about Yemisi. Her grandchildren had cried nonstop. Every one that knew her had something wonderful to say about her. Stephanie had finally gotten her tooth treated and returned to Canada due to the fact that the summer break was over, Belinda stayed back due to the fact that she was interested in patching things up between herself and Miles.

Miles had asked her to meet him at a restaurant so they could iron out their differences and make up. He pulled out a seat for her before sitting opposite her.

"You look awesome." He complemented her for the nth time since he'd seen her today.

"Thanks." She said in response.

"How's Steph?" he asked her as she smiled.

"She's fine but back at Abuja. School's about to resume. She's in her last year of secondary though." She said sighing.

"I'd have loved to move her back home but she already registered for her final exams.. She's really sad about this fact. She was hoping to spend more time with you." Belinda said placing her head in her hands.

" How about we go somewhere more private. I'm not in the mood to break down in public."

Belinda said as Miles nodded. He bought a bottle of water before leaving the restaurant. He drove down to her house. She was looking so gloomy the whole ride.

"What's the matter?" Miles asked her once they were inside the house.

"I just feel awful for making my daughter miss 16 years with her father. " She said a sad expression plastered over her face.

"It's not your fault. I was too stupid to see beyond her lies and fight for our love." Miles said as Belinda looked up.

"What do you mean by seeing beyond her lies?" she asked confused. "Do you mean Jessica?" she asked as he nodded.

"What lies?" She asked totally interested. Miles took in a deep breath and sat opposite her taking her hands in his.

"Well after you left, Jessica continued to stay although it was in the guest house. She was getting more demanding and more on my nerves. Well, her due date finally arrived. I was at work when she went into labor. She took a taxi there before informing me. I rushed off from work and joined her there." Miles said as Belinda remembered when she was in labor for Stephanie. She had gone through hellish pains and wished more than anything that Miles was standing beside her holding her hands and comforting her. She'd almost lost her life and that of her baby. It had been a terrible experience and had scarred her for life. The fact that Miles was absent was another painful thought and to think that he'd been at the birth of that woman's child. She withdrew her hands in hurt as the thought pained her. Miles recollected her hands.

"I know what you're thinking and I feel the same way. I've cursed myself so many times after that day." He said as silent tears dropped from her eyes, Miles cleaned it up and continues. "She was in a critical condition when I arrived the doctors said she'd damaged her womb and that it was a miracle she'd carried the baby this long. She gave birth after 3 hours of being in labor, but it was a still birth. The baby had died hours before it was born. She was moved to another room where she spent the night. She was weak, the doctors kept her under supervision the whole night. She called me and told me the truth. That the child belonged to her boyfriend who was recently arrested but she was threatened by my father who wanted revenge. She said she couldn't abort it due to her numerous abortions. I felt so terrible when I heard this but before I could do anything to make amends or correct it, she died, later that night." Miles wiped a tear that threatened to run down his eyes.

"That means you two didn't have sex?" Belinda asked confused as Miles nodded.

" I slept immediately I got to her house. She planned the stunt already knowing she was pregnant." Miles said with a sorrow filled voice as Belinda nodded in silence. His hands went to her face caressing her cheeks.

"I know i got married to you under a pretense, but i loved you with my life. You were the best thing that happened to me, and that document you saw, i never knew anything about it. It was all my father. Also, I acknowledge  that I was a coward for not coming after you immediately. I watched your every move, knew everything that went on in your life but I was too scared to approach you. I felt that you detested me, and wanted nothing to do with me... "Miles said but was cut off by Belinda. "I would never hate you. I tried to hate you for the past 16 years but it was all an for nothing. All the walls I thought I built crumbled down when I met you at the airport. I wanted nothing more than to run into your embrace." She said placing her hands over his and said those three words she never thought she'd say.

"I love you Miles, more than you ever think or know." Miles looked at her with that heart melting smile. "I love you Belinda, so much that it hurts. So, please come back into my life." Miles said producing a ring. It was the same ring she'd left behind 16 years ago. Belinda looked at the ring as tears of joy rolled down her eyes.  She smiled broadly as she gave him a kiss. "I'll say that's a yes?" Miles asked as she nodded. "Yes! Yes! Yes!" she exclaimed as Miles pulled her in for another kiss.

^^^^^^^^^

WOW! I'm so happy I am finally able to finish this piece. so excited and so grateful to all my faithful readers and to those who shared this story and voted. Love you also much and thanks.

Epilogue in a bit.