Chapter 7

Edited 31/01/19
Chapter 7

2weeks later
"Oga, one aunty is here to see you" the gateman said as Miles walked outside. He stood there frozen in his steps. What was she doing? How dare she come here? What did the visit symbolize? These were among the many questions running through his mind. He prayed earnestly that Belinda will not come down stairs.
"What are you doing here? " He asked dragging her away from the house as Jessica flung his hands off hers.
"I have good news" she said smiling as she rubbed her stomach handing him an envelope. Miles opened it hurriedly, although he didn't need to read it to know it's contents.
"What is the meaning of this?" He asked tearing the paper.
"Can't you read or are you just playing dumb?" She asked. "I'm pregnant - 5 months pregnant."
Miles heard someone gasp behind him and turned suddenly. It was Belinda.
"Why.. why did you come down. I..I asked you to wait inside." He stuttered but she wasn't listening to him.
"What did you just say?" She asked Jessica. "Whose baby is that? "
"It's Miles." She said smiling. "Did you forget?" She asked Miles. "You were drunk and came to my house. " Miles wasn't in the mood to hear this.
"Get out of here before I come back." He barked at her as he led Belinda inside. She walked like she was in a daze. She pushed Miles hands off hers and walked in by herself. "Baby, I'm sorry." He said walking behind her as she raised her hands to shut him up.
"Just let me rest. I think all this is a dream. I'll wake up and everything will be back to normal. Right? " She asked turning to Miles.
"Tell me this is all a big joke." She said to him, hitting his chest. Miles held her hands and drew her to a hug. She cried as she stood in his grip. Her heart torn into two.
**********
Miles covered Belinda with the douvey. She had cried till she fell asleep. He looked at her. She looked tired. He lay beside her stretching his hands over her.
"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry for hurting you." He whispered into her sleeping ears as he kissed her cheeks.
***************
Miles rolled on the bed he couldn't sleep. Not after the horrifying dream he just had. "Are you ok?" Belinda asked. His turning definitely woke her up.
"Yes, sorry I woke you. I can't sleep."
" It's OK." She said snuggling close to him.
"Close your eyes and relax your mind." She said as they lay there. Miles hoped this dream never comes true, a dream where Belinda leaves him.
******************
The next day brought a different shade of Belinda. She was short circuited, annoying and frustrating. Miles could not understand the new her. Mum said it would come regularly. What she was experiencing was crazy mood swings. But he doubted that.
"Babe are you ok?" He asked confused. This was not pregnancy. She'd left early for work without preparing breakfast and now this evening there was no food on the table.
"What's the meaning of this love?" He asked annoyed but tried to control his temper. "You didn't cook for me?"
"Look Miles, I just came in from work and I'm tired. We should get a cook."
"You know I won't eat the food if it is from a stranger." he complained getting frustrated.
"Then it can't be helped." Miles was loosing it.
"What do you mean it can't be helped?"
" I can't do anything now I'm too tired."
"Belinda!" He exclaimed. Belinda turned surprised. A new wave of anger surged through her. Miles has never called her by her full name before.
"If your so hungry, you could meet your mum, sisters or...go meet Jessica."
"BELINDA!"
Miles had lost it. Belinda knew how bad his relationship with his sisters were and how he hated hearing about Jessica,yet she'd said these names to intentionally hurt him. He didn't get what made her get so cold.
"I really need to think." He said as he grabbed his keys and drove out of the house. He felt tears well up in his eyes. He was so stupid. Why did he have to sleep with her that fateful night.
*****
FLASH BACK
The words kept ringing in his ears.
"It's either you marry her or forget about the company." He'd gotten the devil for a father. He gulped down the third bottle of wine. He'd lived 27 years of his life pleasing his father. How did he expect it to end there. And now for the decision that mattered the most, his father still had to intervene, and he'd done it cruelly. No wonder his sisters despised him. To them, he was a coward who didn't deserve the company. He had
really liked Jessica and wanted to settle down with her. But it seemed all walls were crashing in on them. He'd go to her and apologize. He called his driver to take him down to her house.
Miles didn't remember any thing from the previous night except his waking up naked with Jessica next to him. He quickly dressed up and left while she was in the shower.
****/
PRESENT
Miles let the rain drench him. The rain that had suddenly started. His heart hurt badly. Belinda had loved him and he had hurt her greatly. But still, couldn't he say she was too hard on him. He needed her comfort as much as she needed his. This was those times he couldn't access her heart and read her innermost thoughts. These were the times he couldn't hold and comfort her. These were the times his heart really hurt. Belinda had been the first girl who'd understood him and loved him totally. Even Jessica couldn't. He walked back to the car and drove home.
*********
Belinda laid out the food on the center table rather than the dinning. She knew she was being harsh to him but she couldn't help herself. She was hurt, she was pained by the man she loved the most. She looked at the clock 00:50am. This was hopeless. She heard the door open and saw him walk in.
"Did you get something to eat?" She asked worried.
"No." He said walking to the laundry to get a towel. He came back drying himself. "Eat this, I'm going to bed." She said as Miles held her hand and drew her to the seat. He hugged her. "Thanks and I'm sorry." Belinda freed herself from his grip. "You'd get me wet, I'm going to bed."
She walked up the stairs and laid in bed. Her mind wandering over many issues. Her hurt heart craving for healing.