Chapter 19

Brooke set the table.  Everyone was mourning didn't mean they wouldn't eat.  She made a light meal of spaghetti and meatballs. Everyone was at the table except Miles, Belinda, Stephanie and Efe. "I'll go call them. " she said  wiping her hands dry with the hand towel.  She walked to the room and knocked. No response.  Slowly she pushed the door open.  She covered her mouth as a small gasp escaped.  Miles was lying beside Belinda while she was cuddled close to him. She smiled and closed the door.  Maybe her mum would get her wish now.
**********
Miles opened his eyes as he felt a hand on his waist. He opened his eyes and saw Belinda her hands were over his body while she cuddled close to him. He smiled and sat up gently removing her hands from his waist. Belinda opened her eyes , he'd forgotten she was a light sleeper. Are you okay? He asked as she slowly nodded. "That's great." He said smiling. "Have you gone to see Stephanie? "She asked. "No, I was waiting for you to wake up."  He answered as she nodded. I'll just get dressed she said.
"Are you sure you're okay? You look extremely tired. He said as she nodded. "I'm fine. "
Miles left the room giving her space to get dressed.
"You guys should eat before going anywhere." Brooke instructed as Belinda shook her head slowly. "Sorry sis but I have no appetite." Belinda said as she continued towards the door. Miles placed a hand on her shoulders. "You really need to eat if you want to be able to see Steph." Miles coaxed her as she bluntly shook her head. "I said I'm fine so please stop treating me like I'm a child she said with irritation lacing her voice. Miles ignored her clearly. He turned to Brooke. "please get her something to eat." He said
"What about you?" she asked, the tone of concern very clear.  "I'll eat when I get home or after I see Steph. "
"You know Miles, you can't come back after 16 years and start acting like a caring husband over again "Belinda flung those words at him. A flash of pain mixed with regret and hurt crossed his face but he was quick to cover it up as he turned to Belinda." A last, you remember I'm your husband" he said flashing her a charming smile. "Now don't get rude thinking you can push me away. It's hopeless. You probably know it by now. So just go eat. I'll be in the sitting room."
Brooke reappeared with a plate of food handing it over to Belinda but not without a slap across her shoulder. "What was that for? You've forgotten you're the one who called him here? Don't give him false hopes. "She shook her head." Let's talk about this later after all this is settled now eat up before Stephanie wakes up and gets another panic attack as to why you're not with her. That girl may be sixteen, but she's a baby once you're involved. "Brooke said as she smiled. "Well she's my baby and you know she detests hospitals." Belinda said "it's just sad how fast she's growing up. I wish she'd remain a child longer..."
'Or you wish you had another one "Brooke chipped in as Belinda flashed a sad smile.
***********
"Mum!" Stephanie exclaimed as they walked into the hospital room. "Hello baby." She said walking up to the bed. Efe was sitting beside his bed." You're here." He said giving Belinda a peck on her cheeks. "Are you feeling okay?" she asked as he nodded. "Uncle Miles you came?" Efe asked surprise written over his face. "It's my mother in-law stop looking so surprised." He said as he walked close to Stephanie and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I'll drop your cousin and be right back. He whispered to Steph as he turned to face Efe. "Let's go, I'll drop you home." No need, I'm fine really fine. "Efe insisted.
"Come on, you obviously need some rest and food before your dad slices off my head. Now don't argue, let's go." He said as Efe finally agreed. Efe walked over to Steph giving her a kiss on her forehead. "Oats and cake?" he asked as she nodded.
"Efe!" Belinda scolded. "A little won't hurt right." He said to Belinda winking at Steph as he walked out. They got into the car and started driving home.
"You obviously love Steph" Miles said looking at Efe who smiled back at him.
"You're saying that like I'm her boyfriend or something like that." Efe said with a chuckle.
"You guys definitely have a special relationship. It's like she turns to you for everything. There's this sparkle she has whenever you're around even I don't have that effect on her."
"Uncle you're jealous" Efe said with a huge grin as Miles smiled. "Guess I am."
"Well, Stephanie had always been my favorite baby. I guess she had me wrapped around her little finger even now. I just think she's beautiful inside and outside. She stole my heart a long time ago and still hasn't returned it." Efe said with a smile on his face. "Anyways " Miles said getting serious. "You should convince that girl to get her tooth treated before that stuff spreads."
"Believe me uncle, it's not easy to convince that lady." Efe said as Miles laughed, "Just like her mother two stubborn heads." Miles brought the car to a stop in front of the gate.
"Are you sleeping here?" Efe asked as Miles shrugged. "Don't think so. Might sleep at my own house. Gosh that place suddenly got extremely lonely these past few days." Miles said with a faraway look.
"I'm sure Stephanie would like to spend the weekend with you."
"I'd really like that." Miles said smiling. "Take care man, we'll talk later. "Miles said handing him his card. "Call me anytime you like." He said driving off.

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for reading.

What do you think is going on between Miles and Belinda? Do you see reconciliation?

Don't forget to vote and share.