Chapter 4

It's been two months since the wedding and the couple had not gone on their honeymoon. Miles sat in the parlor watching soccer when Belinda came down with a bottle of wine and two glasses. She placed it on the side stool and took a seat beside him. Miles turned to stare at her. She has on a red crop top and black bum short. Miles stared at Belinda as she placed the items on a side stool and sat beside him.
"Are you watching this or not? " She asked picking the remote to the decoder. Miles gave her a kiss on her cheeks as Belinda turned surprised.
"What was that?" She asked looking at Miles.
"You look beautiful. " He said as he pushed her hair back over her face. "Can't I at least do this? " He asked as he pulled her close and closed his lips over hers. Belinda felt a shock wave run over hers as he pulled her closer to himself. Belinda wanted to resist him but her will power was too weak to resist this. Her lips responded to his tempo until he released her gently.
She looked him over wide eyed. She stood up abruptly and ran back upstairs. What was going on with her? What was happening to her? Her heart beat like it was gonna burst out of her chest. She steadied herself on her bed as her hands went to her cheeks. They felt hot.
"Get a hold of yourself Belinda. Get a grip. Don't let yourself fall. Don't let him get you." She said to herself.
Miles smiled to himself as she ran upstairs. He didn't know what came over him but he was glad he did it. Her lips tasted sweet like strawberry and were also soft. He wished he could keep on doing that.  But he'd have to take it slowly.
*****
"Can't we finally have our honeymoon it's been two months already. " Miles asked her. They were having breakfast when he brought up the topic. Belinda tried to avoid it but she couldn't she'd avoided it for the past two months.
"Or are you afraid of anything?  Look, I know this is an arranged marriage but we need to pull it off properly."
He asked her looking at her face. She avoided his eyes by looking down at her plate. She knew going on this honey moon would risk her falling for him. She'd have to admit he was really a charmer. She was afraid of giving him her heart. She knew doing that would hurt after all, the marriage was just a contract. She finally looked up.
"Let's have it next weekend. " She finally said as Miles smiled. He'd gotten his chance. The wedding may have been a mistake but he'll make sure the marriage works out. He'll make sure he sweeps her off her feet. He wouldn't lose her not after he'd lost his heart to her because he'd fallen head over heels for this damsel.
*******
It's been another month and they still hadn't gone on their honeymoon. Miles had had it up to his neck with Belinda. He understood the fact that none of them wanted the marriage, but that didn't mean they couldn't make it work. Miles sat in the parlor talking to Belinda.
"It's the nth time I'm bringing this up, and I'm still getting the same reply." he said.
"Look, I understand what your saying but I have work to take care of at the company, there's important work which can't be ignored."
"Mum is getting suspicious,  you seem to forget she doesn't know about this arrangement. He said for lack of better word. " Besides, you of all people should know that that dumb lie won't work with me. You can delegate this work out, your just not interested." Miles said to Belinda as she picked up her phone which was ringing it was her secretary. Belinda answered the call ignoring whatever it was Miles was saying. He felt a surge of rage fill him. Picking up his car keys, he stormed out the house. Belinda ended the call just as he drove out of the compound. She sat back in the chair and ran her hands over her head. Was she being too much?
No, she couldn't risk falling more than she already had.
***********
Chidi sat in his chair. He looked around the office but his mind has gone elsewhere. His stupid son was totally smitten by that girl. Everything he'd done was a mistake. Miles was expected to destroy her life. He'd expected him to be strong and smart and to be wise not acting like some teenager. Miles walked into the office and greeted his father. Chidi walked around his table and came facing Miles. He answered by sending a slap across his face. Miles stumbled and fell a red mark showing clearly on his face. He felt his mouth bleed.
"D.. ad" he stuttered holding his cheeks as tears threatened to fall.
"You imbecile! After everything I told you. After all I gave to you, this is how you repay your father?" He roared at Miles.
"Look dad, I'm sorry ok. I really am but I can't do this. I can't take out my revenge on her. She's like the sweetest person I've ever met... " Miles started but was stopped by a kick to his stomach and another thunderous slap.
"Don't you dare give me that crap. A family that made mine beg and crawl in the mud. A family that ruined mine and destroyed us. Made us start from scratch..."
"Then you should never have forced this marriage.
*******
It's been three days since Miles left the house and Belinda had not heard a word from Miles. She sat on the dinning table eating a plate of noodles. She'd never felt that lonely in a long time and worried;partly due to the storm that started an hour after he left,  and partly due to the constant ache she felt. Miles found a way to make her feel entertained. Tears ran down her eyes. She'd come to realise that she loved him more than she'd like to admit. She abandoned the noodles after taking a few spoons. She was walking upstairs when she heard the gate open. Belinda ran downstairs as she saw Miles drive into the compound. She arrived just as he alighted the car. She walked down the stairs and looked at him.
"Where are you coming from?" She asked him annoyed.
"How can you disappear for three days without letting me know where you were. Do you know how worried I was. I thought something happened to you. How could you leave me here without letting me know where you were. Not even a phone call or a text message. I'm your wife for Heaven's sake. And I don't care if it's an arrangement or not. " Belinda screamed at him. Miles was taken aback by her action. She'd never gotten angry at him before ever. "Did you miss me?" He asked as she fell silent. She looked terrible. She walked inside visibly annoyed. He locked the car and followed her inside. She went straight to her room. His eyes went to the unfinished plate of noodles sat on the table as he walked upstairs. It looked really cold like she left it a long while ago. That meant she wasn't eating much. He felt guilty. He should not have left her the way he did. He walked over to her bedroom. It wasn't locked so he walked in. She was already asleep. Tears were dried on her face. She looked terrible. He sat down beside her and pulled the blanket over her. He placed a kiss on her forehead just as her eyes flew open. Miles had forgotten she was a light sleeper.
"Are you ok? " He asked as she turned he back to him. "Come on, look at me." He said trying to turn her face. "Go away, Miles, I want to be alone."
"You've been alone for three days. Are you still pushing me away? " He asked her but got no reply. He entered the bed and lay down beside her. She tried to turn away, but he pulled her closer.
"Look at me, please." he begged her. "I can't stand you staying mad at me." He pleaded as she looked up at him. Miles smiled at her. "I'm sorry I hurt you. I didn't mean to hurt you. "
"Where were you? " She asked.
"I was with my Mom, I missed her. "
"Is that why you didn't call? Is that why you ignored me for three days ? You didn't care how I was, how I felt; if I slept well, if I was lonely, if I was eating well. How could you be so mean and leave me alone in this huge house. " She was crying now. "You're so mean. Do you know that? You're mean." Miles embraced her.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know you'll get hurt. I promise never to leave you alone. Please don't cry. It hurts me to see you this way huh, pretty girl." Miles wiped her eyes and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "It's ok, I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere." He promised as she snuggled close to him falling asleep.
******