Chapter 11

Edited 1/2/19
Chapter 11
Miles looked at her.
"What kind of nonsense is that? He asked
''I'm just telling you, because sometimes you do insanely crazy things. Don't think of that girl moving even beside the gate outside. Once you make that move, I'll leave your life. After all, the marriage was a contract." She said angrily. Miles felt hurt by her words. "Is that still how you see our marriage, after this much time?"
"No, but I can and will easily see it as a contract, if you do that. Ignore her as much as you need to. Stop yielding to all her requests. Even I don't ask you, my husband for so much, why now another woman. I've been quiet over this issue, but I will speak up now. Don't think about that, not even a bit." Miles looked at her where she sat on the sofa.
"How long gone are we?" He asked to change the subject. He knew exactly how old his baby was. "5 months gone." She said sighing. "Time isn't running as fast as I want it to."
"Congratulations, you've  passed your second trimester. Your working hard." He said as she smiled. "I really am."
******
Miles took in a deep breath he knew he wasn't being fair to Belinda but he couldn't help it.
"What do you want to talk about?" Belinda asked looking up from the novel she was reading.
"I'm planning on bringing in Jessica. Her expected delivery date is next month. I want her to have the baby here." He finished looking at Belinda whose gaze returned back to the novel.
"Aren't you saying anything about it?" He asked as she gave no earlier reply.
"I've already given my answer concerning this issue, don't push me." She finished quietly but firmly.
Miles looked at her. There was no need to be difficult. "She'll leave once she gives birth..."
"Miles please." She replied angrily. "If you want to see my real anger concerning this issue then dare me and I'll
let as much as her bags sit at that gate. I'll act then."
"There's no need to be stubborn, I'm bringing her into the boys quarters, she'll leave after delivery." He said picking his jacket and leaving for work. Belinda flung the book and cried. Miles valued her so much as to treat her opinion this way, not minding how she felt about it. She called her cousin in Abuja and asked her to buy a house there. If Miles would treat her this way, she should act too.
* The next week *
Belinda sat in the parlour when she heard the sound of a car. She rushed out to greet Miles only to see Jessica drive in.
"What are you doing here?" She asked.
"What do you mean?" Jessica sarcastically replied.
"Your husband asked me to move in. " Belinda smiled and walked in covering her shock and hurt perfectly. She called Miles.
"What is Jessica doing here?" She asked angrily.
"I asked her to move in. She is staying in the boys quarters, don't do anything about it. I'll see you when I get home." Miles said.
"What about what I want,  don't you care in the least? "
"Babe , please stop being overdramatic. I'll see you when I get home. "
"I'm being overdramatic right?  This is the only thing I've asked from you. Why do you always bend to her will, I'm your wife for heaven's sake, me Miles, not her. Do you even love me?"
"Of course I do,  what sort of question is that? "
"No, you don't. If you did,  you'd have done this small thing for me."
"Belinda... "
"We'll see when you get home" She said, her mind made up.
Belinda ran upstairs. He dared to treat her this way. She pulled out her box and threw in all her clothes. She was done with him. As she rampaged through the wardrobe, her eyes flew to a file she'd never seen before. she opened it and was thrown into shock. It was their marriage certificate and attached to it was a document stating that all her properties belonged to Miles including the company. Hot tears of regret rushed out of her eyes. She'd been done by the one man she loved dearly. She broke into a loud sob as she threw the file into her briefcase. This had only strengthened her resolve. She booked the next available ticket out of the state. She wiped her tears and took in a deep breath. It was so clear now. Miles had no regard for her. All that he was interested in was her body and company. He clearly didn't love her, because you don't hurt someone you love. You don't disregard someone you love. You listen to them. Leaving her rings on the table she threw her things into a cab, and left for the airport. She boarded the plane. She was done with this life.
************
Miles returned to an empty house. No sign of any one and she wasn't picking her calls. He saw her rings on the table. But if didn't register. Maybe,  she went out. He returned from taking a shower and opened the cupboard. Only then did it register in his brain. She'd left him. She'd meant what she said and left him. She was so sensitive to this issue and he was blind to see it. He began to call frantically, but there was no answer, no one knew where she was. He'd lost gold for marble. His worst nightmare been made manifest by his very hands.
********
Chidi smiled to himself as he dropped his phone. He let out a hearty laugh. Adewilliams Olufemi,  Belinda's father had destroyed him years ago, and now,  he'd taken what mattered most to him.
Chidi worked on Salamander's farm as a farm hand. He was a young boy then struggling to support his aged parents before the theft occurred.  500 birds had been stolen and he being the only person at the scene was put in jail. He'd pleaded innocent, even swore with everything sacred. He was in that he'll hole when his father died from his asthma attack. No one was there to help and his Ventolin inhaler had been exhausted. There and then he'd sworn to destroy and he'd done it. He didn't care if it was at his son's expense.
*******
Thanks for reading
Hope you enjoyed it ❤         Do you think Belinda's decision was too rash?
Should she have stayed?
Do you think they'll come back together?