Chapter 18

Femi was feeling as miserable as can be. None of the neighbors wanted to talk to him after the incident with Steph. He still couldn't figure out what made her so special to them. He honestly felt bad for destroying her watch and wanted to make it up to her in as many ways as possible. He also knew he had ruined his chances of becoming friends with her and felt terrible about it. He didn't understand why he could not get her out of his mind. She was like an obsession and it was sickening him. He pulled a navy blue shirt over his head and put on a faded brown shorts. He was going to apologize to her not regarding how she reacted to him. "I'm going next door mum." He called out. He walked out just as Stephanie came down from a black Toyota Esquire jeep alongside a young and handsome man. If Femi didn't know better, he'd have thought the man was her elder brother. He must be her dad, he thought approaching the man. "Good evening sir," he greeted. As the man nodded in acknowledgement. He faced Steph. "Can we talk for a minute?" he asked as she looked him over.
"It's okay dad, you can go now. I'll talk to mum, promise." She said giving him a kiss on his cheeks as he smiled. "Make up your mind so I can fix a date. Okay" he asked as she nodded.
"What do you want? "Stephanie asked me harshly
"I wanted to apologize, I've been feeling terrible about what I id. And I know I wronged you greatly. I'm really sorry for destroying your watch. I know I can't replace it but I got you this as a peace offering. He said offering her a box. Stephanie looked him over before accepting the box. She opened it and was greeted by a beautiful bracelet.
"I can't take it." She said handing it back to him as his face fell.
"Where did you get money for that?" she asked
"Mum gave me money for it. She got angry I destroyed something as important as that and gave me money to buy something for you." He said while looking at the ground.
"Please, accept it." He said handing it back to her. She accepted it with a nod. "It's okay and besides you didn't have to do this, dad got me a new one."
"I'm forgiven?' he asked nervously as she nodded and smiled. He smiled back.
"thanks." He said
"I um ...have to go. Mum is waiting he said as Steph nodded, she entered the house as it was getting windy.
************
"You're home early. " Efe said looking at her
"Yeah. Why's the place so quiet. "
"Everyone is upstairs." He said "let's go up." He took her hand as they walked upstairs. Stephanie looked around surprisingly all her relatives were seated in the parlor. She knew her uncle Ross never showed up unless to pick her cousins. Aunt Brooke was another story altogether. Everyone was looking sad. She saw her mum trying to control her tears as she entered the room. Stephanie walked up to her.
"What's wrong mum? Did something happen at the office?" She asked nervously. Belinda held her hands inside hers as she rubbed her palms together. She barely managed to look her in the eyes." My baby, (sobs) your grandma (sobs) died." Belinda said hardly able to get the words out before fresh tears begun to run down her eyes. Stephanie looked around in shock totally unable to understand what was happening as hot tears ran down her eyes. "NO! NO!" she screamed "she can't die. Not after everything she promised me, not after all the promises she made to me." She said as Belinda embraced her.
"NO! NO! "She sobbed as Belinda getting lost in the hug. "It's okay baby, cry it out. Baby, cry it all out." Belinda said as Stephanie cried harder. She couldn't believe her grand mum was dead. She'd promised to hang out with her this holiday. She also promised that she'd attend her prom. But none of it was possible now. Stephanie didn't know how long she had cried but right now she felt extremely weak. Her voice wasn't audible anymore, Stephanie could feel the energy sap out of her body as she felt blackness envelope her.
**********
Miles could not remember the last time he drove this fast. Not even when had looked for Belinda 16 years ago. He arrived at the house and met Belinda pacing around the room. She ran into his embrace as she sobbed. Miles ran his hand over her back. He was glad she thought of him in her worst moments.
"I'm so so sorry. I can't believe this happened. She was so vibrant and full of life. To think it will end all too soon.
"It was a natural death alright but I just can't believe she's dead. She wasn't supposed to die Miles, not like this. I look at her and I'm like she's just sleeping. She'll soon wake up, but there's no coming back."  Belinda said sobbing. "Stephanie is so devastated, she even fainted." He said Miles got alarmed. "Is she okay?" he asked as she nodded. "The doctor said she's in shock. She's at the hospital. Efe's with her. "
"It's going to be okay. Everything will turn out fine." Miles said running his hands over her back as she sobbed into his chest. "Well let's get you rested. Where's your room?" he asked as she pointed in its direction. Miles walked her to the room and helped her lie in bed. He fought the strong urge to jump in with her and settled for sitting beside her. "Get some sleep okay" he said patting her hair. "You look a mess." He said as she closed her eyes. He placed a kiss on her forehead as she snuggled deeper into the blanket.