Chapter 9

Edited 1/2/19
Chapter 9
"You look stunning dear" Chidera, Miles mum said giving Belinda a hug.
"What has Miles been feeding you?" She asked laughing as Miles smiled.
"He hasn't been taking good care of me. It's always work that has his attention. I feel like he's married to his work." Belinda complained. Chidera looked at Miles.
"Take better care of my daughter. Unless you want us to get into a fight." She said as Miles smiled.
'Yes ma. I'll leave you to your other visitors." He said leading Belinda inside.
*****
"You'll do it for me right. It's a favor you owe me." He said
"You have a horrible personality, do you know?" A lady asked him in disgust as he laughed.
"I'm doing enough as it is."
"That's why we should mind who knows our secrets." He said
"If I do this will you leave me be?" She asked
"Of course"
" I hope so. Striking a deal with you is like striking a deal with the devil. " She said walking out as he laughed. He wanted it. All of it and nothing will stop him from destroying it.
*******
The fund raiser had gone well. Miles and Belinda donated a million Naira to the cancer research. They greeted Chidera good night. Luckily for Miles, his dad didn't come. He had a meeting outside the country. They walked to the car.
"I'm exhausted." Belinda said resting on the car seat.
"Why didn't you tell her about it? " He asked as Belinda looked at him knowing exactly what he talked about - Jessica.
"What should I have said?" She asked him. "Look sweet, I'm exhausted, so don't stress me further." She said as he massaged her fingers.
"I'm sorry. " he apologized.
"Wat do you want to eat?" He asked.
"Some rare delicacy." She said resting her head on his shoulders as Miles smiled. "Do you want it hot or cold?" He asked cunningly. Belinda hit his shoulders and laughed. They drove home talking about the dinner.
Belinda cuddled beside Miles as she tried to fall asleep. She was having difficulty sleeping. "I love you." She said to him. As he smiled playing with her hair. She had long beautiful brown hair. It was one of the things he loved about her. "Love you plenty baby." He said taking her lips in his.
*****
weeks later.
*****
Belinda lay on the bed. It was a cold night and she felt it. Cold and lonely.
For the past one week, Miles had been keeping late nights and it annoyed her greatly. To worsen things, her insomnia had worsened. He hardly had time for anything or anyone except his job. She threw the blanket back and went to get a cup of hot tea. Just then her phone rang. She had left it downstairs, in the parlor. She picked it up and looked at the caller ID- Miles. A smile formed on her lips and disappeared almost immediately. She knew exactly why he was calling. "I'm sorry baby, extremely sorry. I can't..."
"It's ok, I understand" she said cutting him off. She could not bear to hear the same annoying news.
"Are you sure you're ok?" He asked as she cut the call. How could he ask her such a question.
Miles was surprised at her reaction.
He tried calling her back, but she refused his calls. He felt terrible for treating her this way, but there was nothing he could do to change it. He had a deadline to meet. He sighed and rested his head on his table.
**************
The next morning.
****************
Belinda didn't get a wink of sleep last night. She kept rolling around in bed, her mind returning continually to Miles. It wasn't his fault that he was busy. She put on a blue gown. Her hair hung on her shoulder the way he liked it. She packed a lunch box and change of clothes for Miles. She drove down to his office.
************
Miles came out of the office. He needed a change of clothes and some fresh air. As he steeped out of the office and into the parking lot, he ran into an old friend. Miranda.
"Wow, look at what the cat dragged in." She said walking over to Miles. He embraced her and kissed the air around her right cheeks. He was about doing the same on her left cheek when their lips met. Miles felt his brain numb for a second before it finally came back to work. He pushed her back.
"I'm sorry. It was unintentional." She said cleaning her lips as Miles did the same. She smiled at him as he reciprocated the smile nervously.
***"***
Belinda sat back I'm her car. So this was what was going on. She took a deep breath and tried to relax. She steeped down from the car and walked over to Miles.
"Sweetheart." She called slowly as he smiled. That smile that melts her heart and makes her feel like a teenager. That smile of Miles. She pushed it behind her and hugged him pulling away when he was about to kiss her.
"Babe, meet my friend Miranda, Miranda Belinda, my wife." She smiled tightly at her and held Miles hands. "Sorry Miranda, let's talk later." He said as he took Belinda inside.
"I came to give you these." She said dropping the bags on the table. "I'm going." Miles held her hand.
"Babe, why are you so upset ? Cause I'm keeping late nights? Cause I'm not with you? I'm really sorry ok." Miles apologized as Belinda nodded. To him she was fragile like an egg in a wet hand. "I'm really sorry. Love " he said kissing her forehead. Belinda withdrew immediately his lips touched her skin. Miles felt her recoil. It was the second time. The first was when he'd tried to kiss her outside. He wanted to hold her, kiss her senseless , comfort her and she was acting this way.
"What is the matter?" He asked
She was silent. She picked her purse and walked out. Miles ran after her.
"Babe?" He asked when he caught her half way down the stairs.
"Why did you kiss her?" She asked covering her mouth like she tasted something bitter.
"It was a mistake." Miles said hurt showing over his face. "I'm sorry. It's the truth. You know I can't hurt you."
He said trying to hug her but she walked back.
"Really now, what do you think abandoning me all alone at home is, not minding if my insomnia is worse? Don't act saint with me. You went to the bank to pay money into Jessica's account. Did you tell me that?"
Miles was stunned. She knew. He couldn't understand why she was getting so upset. The late nights must have triggered off her doubts. "I'm really sorry..." Miles said as she raised her hands. "I couldn't sleep last night. Please I need to rest." She said entering her car and driving off.
"S**t!!" He screamed kicking the dust. He couldn't take this. It felt like he was dying inside. He ran upstairs picked his keys and drove home.
*****
Thanks for reading
Hope you enjoyed it ❤