Chapter 1 - Job Is Unfair

Chapter 1 - Job is unfair

Kate Beckett's POV

Finally, home sweet home! I thought as I put down my bags on my apartment floor.

I looked around and could see all the dust being all over the place. I sighed deeply and started to clean it all up.

This is going to take a while... I thought and looked at the time.

Lanie Parish was coming over in about one hour, and Jenny Duffy-O'Malley was probably comming as well. If Lanie came, then Jenny wouldn't be long behind. Not that Jenny followed Lanie, but since it was hard for us to get together they often came together. I was walking around the apartment and tried to make it as clean as I could until I suddenly heard a knock on the door. Since the time wasn't friend-time I quickly went to my drawer and pulled out the gun and the silencer that was in there. I sneaked to the door and looked out the little hole to see who it was. To my relief it was Lanie and Jenny, who were too early for my liking. I opened the door and flowers were stuffed in my face.

"Welcome home sister!" Lanie and Jenny screamed at the same time and i couldn't help but laugh.

I took the flowers and they attacked me with a grouphug. I managed to throw the gun to the floor before they attacked me since I wasn't sure it wouldn't go off with them around me.

"When will you ever learn to not come before the time we set?" I asked accusingly but I couldn't hide the smile on my lips.

"When you stop cancelling as soon as we are about to meet" Lanie said and I rolled my eyes.

I was about to say something but Jenny interrupted.

"We know, we know, you have your job and can't help when you get an assignment" she said and shook her head.

I laughed and hugged them once again. I loved this girls.

"Wow, here's so dusty" Lanie said looking around and I sighed.

I went and closed the door behind them and picked up the gun on the floor. They looked at me with those are-you-serious-looks and I shrugged.

"What? For what I know you could have been some guys being ordered to kill me" I defended.

They both sighed and I got to my drawer and put down the gun and it's silencer again.

"Why did you have to become a spy? We never get to see each other" Jenny asked with a sad face and once again brought up the famous conversation they always had to bring up.

I sighed and went to the kitchen part. I took out some red wine from the fridge and poured up three glasses. She gave two of the glasses to her friends and took a sip from her own.

"You know why i do this, you of all people knows why and what I'm doing" I said and I was definitely not smiling anymore.

"Kate, I know your mom was killed while being out on a mission and then it was covered up as a random gang killing gone wrong, but that does not mean she would want you to get killed by your own just like her" Lanie said and I ignored it.

"I know what I'm doing might not seem like the right thing to do, but this is the only way to feel closer to her" I said and I made sure to sound like I wasn't going to talk about it anymore.

They got the clue and changed the subject.

"Did you meet any interesting guys in Paris?" Lanie asked with a smirk and I laughed.

"That is so typical of you to ask, but no, I didn't meet anyone more than those I worked against" I said, trying to avoid the word kill.

Lanie looked like she was disappointed and so did Jenny. Jenny wasn't really the dating type but she was quite sad about me not being able to date.

"Girl, I'mma smack you if you don't get out soon" Lanie threatened and I just laughed.

"Sure, you could always try" I said and winked.

She rolled her eyes at my try to joke about it. Sure I was able to date but I would have to lie to the guy about pretty much everything and I didn't feel like putting any guy through that.

"Kate? Is that thing supposed to do that?" Jenny asked frightened and I looked at the object she was pointing at.

It was my ipad she was referring to which started to blink in a blue colorish. I sighed.

"A new assignment" I said and went to the table picking up my iPad.

I logged into it and put it on the table again, the upper part facing the white wall I had in front of me. A screen appeard on the wall and I looked at the text that was all over the wall.

"Agent Beckett, your new assignment is Richard Castle, no questions asked" a voice said and I looked all over the text.

It didn't say much, but on the other hand it rarely did.

"Kate, why would they want you to get rid of a writer?" Lanie asked scared.

"I don't know, wait... you know who he is?" I asked surprised.

"Well, he's the one who wrote all those Derrick Storm books" I looked at her shocked.

"You mean the Derrick Storm books?" I asked and pointed to my bookshelf.

Lanie and Jenny followed my eyes and both nodded.

"Who else could it be?" Jenny asked.

"You can't do it, Kate" Lanie said determined.

I turned my head towards her and wrinkled my forehead. What did she mean by that?

"You can't kill the man who's books helped you through your mother's death" Lanie said like it was obvious.

I sighed and looked at the documents on the wall.

"I don't get to decide, Lanie, it's my job not to ask questions, it's my job to do whatever they tell me to do" I said and clicked away the text from the wall on my iPad.

I knew by the look on Lanie's face it wasn't enough but I knew i couldn't do anything about it. If I didn't kill him, they would send someone else to do it, and then they would probably fire me for not doing my work.

"Katherine Houghton Beckett, don't do this" Lanie said and it felt like she was going to kill me if I didn't listen to her.

"We shouldn't be thinking about this, not now. Come on, let's go out and eat" I said and they nodded.

We left my apartment and decided to go to a club. I didn't really want to think about the job at this moment so the second we got inside I went to the bar and ordered some drinks. There was a lot of guys there checking me out and one of them offered to pay for my drinks. I nicely thanked him and he gave the money to the bartender. On my way to my friends I smirked. It was ridicolous how easy it was for a girl to get free drinks from not so innocent guys. I got to my friends and I drank bottom up without any hesitation.

"If you keep that up, you'll be drunk before the night is over" Jenny warned but I just shrugged.

I didn't care at the moment, I just needed to forget about the argue we had before. I didn't want to do anything but have fun. No work, no nothing. That's the last I remember before the drinking became a shadow to my memories.

A/N:

Please let me know what you think in comments! :-)