Chapter 5 - Too Good For Me

Kate beckett's POV

I sat inside his bedroom. I couldn't believe Lanie had said that. I didn't need to get lectured up. I knew I had been drinking too much, I just hadn't cared at the moment. I needed to just relax and I couldn't do that sober. If I was sober I was always tense. My body was always ready for whatever would come, and I just needed to get away from that a little. And one night every now and then wasn't bad right? Maybe she is right, maybe I should stop. After some minutes I heard a knock on the bedroom door and I remembered I wasn't alone in this loft. Rick came inside, I didn't see him since I had my head in my hands but I could hear him get closer. He sat down beside me and I felt the warmth from his body coming at me, so did the calm he felt.

"Heey" he said with this softest voice I had ever heard.

I looked up at him and I tried to smile. He didn't need to deal with this, he seemed like a wonderful guy, plus he was ruggedly handsome, and he definitely did not need to have a girl like myself in his life. I was only trouble.

"Hey" I decided to whisper cause I knew my voice would break if I spoke, yet it made no difference, it broke anyway.

I could see something change in his blue, deep eyes and his arms were suddenly wrapped around me. I stiffened since I didn't know what was happening and it was a reflex. But after a few minutes my body started to relax and I was surprised by that. All the tension, that usually never leaved my body when I was awake and sober, left. Just like that. Gone.

Slowly I put my head gently against his shoulder and we stayed like that for a while before any of us decided to break the comfortable silence.

"You want to talk about it?" he carefully asked and I immediately shook my head against his shoulder.

"No" I mumbled.

I never wanted to leave this room, his arms. There was a static which had been floating inside my veins ever since his arms first touched me and I kind of liked it. I liked the way his embrace made me feel like home, and his scent was wonderful. But I shouldn't stay here, couldn't. I had a job which I would never be able to tell him, and one day the job might get him killed. I didn't care much for me but if we both ended up dead because of me I would never forgive myself. I started to pull away from his comfy arms and avoided looking into his eyes.

"I should probably go, I guess you have things to do and I... I have things too" i stumbled across the words and I looked up when I saw that he shook his head.

"I have the day off, why don't you stay and we could... watch a movie" he said and I thought about it for a moment.

I met his eyes and he reached out his hand to my cheek and wipes away the tears I'd had there during this whole conversation. The feeling from his hand was nice and it started to bubble inside of me. This feeling was completely new to me, I didn't know what was going on.

"I'd like that" I answered and I couldn't help but smile.

We stood up and Rick took my hand and led me into the living room. We sat down on the floor and he took out as many of his movies as he could and we spread them out to look them through.

"How about this?" Rick asked and held up a James Bond movie.

Without even thinking about it I shook my head violently. He looked at me with question in his eyes.

"I don't feel like a spy movie" I said without mentioning it reminded too much of my own life.

I wanted something normal, or something that didn't have too much action in it. I looked down at the movies again, trying to find something I could suggest instead of the Bond-movie. I took up the first movie I kind of thought looked good, without thinking about it was a guy I was going to watch it with.