Chapter 40 - Meeting Some People

Kate Beckett's POV

Once we had gotten out of the plane Rick took out his phone and first he called his mother and told her that he was going to do something and that if they didn't hear from him again they should continue with their fake identities and not look for either him or me. I had watched him as he made the call, trying to find out if he regretted the decision since I knew he wouldn't want to leave his family. Maybe I should do it alone, it was all my fault anyway. It was my mother who had found them. It was me they were afraid were going to try find out what had happened to her. Rick really had only gotten in the crosshairs because he was one of their smartest agents. I sighed, I knew Rick would never let me do that. And even if I managed to run away from him and try doing it on my own I knew he would follow me. He was calm on the phone and from what he said his mother was worried but understood why he was going to do what we were going to do. Once he was done he met my gaze. I wrinkled my forehead and his eyes asked me what I was thinking.

"You didn't talk to your daughter?" I asked and he looked down with a hard gulp.

"No" he said and I could see the guilt he felt.

"W-why?" I stuttered.

"Because" he started and took my hands in his "because I know that if I do she will try to convince me not to go, and I just can't stand the thought of her thinking I might not make it."

He looked at me with sorrow in his eyes and I felt a lump in my throat.

"Then maybe you shouldn't, I can do it. I can do it by myself, no need for you to get hurt" I said and he widened his eyes.

"Not gonna happen" he said with a serious voice.

He bent down and pecked my lips. I nodded. We went out of the airport and to my surprise we found the girls outside waiting for us. Lanie and Jenny both ran towards me and attacked me with a groupe hug.

"What are you doing here?" I gasped and hugged them back.

Over their shoulders I saw Rick walking to a dark skinned man who stood beside a white skinned one. I figured that must be the buddies I had been talking to when I had called the girls the other day. What were their names again? Did I ever get to know?

"Rick texted Javi while I was at his place, and I decided to go along. I called Jenny and she agreed" Lanie said and we pulled away.

"Kev said I could come along once I asked him" Jenny said and I smiled at them.

"How's it going between you and writerboy?" Lanie asked with a smirk on her face.

I bit my lip and blushed. Lanie squeeked and Jenny clapped her hands excitedly.

"Stop" I said blushing even more.

"What are you girls talking about?" Rick and the guys came close to us and Rick saw my blushing cheeks.

He smiled at me and put his arm around my hip, leaning down and kissed my right cheek.

"So, you need help?" the dark skinned man asked putting an arm around Lanie's shoulders and I figured he must be Javi.

Then the other guy must be Kev. He and Jenny interwtined fingers and I felt so happy for my girls. I looked at Rick and we decided together.

"No, not gonna happen" we both said at the same time and looked at our friends.

They looked at us with shocked faces but I could see proud in Lanie's eyes.

"But then why did you text us?" Javi asked and looked at Rick.

"Becaue we needed a ride, and maybe we could stay at your apartment while we hide and get our plan out?" Rick asked nicely.

Javi and Kev looked at each other.

"You have weapons at their places?" I asked turning to Rick.

"No, but at least it's someplace" Rick said with a shrug.

I looked at Lanie and Jenny and both nodded.

"I know a better place then, where's the cars?" I asked and Lanie left Javi's side to take my hand.

Jenny took my other and they led me to the cars. The guys followed us and kept asking what we were talking about but none of us said anything. When we got to the cars we split up. Lanie and me in one car together with Rick and Jenny was going to drive the second car with Javi and Kev. Without any more words we drove off.

"Come on Kate, tell me where we're going" Rick complained and I shook my head.

"How did you take it when she told you all about the mission?" Lanie asked and turned in her seat to look back at Rick who was in the back seat.

"What do you mean? Once I got to know who she was I knew we had to run away" Rick said and Lanie met my eyes.

"He had the order to kill me as well" I said and when I glanced at her she looked at me shocked.

"Where are we going?" Rick tried again.

"Patience, oh, and shouldn't you call whoever you though could help us?" I said and he lit up.

"Right! Almost forgot about that" he said and I rolled my eyes with a small smile on my face.

I could feel Lanie look at me with a stupid smile on her face. She had always wanted me to meet someone I could live with. Someone I could spend the rest of my life with. I hadn't been able to think about that stuff when I worked and was too drowned in my mom's death. Lanie had made me go to dates she set up for me, guess this was the one date she actually succeeded with. Even though it hadn't technically been a date. I figured I owed her a thanks because of what she did. If she hadn't let this man take care of me, take me home to him, I would've killed him and never gotten to know him. If it wasn't for her I would've never fallen in love with him.

"Thank you" I said under my breath.

Rick hadn't heard me but I knew she had. She shifted a little in her seat and said 'no problem' before we could hear Rick start talking to whoever was in the other line of that phone.