Chapter 9 - Truth Hurts

Kate Beckett's POV

I had been surprised when I had seen Rick in his car outside my building. I had broken apart right in front of him but it hadn't bothered me that much. He had seen me breaking down before. When we had talked I had seen that he still didn't know what was going on, though it looked like he almost knew something was dangerous with this place. He had taken my hand and led me to his car. Once he had taken off he had asked me some more, but I had told him to wait. I didn't want to be able to get thrown out of the car in case he thought I was going to hurt him.

I followed him up to his loft, or more, he dragged me up to his loft. It felt like he was afraid I was going to turn around and run away from him, which I would never be able to do. Not now, not ever. I was still wearing his clothes since I hadn't gotten a chance to change before I left my apartment. When we were inside his loft he locked the door behind us and I went to the couch but I could sit down so I just kept on pacing along the size of the couch. Back and forth, back and forth. I can do this, I hope. Rick walked towards me and when I glanced up at him he looked at me with worry in his eyes.

"Kate?" he said and I nodded.

It was time, time to tell him. The big question was if he would accept it or if he was going to make me leave him. I still had my gun in his pants on my back. In case something was going to happen, was the thought I had had when I decided to take it with me.

"I think you should sit down" I started and pointed to the couch.

He raised his eyebrow but obeyed me.

"Uhm" where was I supposed to start?

"Come here" Rick said and took my hand and pulled me down in his lap.

That's when I could feel his hand on my back. I jumped up and shook my head.

"What do you have there?" Rick asked with a suspicious look on his face.

This was not going as I had planned. But then, I hadn't really planned at all.

"I-I" I stumbled across my words.

"Ok, take a deep breath and tell me what's going on" Rick demanded and I bit my lip.

I took a deep breath and I could feel the tears coming again.

"I'm not who you think I am" I started. "I-I'm a spy, an agent who's assignment is to get rid off people" I breathed.

He looked at me with wide eyes.

"The night you took care of me, was the night I got a new mission. I had no idea who the guy was more than that he was a writer who's books saved me once" I took another deep breath. "Since Lanie and Jenny didn't want me to leave again so soon I decided to go to the club with them. There I kind of drank just to get my mind of the work" I was ashamed of that part. "The next thing I know is that I'm waking up here, completely dressed and with no idea where I was or who could be in the next room" I decided to take another deep breath.

I was surprised Rick hadn't interrupted me yet but his face had turned into a poker face. I was afraid but I needed to keep talking before he would think I had been fooling him or something.

"Then I got to know you and, I don't even know how this is possible but, I fell for you. It was first today when I got home and decided to look at my mission that I saw all the pictures of you being my target that I understood I had been falling for my enemy" I paused for a few seconds. "I love you, and I would never be able to... kill you" I choked on the last part.

My tears had been streaming down my face like a flood and I was sobbing and I couldn't stop. I didn't know what to do, all he was showing was a poker face and it made it feel even worse. What if he won't love me back? What if he won't forgive me? What if? All the thoughts that circled around my head was negative and I couldn't take it anymore. I sank down on the floor and put my head in my hands and let go off all the tears.

I don't know for how long I sat there, it could have only been just a minute or two but it felt like an eternity. That's when I felt a hand on my back and I could feel him removing my gun. This is it, he's going to shoot me, I thought and prepered myself mentally to die.

"Come on" he said and he put his arms around me and pulled me up to stand.

I looked up at him and then on the table, where he had put my gun.

"Then I suppose it's you who are Katherine Houghton Beckett?" Rick asked and more tears slipped my eyes when I nodded.

He sighed but when he looked me in my eyes I could see something, something that I had never seen in someone else.

"Kate, I don't want you dead either" he said and he put a hand on my cheek, wiping away the tears. "I was assigned to kill you, and same as you I really had no idea it was you. But even if I tried I wouldn't be able to shoot you, you know why?" he asked and waited for me to answer, so I just shook my head. "Because I fell for you too" he said and through my tears I couldn't help but smile.

"Really?" I asked and he wiped away the rest of my tears.

"I love you" he said.

The lump I had felt in my throat was gone and there were butterflies in my belly. He took my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"What should we do? Where should we go?" I asked and he looked at me.

"As long as we are together, I don't really care" he said and bent down.

His lips were pressed to mine and the kiss was slow and passionate.