Chapter 13 - Deciding Location

Kate Beckett's POV

On the ride to my apartment I threw away a text to my girls. I told them not to worry about me and that I would contact them as soon as I could possibly do. Once the car stopped outside my home we sat for a few minutes in silence before I decided to break it.

"If you don't want to you can wait..." but before I could finish the sentence he shook his head and interrupted me.

"No, I'll come with you" he said and I tried to hide my smile.

I opened the door and steered my steps towards my building. I heard his footsteps behind me and I couldn't stop the smile from forming on my lips anymore. I stuck out my tongue between my teeth. I felt his hand sneak into mine and our fingers automatically intertwined. We walked into the building and the tension in my body returned. I was surprised it had been gone for this long but I decided not to think too much about it. Instead I looked around without showing that I was.

"See something?" Rick whispered in my ear and I shook my head.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Which could mean nothing. We stepped into the elevator and I pushed the button for my floor and once the door closed I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Rick asked and I looked at him.

"I just wish this never happened. Now I can't stop thinking about how great it would be to have a normal life... with you... and all I can see is all the running we'll have to do instead" I sighed again and Rick looked at me with hopeful eyes.

"We'll figure it out" he said and when I gave him a wondering look he added "why they are after us. If we can figure that out, we can free ourselves".

A small smile appeared on my lips. I loved how hopeful he sounded, like we really would be able to get out of this and live a normal life.

"You really think so?" I had to ask, I needed to know if he really thought we could get through this.

"I do, as long as we are together" he answered and squeezed my hand, reassuring me that he wouldn't leave me.

My cheeks became warmer and the ding from the elevator informed us we were there. The doors opened and we turned to go out from the elevator. As we were about to take a step outside I looked towards my apartment door and the second I saw the man by my door I pulled Rick back and pushed the button downstairs. When he looked at me and were about to ask what was wrong I hold up my finger in front of my mouth, signaling him to keep quiet. The doors closed again and we were on our way down.

"One of the spies I work with sometimes, he was here" I said with wide eyes and I took out my gun from the back of my pants.

I could see his eyes harden and he bent down to pull out a gun from his leg right above his shoe. We kept our guns down, but ready enough in case someone would try surprise us when the elevator doors would open.

"I'm sorry I dragged you in here" I breathed.

I felt his gaze but refused to look at him. My eyes were on the door, which were to open any second now.

"Not your fault" he said as the ding came.

We stood at each side of the elevator and glanced out in the lobby. Clear. We moved out and towards his car as fast as we could without actually running. We reached the car and we jumped inside. My phone started ringing and it was Cole Burke, the man from my apartment. I thought of not answering but decided that would be to risky.

"Beckett" I said into the phone.

"Where the hell are you, Beckett?!" Burke answered furious.

"Out, I'm shadowing my target" I lied as perfectly as I could.

It wasn't totally a lie, since I was actually out and I was near my target. I just didn't tell him I was with the man I was sent to kill.

"Well, the boss want it done ASAP, so don't screw it up. Tell me where you are and I can help you" he said and I shook my head though I knew he couldn't see me.

Rick was on his way to turn the key in the ignition to the car but I put my hand on his and stopped him. When he looked at me I pointed first on my phone and then up to my apartment. He nodded once to show he got what I meant.

"It's ok, I got this one" I said into the phone.

I heard Burke sigh.

"Fine, but if you need help, remember I'm just a phone call away" he said and hung up.

"Yeah, right" I said and clicked the red bubble to end the call.

I looked at Rick and let go of his hand which I had held on, to make sure he wouldn't start the car. He turned the key and the car woke up. I looked through my phone and deleted everything that could make me traceable, turned off the gps as well.

"So, new clothes it is?" Rick tried to joke.

"Yeah" I said and looked out the window.

I started thinking of my mother. She would have known if this was what I was supposed to do. She would have known if these feelings I had for Rick was real. She should be here. I missed her. Why did they have to take her away from me? My father never knew I had followed my mother's steps, and he never did have to know either. He would've only worried about me all the time, and he probably would have found a way to get me fired. Now it would have been a good idea to let him know though. But I couldn't risk him knowing since I now was in danger. He would probably not understand the feelings I had towards Rick, not that I myself understood them. Plus, if he knew where we would go, his life could be in danger too. I had told the agency to never... ever talk to my dad about me or the job. That was a part of the contract I had signed. He didn't need to know, if he knew, he would only worry about me like he had worried about mom every time she was out on a mission. I didn't want to see that worry in his eyes ever again. Especially not since the last time I saw it, it had been for a good reason. The last time that worry had been in his eyes had been the night of her death. The night someone had put a bullet through her heart. They had never figured out who did it. The agency had told us it must've been the enemy. Probably someone who protected her target. I wasn't too sure though, it didn't sound like the truth.

"Hello? Kate? Hello?" Rick's raising voice brought me back to the car.

I looked at him with a confused look. How long had he been trying to talk to me? He had a concerned expression on his face, and at first I couldn't understand why but then I figured it out. He was concerned about me.

"Sorry, I got lost in though" I felt my cheeks turning hot and looked down on my hands in my lap.

"If you want to, you can talk to me" he offered and I could feel unwelcome tears fill my eyes.

"I'm fine" I said and before looking up at him I wiped them away.

I could see in his eyes that he didn't believe me, but I also saw he decided not to push.

"Where do you wanna go? I sent my mother and Alexis to Paris, so I don't feel to comfortable if we go there. I don't want them any near the danger that might put them in" he said and lowered his voice at the end.

"I understand. Uhm... where do you wanna go?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Well, we could at least be on the same continent, so somewhere in Europe you wanna go?" Rick asked back.

I thought about it for a moment.

"Where do you think we could blend in the most? Isn't that like England or something?" I asked and he thought about it before nodding.

"London?" he asked and I nodded. "The London it is" he said and his eyes were on the road again.

A/N:

Please let me know what you all think!