Chapter 27 - Never Been More Shaken

Kate Beckett's POV

I stared at Rick. He stared back at me, not knowing what I knew. The reason we'd been targetted had nothing wwith us to do at all, more than we were smart and two of the best agents they had. Why did they have to see us as a threat? We hadn't even looked into it unless they had done this to us. We probably would have never met unless this happened. Because the only reason I had drunk that much that night was because the one I had to kill was the writer who's books got my thoughts off killing myself after my mom's death. And if I'd never gotten that message I would never ended up sleeping in Rick's bed. Which meant we would've never met to try figure this out. I would definitely not been trying to hack into my own boss's account and found this. I was glad it had happened though. Who did they think they wer getting away with this? How could they even imagine that no one would ever find out about this? How the hell could they do this? My own boss was a part of what happened for so many years ago. How could he even let me start working for him?

"Kate, what's wrong?" Rick's voice broke through my thoughts and I felt the hot tears run down my cheeks.

I wiped them and tried to take a soothing breath. I felt Rick's gaze on me and I looked him in the eyes. The blue staring back at me made me calm enough not to burst into crying.

"They killed my mom" I whispered and I could see the confusion in Rick's eyes turn into understanding.

My watery eyes threatened to spill over. Rick's hand got to my cheek and softly touched my face. I leant into his hand, accepting his comfort. I closed my eyes, trying not to cry. I couldn't believe I hadn't been able to find out about this before. My heart felt dead inside of me. The only small sign that it was still beating was the spark Rick's hand caused. When he took away the hand I opened my eyes and he took my hand in his left making me raise. I looked at him confused but followed his move. Once I stood his right hand landed on my hip and he pulled me down in his lap. When I sat down he put his arms around me and I snuggled into his chest. I felt his lips on my head and I was glad I had him. The love his whole being was giving me made my soul feel ok again since my mom's death.

"Whom and how?" he asked smoothly into my ear.

I pulled away enough to look into his eyes. His eyes were calming.

"Our bosses, she was out on a mission, it says she walked into them selling guns to enemy countries and she refused to keep it as a secret so... they ki-killed her" I said and I started sobbing.

I leaned towards his chest again and cried silently into his comfort. His hand was softly moving around my back, sending warmth into the spots he touched. He hushed me and whispered over and over that it was going to be okay, and for some reason I believed him. We were going to do this together and we would make them pay for what they did.

"Does it say anything like where their dirtywork is handled?" Rick asked and I shook my head into his chest. "Ok, come on" he said and gently pushed me away.

I stood up and so did he. He took my hand, intertwined our fingers and dragged me towards the stairs. We walked up and once the hidden door was closed he pointed towards the couch.

"Sit there, I'm coming soon" he saud and kissed the top of my head.

I nodded and walked to the couch and did as he had said. I pulled up my knees and hugged them towards my body. I didn't have to wait long until Rick came back from the kitchen with two bowls and from what I could see it looked like ice cream. He put the bowls on the table in front of me and headed back to take the remote to the tv. He crashed down beside me, took the two bolws and now I could clearly see it was ice cream. Then he put his left arm around me and put one of the bowls in my lap and the other one in his own.

"How about we let go of work for a few hours and watch some movies on tv and eat some ice cream, okay?" he asked leaning his forehead into my right side of my head.

"Okay" I whispered and his lips touched my head.

He turned on the tv and found a channel with the movie Grown-Ups. I'd seen it before and it was a great movie. I snuggled into Rick's side and ate my ice cream. When the ice cream was eaten Rick took the bowls and put them on the table before leaning back and putting back his arm around me. I snuggled closer and closed my eyes.

"You tired?" Rick whispered and I nodded.

"Mhmm" I hummed.

"Then maybe you should sleep, come on, I'll watch over you" he whispered in the same low tone that made me even sleepier.

"What about... work?" I asked with a yawn in between.

"Let's continue that tomorrow, sweet dreams honey" he said but I had one thing I needed to do before I could find enough peace to sleep.

I pulled myself up a little so I was face to face with him.

"Thank you, for being here and not leaving" I said and I looked straight into his ocean blue eyes.

"Always" he answered with a smile on his lips.

I leaned forward and kissed him on the mouth. It didn't last long cause the sleepiness took over and I leaned into his chest again. The darkness took over my body and I slipped into the unknown.