Chapter 21: Last Time

Kaito: Ayana wait for me!

Ayana stopped as she thinks she was far away from the apartment and the crowd. Seeing Ayana cry was hurtful for her friend, Kaito. He used to make Ayana cry when they were younger because of his scary chicken stories, but he never wanted her to cry this way, she was hurt, and his friend, too, did it.

Kaito sat down beside Ayana in the pool of sand, the wind was blowing her hair too much that she looked more messy.

Kaito: Ayana, I'm here.

She didn't answered.

Kaito: I'm sorry if Riku hurted you that way. He's very worried of you but he went overboard, don't worry I'll talk to him, I promise!

Ayana: You don't have to...

Kaito: Consider this as my way of trying to protect you from him.

Ayana: No, I can handle it myself. I'll be okay.

Kaito: You don't have to say you're okay all the time even though you're not. Ayana, your feelings matter, please don't shrug this away...

Ayana: I'm tired...I want to leave this place.

Kaito: We will Ayana, we will. For now, if you need anything, I'll just be here for you.

Ayana didn't answer further, she just wants to be alone and take her time, but Kaito was there so she openly let him stay for her, no matter how much she deny it, she needed it anyway.

Kaito: I'm sorry if I wasn't there enough for the both of you. You guys are my teammates, I should be there for you.

Ayana: I think you've done more than you think you did, Kaito. Thank you for staying here with me.

Kaito: It's okay Ayana, I have to help you the best I can.

//

Fast forward...

Riku and Ayana had a bitter day, wherein they kept ignoring each other like one didn't exist. The sadness was still read-able in Ayana's face, Kaito was focusing on Ayana as she was the one who needs emotional support but he didn't ignored Riku completely and still talked to him, however he refused on answering mist of Kaito's question as he thinks his real intention will never be understood.

It was already midnight, and Riku was still wide awake, looking at Ayana who was sleeping peacefully. He pulled out his sword and bring it with him, he then left the room and locked the door after he left, making sure there wasn't any noise and that Ayana will never hear him leave.

As promised to certain someone, of protecting her, Riku went to the Land of Wind Dessert, which is the upper part of the Land of Wind outside the Hidden Sand village. There he met someone familiar, someone he wanted to execute in sake of the person he cherishes the most. He knew how dangerous Sayoko is, Ayana meeting her is the last thing he wants to happen, he can protect her with the rest but not so surely from Sayoko.

Gaara: You are really stubborn about trying to kill me.

Gaara's figure surprised Riku.

Riku: What? The Kazekage? Tell me, why did you try to kill Ayana?! She didn't do anything wrong to you!

His figure was then suddenly changed to Sayoko, she was laughing like a maniac. The expression on Riku's face was hard to paint the more he understand the situation.

Riku: You...you took Gaara's identity to try and kill Ayana, didn't you?!

Sayoko: You are quite very smart.

Riku: Why are you doing this?!

Sayoko: You have no idea, and even if I told you, you would never understand.

Riku: Is this about me? I can do anything for you, just leave Ayana alone.

She laughed.

Sayoko: That's too shallow as a reason for me to do such inhuman thing as this. Riku...I appreciate your care, but it's too late now. And you won't be that useful for me anyway.

Riku: Then I have no choice but to kill you right here, right now.

Riku draw out his sword and point it towards her.

Riku: Even if I'm going to be a criminal after I kill a pretentious civilian of Suna after this, I don't care.

Sayoko: You are that desperate, let's see what you can do.

Sayoko prepared for her battle with him, there was a short silence and it was only the strong wind that can be heard. Riku attacked first.

//

Kaito: Ayana, did you have a great sleep last night?

Ayana just stood up from her bed and saw her friend Kaito doing the cooking despite his somewhat-terrible cooking.

Ayana: Where did Riku go.

Kaito: I wonder where did he went too, he didn't left any notice.

Instead of worrying more, Ayana ate what Kaito prepared instead. Riku blasted at her, why would she have to care to someone that hurt her feelings that way when she was doing nothing wrong.

Kaito: Anyway, did you had a good sleep?

Ayana: I think so.

Kaito: You didn't have any nightmares?

Ayana: I had no dreams last night.

Kaito: Ohh...that must be...terrible...But anyway, Ayana, since we're about to leave Suna in few days we have to go back to your favorite restaurants so you can have one last eat of your favorite dishes, before we leave!

Ayana smiled, it was gentle but small, signaling that she isn't completely feeling well.

Ayana: Yes, haha. You're still as thoughtful as ever.

Kaito: See? I managed to make you laugh somehow, hehe.

Ayana: I've always been your favorite victim of your jokes, and loved making me cry. And now you're actually the one who's trying his best to make me smile.

Kaito: Tss, Ayana, those are my love language to you. I just want to make you cry, but I didn't want to hurt you emotionally or physically. You're my bestfriend, why would I do that.

Ayana just smiled through Kaito's words, she never thought he'd actually act this way.

Kaito: The situation right now is more serious than before, it's not really the right time for me to do those to you.

Ayana: I'm happy to hear that you know when you stop and when you should.

Kaito: Of course, for our most childish, immature and innocent sister I'll do what I can to make you feel better!

Kaito hugged Ayana's neck from the back as if he was an older brother of hers, that show of affection was normal for them as they've been doing it since they became close, just like Ayana is to Naruto, Shikamaru and Chouji.

Ayana: Alright, what restaurant should we go first.

Kaito: You decide, your preferences in food are quite unpredictable.

Ayana: Alright, to Mr. Kenichi then.

Kaito: Oh yes!! I missed Kenichi-san so much as well!!