Chapter 38: Laborious

...

The mirror broke and the papers fall off from the desk as Sayoko throw a tantrum on Ayana's room.

Sayoko: Where is she?!

She screams.

Akuno was doing his best to make his act believable, that he, also, was angered over the fact that Ayana went "missing".

Akuno: I've been searching around the clan borders for her, but I couldn't find her.

Sayoko gazed at him.

Sayoko: How can you missed her?! She was weak!! Stated by the medical ninja and she was under YOUR care!! How could she even escape?!

Akuno: I got too complacent. I thought she was that weak to even dare to move and escape while I was gone, but I was wrong. It's all my fault.

Sayoko: You should be punised for this if our plan goes failed!!

Sayoko threw off the table and sat on Ayana's bed out of stress. She was looking down and her right hand supporting her head, her hair was too messy from the tantrum she's been doing right after she found out Ayana escaped and went missing.

Sayoko: We have to find her immediately. Let's use her physical state as an advantage so we can easily find her, I'm sure she haven't ran off that far yet.

Akuno: I'll make sure she won't escape this time once I found her.

Sayoko: You better be sure, GET OUT!!

Akuno left immediately right as Sayoko asked him to.
She was left in the room, hoping that Ayana could still be found. The mission, her plans, everything took her so much time to prepare and execute, as it's so much important to her because she's avenging her dead parents to this.

...

...

...

On Gaara's room in an apartment.

Ayana opened her eyes and was unfamilliar of the place, she gazed upon on the figure beside her only to realize she was not on her room and on someone else's.

Gaara: You're finally awake.

Ayana: Y-You're...where am I? How did I get here?

She sat on the bed and looked around, she's becoming cautious of her surroundings and Gaara.

Gaara: I'm not going to hurt you, Akuno took you here.

Ayana: How am I supposed to believe you?

Gaara: Akuno told me to hide you here and take you away from Sayoko. He helped you escape, Ayana.

Ayana took some time to think about what happened last night. Recently, Akuno was harsh against her to ensure her training would meet Sayoko's daily requirements and make her attend to everyday meeting with the elders.

Because of Akuno's actions towards her, Ayana completely forgot that he was trying to help her escape just like he promised to her before. But she also thought that he was lying about helping her because of his recent actions.
Ayana was hit by realization, Akuno was putting up an act, and made sure that Sayoko would never look at him suspicious just to make sure that he'll be able to execute his plans on helping her escape.

Gaara: Did he not tell you...?

Ayana: He did...I thought he wasn't gonna do it because Akuno looked like he was still with Sayoko's side...

Gaara: He didn't want to be found out.

Ayana: Yeah...

Gaara was looking at her, and tried to kill the silence by asking her.

Gaara: I brought some breakfast earlier.

He took the food from the dining table and placed it on the table beside the bed.

Gaara: By the way, you shouldn't leave the room because Sayoko can find you easily that way. When I leave, I'm going to lock the room so they think no one is inside. You have to make less noise, too. Just make sure no one sees you, okay?

Ayana wasn't answering him, Gaara didn't know what to say more, because he already told her what she should do, the silence was a bit uncomfortable. After a short silence, she finally speak.

Ayana: Why does it have to be you...out of all people...?

Gaara looked down and was a bit hurt from Ayana's question. He was aware she still doesn't trust him to the fullest, even after rescuing her from her attempt to suicide and comfort her. But I guess it will always take more than time to gain it.

Gaara: ...Akuno and I agreed to it...

Ayana: So you really did approached him?

Gaara: He approached me as well.

Ayana: But why you...?

Gaara: ...Ayana, it wasn't me that tried to kill you back then.

Ayana: Now you're going to lie to me?

Gaara: I wouldn't dare to hurt you because I promised to change, and I know you see that too.

Ayana: You're probably still angry at me for leaving you back then when we were kids.

Gaara: We already talked about it before, and we ended up in proper closure. I already let go of that grudge, Ayana.

She wasn't able to say anything more.

Gaara: Ayana...I understand your hatred, but it wasn't really me...it was Sayoko.

It was last minute before he realized Ayana was not in the perfect emotional state to process what he was saying, he realized she was already crying.

Ayana: ...stop lying to me...

Gaara didn't insisted more as things may get more intense between them.

Gaara: ...I'll...leave the room for the moment.

Gaara left the room quietly so Ayana can calm down. He's not sure when to come back, and thought maybe he will come back when it's time for Ayana to eat again.
He was aware that it will be difficult for Ayana and for him to stay together because of a major misunderstanding between them. There's a chance Ayana would argue with him over a small thing, and there's also a chance she would throw a tantrum so Gaara wanted to be more careful, he may ask Akuno for help if there's a chance they could meet while they're still on Kirigakure.

It may be harder than before, but progress is a progress, as long as Ayana's be put to safety, that's what matters.