Chapter 24: Bluenette's Deterioration

Three days have passed, Kaito and Ayana had finally made their way back to Konoha. Surprisingly, their sensei, Ayako Uchiha, met them near the gates of Konoha. The first thing she noticed was the absence of Riku, and a noticeable change from Ayana.

Ayako: I didn't know we'll meet here, you're back, did you enjoy?

Kaito: I suppose we did, umm...actually, not entirely.

Ayako: What do you mean?

Without a word, Ayana left the scene, tired and exhausted from the trip and all the things that happened that made her sanity become worse. The action made Ayako surprised, she was puzzled of the sudden behavior, Ayana never acted like this towards her sensei, in fact, she would jump towards her and say sweet things, but this one was entirely different, as if she lost her usual self. Immediately bothered, she straightly asked Kaito.

Ayako: What happened back there?

It was obvious from Kaito's actions that he was somewhat hesitating to say the truth.

Kaito: I ummm, I think...Ayako-sensei, I'll meet you later at 5pm noon sharp to tell you the story. For now, I-I'll help Ayana. I promise I'm not gonna prank you or anything, it's serious.

Ayako huffed.

Ayako: You better be, or else.

She never heard Kaito say something serious or tell anything serious, judging from his trickster personality, he would almost look like he's not taking his life seriously–he seemed to be too bright, that to hear something like this is quite bothering.

Kaito left and followed Ayana who was on her way home. Ayako was left with thoughts and suspicions towards her students, what happened was weird, to the point that it's concerning. First, Riku wasn't present. Then, Ayana's not acting normal. Third, Kaito wants to talk about something serious.

Surely there must be something going on, doesn't it?

//

Tadaima...

Ayana's parents wasn't home on her arrival.

Sighs...

Kaito: Ayana, let me help you with your things. You can rest for today.

She looked at him for a short while. Ayana doesn't want any company from anyone and wants to think on her own, but since it's Kaito, she lets him.

Kaito proceeded to help Ayana arrange her things now that she's back home.

Kaito: Ayana, where are your parents? Did they told you that they're going somewhere before we leave?

Ayana: No...they didn't told me anything. They must be in a mission.

Kaito: Ohhh...

Ayana went straight to her room, leaving Kaito in the living room.

Kaito looked down, worried of the possible outcomes that will happen later. Ayana seemed to be depressed from his judgement, he's quite scared to tell Ayako the things that happened in Suna, they were all tragic to hear, but Ayako deserves as explanation, as to why Riku wasn't present.

Kaito: Ayana...no, this shouldn't be a reason for our team to be torn apart...Ayana maybe just needs time...and...and Ayako-sensei...

He shooked his head, trying to not his thoughts and emotions to take him over. As the big brother of his team, it's his obligation and responsibility to remain looking emotionally strong to not worry anybody, to him, it's his duty to protect and to help them, and not the one that needs help–even though at rough times, he really needs them, but acts like he doesn't to remain tough looking.

Kaito: Ayana! I'm pretty sure you're asleep but I'll say anyway, I'm going to leave now! I'm going to bring you your favorite dinner later, just wait for me, and don't do anything harmful to yourself, okay?

There was no response.

As Kaito finished fixing Ayana's things, he left and closed the door shut behind him. Still worried of what Ayana might possibly do to herself, Kaito summoned his ninja animal, Kuro Neko, a black ninja cat.

Kaito: Please watch over Ayana for me.

Kuro Neko: I actually don't like watching people, but okay. I've seen you being too worried of her too much.

Kaito smiled.

Kaito: Thank you, Ayana needs someone to watch over her. I still have other things to do, so please.

Kuro Neko: Worry not, we might not get along but I'll still do this job regardless. I still care for you, you know.

Kaito: Hahaha, you're so silly. Anyway, I'll leave now, if something happens just look for me, I'll be meeting Ayako-sensei at the entrance later.

Kuro Neko: Understood.

Kaito left and let Kuro Neko do the job for him, on his way to fix his things and then meet Ayako later.

//

Ayana remained laid down on her bed, still affected of what happened over the past few days—Gaara's betrayal, Riku's death, what more could possibly go wrong? She was so hurt and the happenings was so sudden, and until now she was still in denial.

No, Gaara can't do that! He won't kill me, he already changed!

Riku isn't dead, this must be a dream...

Ayana: You have to wake up...

But in whatever she does, everything was real. Her ache, her thoughts, the pain in her head that's caused by thinking of this scenarios—they kept playing in her head repetitively, and there wasn't any way to forget them, or act like they didn't exist. Slowly and slowly she was filled with anger, because she couldn't reject reality, she want to pretend these aren't true, and was all just a dream–no, a nightmare.

Ayana slammed the pillow on her bed repetitively, and then shouting the anger and sadness that goes at the same time, Ayana's throwing a tantrum.

Kuro Neko was worried Ayana might hurt herself, and would jump in the scenario just in case there is something that will happen.

Ayana eventually stopped and then started crying, it made her realize a lot of herself—that she's too weak, not capable of anything, relies a lot on other people, and can't even do things right. She remained in the same position for quite a while, and eventually stopped crying and fell asleep.

//

Ayako: What...

Kaito: I'm sorry Ayako sensei, I really do! W-We couldn't protect Riku. We were irresponsible back there we didn't looked up to each other...

Ayako looked furious, and didn't want to believe it. It's probably Kaito doing a prank at her, and she thinks he's going too far.

Ayako: Are you sure you're telling the truth, Kaito? You're not pulling a prank on me are you?

Kaito: No Ayako sensei, I'm telling the truth!!

Ayako: Are you even sure that's Riku? You must've been mistaken the corpse.

Kaito: We saw him Ayako-sensei, we saw him clearly. Even me and Ayana couldn't believe our eyes! It was hard for us to believe it too...but, it really is him...

Ayako: Where's the corpse? I have to see it personally then.

Kaito: His corpse are still under autopsy to figure out his death, when it's done his body will be delivered back to Konoha. You'll see him soon, Ayako-sensei.

Ayako: I won't believe Riku is dead not until I get to see him personally.

Kaito already noticed she was in a state of denial, he could only feel sorry for her because she wasn't there to see Riku. As much as he doesn't want to inform her, Ayako had every right to know about it.

He just hopes that this will not be the reason of his team to be departing from each other...and Kaito promised he will do everything he can to keep them together.