Chapter 36: About Cynical

Ayana woke up in her room, she feels a bit mentally refreshed but somehow her body feels tired from her recent trainings with Sayoko.

Akuno was on the other side of the bed waiting for to wake up, they stared at each other for a while.

Akuno: Morning, how do you feel now?

She tried to process what happened before she got to sleep.

Ayana: I feel tired... Akuno.

Akuno: Yes?

He stood up from his position, ready to do whatever Ayana asks him to do, to be of service to her.

Ayana: Is Gaara...the one will rescue me from Sayoko...?

He had a short pause before answering Ayana's question.

Akuno: Yes, he told me he willingly volunteered to do so. We already talked about how it'll work.

Ayana: What do you mean...he willingly volunteered...?

Akuno stood for a few moment and came nearer Ayana to lower his voice, so that no one could hear them from the outside.

Akuno: Not entirely...I approached him, I asked him for help.

Ayana: ...out of all people...?

He knew too well why she didn't want Gaara to be the one to rescue her from all these.

Akuno: Ayana, there's something you need to know...

Akuno sensed Sayoko around so he didn't continue what he was about to say, he didn't want his plans for Ayana's safety to be revealed, so he decided to say something else.

Akuno: Prepare yourself, you'll meet the elders again today.

Ayana stood silent and frozen from what she heard, she was eager to know what she have to know. There she though she could trust Akuno, but she was wrong...
Akuno helped her prepare, Ayana doesn't want to attend anymore of the meetings as they only push her to follow what they want.

After few moments, Sayoko came to enter the room to take Ayana. Sayoko was looking at her as if she was a bit surprised of what she's seeing of Ayana.

Sayoko: What's wrong? It's not like it's the first time you'll meet the elders.

Akuno: She was stubborn as usual.

Sayoko: Oh? Ayana did something that will put her in harm, did she? Tell me, Akuno.

Akuno: I already punished her, you can take her now.

Ayana looked at Akuno with a resentful expression, couldn't believe that he was actually siding with Sayoko until now. Akuno looked back with a cold expression, Ayana couldn't get more angrier.
Sayoko left with the chained Ayana to take her once again with the elders to do some important matters.

_______________________________________

A day after.

In the Kirigakure's misty woods, there Gaara sat on the cliff where he saw Ayana was about to jump. The scenario kept replaying on his head as if it became a core memory.
His reminiscing was disturbed by a familiar voice, it was Akuno.

Gaara looked back and stood up, making sure he'll not fall on the cliff as he talks with Akuno.

Akuno: I feel like Sayoko would find me suspicious, so I'm here to tell you that the plan may take few weeks or so.

Gaara: What happened?

Akuno: I was about to tell Ayana that it wasn't you who tried to kill her before, I sensed Sayaoko near before I continue. She may or may not hear the conversation but it's better to be sure.

Gaara nodded.

Gaara: I understand. How is Ayana?

Akuno: She gets her hand chained and taken to elders as usual. It's been everyday.

Gaara: Why are you not watching over her?

Akuno: No, she's resting on her room right now. She'll be okay. Trust me, Sayoko doesn't interfere in this time because she also attend important matters with the clan.

Gaara sighed in relief, but it was still unavaoidable that he gets worried because of Ayana's state, considering that she tried to end her life by jumping off a cliff, it's more than enough proof that she isn't doing well emotionally, mentally and physically.

Akuno: I'll make sure she won't get harmed, I promise you that.

Gaara didn't respond, it gave a short silence.

Gaara: I don't understand, how you decided to think of saving her now, when you could've done it before everything happened.

Akuno had a short pause and looked at Gaara who was looking at him directly in the eye, he avoided his stare.

Akuno: I was a villain in her life too...and just like Sayoko, I was full of resentment towards the people that harmed my family, even if I'm not a pure blood Kotakawa, my family was still a victim.

Gaara was listening and paying attention to him and what he's about to say.

Akuno: But Ayana changed me. Before she get to know Sayoko's true colors, there was good in her that changed me, and that's what made me care for her.

He remained listened.

Akuno: She was able to get through me and eventually became someone I longed for. Love, Gaara, it changes people. I'm sure you've been through it, too.

Gaara remembered how he changed because of it, how Naruto changed him. Just like Akuno, he admit he was also once a villain, a monster.
But even if Ayana wasn't the one who changed him, it was undeniable that she was just one of the few people that accepted him for who he is. And gave him the love yet very different but made him full, the love he always longed for since he was little.

Akuno: Even if it was late, I still did it. You are very important to her too, I felt the need to fix everything for her so she can be happy, she have to.

Gaara understood Akuno's position, even if some of the explanations he gave was a bit vague, he could understand them well.

Gaara: Inform me when I'll do the next move, I'll be counting on you.

Akuno nodded.

Akuno: Yes. I'll take care of her for you, I'll have to get going now.

Gaara: Understood.

Akuno left.

Gaara watched him leave for a short while, then back to where he was seated.
He was more pushed by Akuno's story, and felt like as if some of his worries and questions were lessened.

Gaara look forward on how the plan will go.