Chapter 26: To Be There

Two years after the great ninja war...

💮💮

Kankuro: Brother!

Gaara looked behind him as he heard his name in Kankuro's voice. As usual, the Kazekage is taking a view on the village he holds dear.

Kankuro: I received a letter from the 6th Hokage.

Gaara: Kakashi-sensei, what does it say?

Kankuro: Naruto's wedding is near, and he wants everyone to help in making it grand and preparing gifts for him and his future wife.

Gaara: Naruto's...getting wed?

Kankuro: Yep! Let's be there.

Gaara: Of course. We have to support him in every way we can.

Kankuro smiled towards his brother, Gaara turns himself back in the balcony to see the view of his beloved village, as he always do. However, the more Kankuro looked, he suddenly noticed a ponytail Gaara holding on for quite some time.

He stood beside his younger brother to see it clearly.

Kankuro: You still have that.

Gaara: I can't lost it, I still have to bring this back to her.

Kankuro: I mean, Ayana could have buy another ponytail.

Gaara: Yes. Even if she does, I'll still give this back to her.

Kankuro: Gaara, you're thoughtful as always. Don't worry, we'll surely get to see her once we come there.

Gaara take a look at Ayana's ponytail he's holding. The last time he saw her was during the war, and it wasn't a good reunion for the both of them, he knew she holds hatred towards him for something she thought he did. Gaara already know telling her the truth will never be easy.

💮💮

Sayoko: I got a letter from your friend.

Ayana was preparing for the day and was interrupted when Sayoko came in, together with Akuno. Ayana then faced Sayoko.

Sayoko: Naruto know you distance from them, yet he still gave an invitation letter to you, hoping you can come in his wedding.

Sayoko gave Ayana the letter. Ayana didn't bother to read it one bit, but the news that he'll get wed was quite surprising for her as well.

Sayoko: Do you want to attend?

Ayana: I don't have time for this.

Sayoko: Whatever, still your choice. If ever you decide to come, Akuno here will accompany you as your partner.

Ayana: He's not my partner.

Sayoko: Just in the wedding, silly. I'll go now, you can take care of yourself.

Ayana watched Sayoko leave her room, but Akuno stayed with her.

Akuno: Ayana.

Ayana: Please leave.

Akuno: I was gonna ask if you want to come with me tonight? That is...if you're free.

She didn't answer him for a moment.

Ayana: Please leave.

Akuno: Okay...okay.

He left, not wanting to provoke Ayana.

Ever since she joined Sayoko's team, Ayana became more distant and can be easily provoked–having low patience in almost everything. Nowadays, she's seen mostly emotionless, appearing to be cold, like the total opposite of who she used to be–a sweet little girl.

Ayana went straight to the Konoha forest outside the borders—it has always been her training ground, and where she mostly take a stroll. This day wasn't any different, Ayana will go train in her own, usually flooded with missions that involves execution, most of the time walking alone in the Konoha streets everytime she buy something in grocery, not even interacting to any of her friends, or bothering to visit them at all.

Sigh...

💮💮

The next day.

Ayana-chan, Ayana-chan!

Ayana's thoughts were disturbed by a familiar voice. As Ayana's everyday life, spending the rest of her time inside the house, meeting no one, being alone

She stood up and proceed to open the door to her house, being greeted by Naruto.

Naruto: Hehe, I'm sorry to bother you, Ayana-chan...I know you don't want to see me...

He knew what Ayana is being like, and knew she'll never be his bestfriend he once knew.

Ayana: Please leave.

Before Ayana could close the door, Naruto stopped it with his foot.

Naruto: Ahahaha, Ayana-chan...I know you want all the time to yourself, but...I...

Ayana gave him a chance and listened.

Naruto: I...really want you to come at my wedding...please? Ayana-chan...

She was quiet, thinking twice if ever she'll come or not. Naruto was her friend...but is he still her friend?
Ayana was not looking at Naruto–not daring to give him an eye contact. She was giving a cold expression, as always...how Naruto missed his bonding with his bestfriend. Now, is just different.

Ayana: I'll think about it. Just, please leave...

Naruto: You're gonna come, right? Ayana-chan?

Without hesitation Ayana closed the door, not giving him an answer.
Naruto wasn't surprised with her action, he's been in this situation for more than thrice now, but the feeling was still fresh–mixed emotions towards what's happening with Ayana now. He have no absolute idea what happened that she act like a cold person, but Naruto was sure Ayana never wanted to act like that in the first place–it's like she was controlled, but he always fail to rescue her from the things that control her to be like this.

Naruto grinned his teeth, still angry and sad about Ayana's situation, he have always been.

Ayana-chan...

He sighed.

You're going to get out of this, I'm sure of it.