Chapter 30: "Regression"

Ayana and Sayoko stopped by at Ayana's house to check if there were anything left before they leave the village, Sayoko gave Ayana the things she need to bring, surprisingly they are few. Most of Ayana's notes were trashed in the bin under her desk, as what expected to what Sayoko will do, Ayana couldn't do anything but to let it be there.

Sayoko: We're going to Kirigakure to meet with your clan. You're going to be held the head of the clan finally, aren't you happy?

Ayana didn't answered, she knew this will happen soon, but it feels sudden and as if she isn't prepared to do such leadership. She isn't well aware Sayoko will take advantage of her being the new head of the clan to finally complete the final step of her plan.

Sayoko: I'll consider that a yes, no worry little one, I'll help you rule your clan well.

She remained quiet, and then they finally left Ayana's house to continue with their journey, together with Sayoko's team Akuno and Bumiku. Ayana felt it was too sudden, but she have no choice anyway, even if she doesn't want to leave, she have to, because that's what she's told to do.

<<<Time skip...>>>

Kakashi was facing Gaara from his desk, he just came back from the wedding ceremony, it was already sunset.

Kakashi: So, I suppose you're aware, since you've been following Ayana recently ever since you came here.

Gaara nodded.

Kakashi: The person she's with, do you know her?

Gaara: I do.

Kakashi: Before I start you have to know something about that Sayoko girl.

Kakashi took the papers from the desk which was placed by Shizune.

Kakashi: So, how do I start. Sayoko is a criminal, with her brother, and once Orochimaru's disciples. A part of the Kotegawa clan, who is responsible for the mass murder in Kirigakure until Genji clan step up to execute them all. It was hard to take this information but as far as I know from Akuno, she cut ties with Orochimaru long time ago, now she's focused on Ayana.

He continued as he skimmed through the papers he's holding.

Kakashi: To rescue Ayana was a personal request from those I know of, I tried to take her out by commissioning her from the Genji clan multiple times, but after the first attempt she rejected the following requests from me. She's playing hard to get.

Gaara: I want to willingly do it, I believe I could do something about Ayana. I will also accept the mission of capturing Sayoko.

Kakashi looked at him for a moment, it was surprising to see Gaara determined for a girl, knowing him being popular with girls in Suna and a very hardworking man, girls aren't really to his interests, he only considers them a comrade and one of the people that deserves to live a peaceful life. But Ayana, seemed she managed to click into him.

I wonder what's between these two...Kakashi thought, but now's really not the time.

Kakashi: You're determined for her, I admire you for that. Akuno told me, surprisingly she seemed more vulnerable and open towards you than those of her friends, even Naruto wasn't able to do anything.

Gaara thought how hard it was already hearing that even Naruto wasn't able to console her.

Kakashi: They're heading towards Kirigakure today, if you leave early you'll be able to catch up with them. Since we also have to capture Sayoko, I'll make a team ready to follow you in any moment, just give me the signal through our communication device.

Shizune gave Gaara the device.

Gaara: I have another question, about Sayoko.

Kakashi: Yes?

Gaara: Is she going to be executed as well?

Kakashi: That still depends, for now we'll just capture her. To be honest, only Misuto will have the answer to that, since he take care of these two. But unfortunately, we lost contact with him 2 years ago.

Gaara: Misuto, Ayana's father?

Kakashi: Yes, we don't know his whereabouts, but he went back to Kirigakure as far as I know, the 5th Hokage, Tsunade, was responsible for this information.

Gaara went silent for a moment, he have no idea what possibly happen to Ayana's father, but he had a bad feeling about it. As if his sudden disappearance were too suspicious, that he felt something bad already happened.

Gaara: I'll go head out now, thank you for the time.

Kakashi: Goodluck.

Gaara left the office and prepared to leave the village soon to follow Ayana and Sayoko. He first went to meet with Kankuro, who was looking for him.

Kankuro: Where are you going?

Gaara: I'll follow Ayana.

Kankuro: Ayana? Where is she going?

Gaara: To Kirigakure.

Kankuro: Kirigakure?! Gaara, you're going there alone for her?

Gaara looked at him.

Gaara: I have to.

His look was full of determination, his response was simple yet it feels like it was more than enough to explain as to why Gaara has to go. Kankuro looked at his younger brother for a short period of time, and he smiled.

Kankuro: Go Gaara, leave the rest to me.

Gaara: Thank you, Kankuro. I'll get going.

Kankuro: Be careful out there, and goodluck!

Kankuro watched his younger brother leave the village, still smiling.

Man, I can't believe my brother is this old now...he thought. 

Kankuro: Sigh...Gaara, Gaara...