twєntч σnє

Natsu's POV
"LUCY!" I screamed, my wings flapping loudly as I raced along the tree tops, trying to find her.
I scanned the forest floor, seeing no signs her.

Suddenly as I inhaled again for her scent, I picked up a strong smell as well as Lucy's.
I growled.
"Zeref" I mumbled, gritting my fanged teeth.

I swooped lower, seeing a clearing in the trees not far in front of me. I flapped my wings again and perked my ears up.
I heard breathing coming from three different directions, but all heading towards the clearing.

I began to come up on the clearing, having a solid view of the surrounding area. I squirted my eyes and saw three figures running through the trees. I boosted my speed, flying right over the clearing.
I stopped moving my wings, falling to the ground and landing on my feet.

Behind me I heard all three of the figures enter the clearly, and now I could smell them perfectly.
Erza, Wendy, and Gray.

"Natsu!" Erza called, her voice firm as ever.
I stood up straight and turned to them, flashing a smile.

"Jeez flamebrain, what happened to you?" Popsicle asked as he came up, putting his arm on my shoulder and looking me up and down.
"I dunno, E.N.D or something." I replied.

"Natsu-san, why are you back here?" Wendy asked curiously.
"Oh yeah, didn't you say a voice was leading you to the guild where Lucy was? We were heading there now." Gray added.

"That voice was the First. Master Mavis. Zeref apparently brought her back from the dead as one of his demon's, and she'd been tricking me. They were trying to lure me to the guild to trap me there." I explained.

"Why would they want to trap you?" Wendy asked.
"Obviously it was because they wanted to use Lucy as bait. I'm guessing they were going to do something to Lucy to try and get Natsu to release his E.N.D form." Erza said.
I nodded.
"Yeah, it was something like that."

"Luckily though I got out of there before anything could happen to Lucy. Mavis said Zeref was planning on killing her. I'm trying to find her." I explained.

"How do you know she isn't-" Gray started, stopping before he could finish his sentence.
"It's ok Gray-san, Lucy-san's scent is still prevalent which means she's still alive." Wendy said.
This caused Erza and Gray to simultaneously sigh in relief.

I went to speak up, but was caught off guard when I felt a large gust of wind. I feelt an evil aura wash over me and I looked to my teammates to see their expressions, telling me they felt it too.

I turned around, watching as my brother walked through the settling dust clouds.
"Zeref." I said, practically spitting venom at him.

He smiled, looking up at me and my teammates.
"Little brother." He replied back, his evil smile spreading wider across his face.

"Where's Lucy?" I asked.
My scarf flapped viscously in the wind and I clenched my fists, my long nails digging into my hands that were covered in red scales.

Zeref scoffed, looking down at his rings.
"She's gone. I desposed of her."

"That's a fucking lie!" I snapped at him almost immediately after he responded.
He stood for a moment, then grinned an evil toothy grin.

"You and your dragon slayer nose hm? I knew you'd figure me out." Zeref said, an almost excited tone laced his words as he taunted me.
"Cut the crap Zeref, where is she?" I asked again.

My brother scoffed and waved his hand.
A large black ball of magic formed, and began to display Lucy.

My eyes widened, a warm feeling flooding my chest as I saw her smiling face.
"LUCY!" All four of us yelled, but Zeref shushed us violently.
"She can't hear you." Zeref explained.

I growled again, snapping my head to him.
"What do you do to her?"
Zeref rolled his eyes.

"She's stuck in an eternal illusion. She'll never be able to get out, but it's not like she'd want to." Zeref explained, smiling at the last part.

"What does that mean exactly?" Erza's voice boomed as she put up her guard and asserted herself.

"I put her in a fantasy land that she'll never want to leave. A place where I don't exist, this war never took place, and where she can do normal jobs with her team. Oh yeah, and she's also in a happy relationship with you, little brother." Zeref accounted. "This is a place where she has everything she couldn't in this reality" He added with a sinister laugh.

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking back at the screen where Lucy was holding hands with a version of me. I watched as the imposter me leaned down and kissed her, and she blushed tomato red.

Pain rose in my stomach, I felt like throwing up. It hurt seeing her so happy. More happy than I had ever seen her.

Maybe she was better off stuck there, stuck with a Natsu who would appreciate her. A Natsu ready to be the boyfriend she deserves.
She deserves a Natsu who can commit to her, who really truly loves her.

Could I ever be that Natsu?

Was I ever going to be good enough for a goddess like her?

Maybe-

"We'll get her out Natsu-san." Wendy said, suddenly snapping me out of my focus.

I looked down at her, and the determination shining in her eyes was so bright it was blinding.
I looked back and saw that same blinding light in Erza and Gray's eyes, both of them smiling and getting in their fighting stances.

I smiled, turning my head to Zeref.
"You'll pay for making me second guess my feelings Zeref, you'll rue the day you crossed FairyTail."