Perspective

The ER was crazy. The training accident had resulted in several medevac a from Benning due to their ER being full; our hospital ended up getting at least ten soldiers, the other forty went to hospitals in Ft. Stewart, Savannah, and the worst went to Emory University Hospital.
Every nurse on call that night was called in, and I was exhausted, but I needed the money. I had only been called in for a four hour shift. I loved working the ER, I loved the adrenaline rush it gave me, kind of like being on the back of a bike or racing cars. ER nursing wasn't for the faint of heart. I've had my fair share of assaults when I threw grown men in the drunk tank, but I can hold my own.

By the end of the four hours my whole body hurt, I was exhausted and didn't even feel like riding the ten minutes back to the house.  I walked out to the parking lot and saw Brantley parked next to my bike, a smile instantly crept over my face. "Hey beautiful" he said. "Hey yourself outlaw."  "So, how is everything?  Was it that bad?  Cliff and I saw the news reports on the accident."  Rubbing my neck as I sat down on my bike I let out a deep breath. The one part of my job that is the hardest is losing patients. "Forty soldiers were transferred out from Benning due to the hospital not having enough ER space, we got ten. The most critical were medevaced to Emory. I lost a patient tonight. A nineteen year old private, his first duty station out of AIT, he was infantry-training to deploy. There were a total of twenty five casualties from what we were told" a tear slipped down my cheek.  Brantley pulled me in for a hug and kissed the top of my head. "I am going to find a way to help out" he said holding me close.  "What are you going to do?" I asked. I knew he had a huge respect for the military as did I, but with him, he don't do anything small-he goes all in when it comes to veterans and more than half the MC were Veterans, so I had a feeling this would be big. "C'mon, lets get you home then I'll tell you." 

We rode back to the house, the short ride seemed to take forever given how tired I was. Once we got home, I took a shower while Cliff and him sat out on the porch putting together whatever it was he had decided he wanted to do. I walked outside and sat on the swing next to Brantley in the middle of the conversation. He put his arm around my shoulder. "So, Pres, I want to get the MC together, out a benefit ride together for Benning and the families of those who died and were injured today. We can get some of the other chapters to ride as well."  Cliff was a veteran as well, he was a MP for several years, and I knew he'd instantly go for it. "I like it, we will have to have a vote of course, we can do that tomorrow at the clubhouse, but you know Boss it won't be a issue, he'll half the club are Nam vets."  "I knew you'd go for it. I'm gonna call Colt tomorrow and see if he wants to put together a benefit concert too. We can do the ride to Benning or right outside post and then do the concert provided the label gives me the go ahead. But you know me man, I've always danced to the beat of my own drum" Brantley said. "Yeah, you always have" Cliff chuckled. "Ellie is passed out. I don't see how she does it. She loves her job and all, but it wears her down. I wish she didn't work as hard as she does" Cliff said again. "Let me carry her in" Brantley said.

Picking me up, Brantley carried me to my room and put me to bed. "B, don't go, please" I said when he put me in bed. "Baby girl, I'm a gentleman, as much as I'd love to spend the night with you I think I'd better get home."  "Ok, will you at least hold me until I fall asleep, please?" I asked him, secretly hoping he'd say yes.  I needed something to give me hope that life would be okay. I felt like I'd known him forever, and I knew that being wrapped up in his arms I felt safe.  "Of course baby girl."  He took his boots and his cut and climbed into bed and wrapped his arms around me. I drifted off to sleep faster than I had in years.