I Swear

We arrived at YUM fairly early the next day. It was a long day of set ups, a couple interviews for WAMZ and BIG CAT, sound check and typical preshow stuff. Melissa and I were hanging out on the bus while I got ready. I was trying to decide on what to wear, and I finally decided on a pair of my ripped jean shorts, black thunderbird tank from License to Boot, and I threw on a pair of Old Navy flip flops.  I put some makeup on and curled and styled my hair. About that time I saw the bus door open and in walks Ben,Kolby, and Chase. Next thing I know I'm being picked up and spun around by a 6'6" giant.

"Kolby you ass put me down!" I squealed. Melissa was just staring at the scene, Ben came up behind her and picked her up and spun her around too. I turned around and saw Derek standing in the doorway leaning against the wall. He cleared his throat, looked at me and stared, "umm, babe, is there something I need to know here?"  Ben sat her down, Kolby and him looked at each other and pointed and said, "it was his idea!" Everyone busted out laughing.

"Kolby, Chase, what are you guys doing here?  I missed y'all!  Well, not you Kolby you annoying ass!"  I replied. "Hey, now, that Hurt!  We are practically family!"  Kolby replied trying to look wounded.  "And don't you forget it!" I replied and reached up and gave his ear a tug. "Ow ow ow!  You been hanging out with Mama too much!" He replied rubbing his ear.

Chase came over and gave me a hug. "You look beautiful sis" he told me. "Who is this?" He asked pointing to Melissa and Derek. "Sorry guys, this is Chase, my best friend from Georgia, this is Kolby, Brantley's brother, and the guy with the Mohawk is Ben, Brantley's drummer.  Chase, this is Melissa my best friend from KY and her husband Derek."  They all exchange hellos. "Brantley called and told us to come up, so Kolby and I left out last night and came on out today."  This got me thinking. He's up to something.

We left the bus, and saw Chase Rice, Walker, Noah, and Jess all playing basketball, Derek decided he wanted to play so he abandoned the group, which he's never been much of a people person anyhow. Dustin Collins walked up and scared the living crap out of me by tickling me. "Hey!  What are you doing here?" I asked giving him a quick hug. "Brantley said last night at Baxter's to come out today. He wanted to put some local talent in to the opener since Walker is touring with y'all." "What y'all got in mind?" I asked. "I'm gonna do one or two of my songs, then Walker goes on and does his set, then Chase, then Brantley. We are probably gonna do one together. There maybe a few more surprises I can't say." He gave a sly grin then yelled out "Hey Walkie!  Let's go man, gotta head to soundcheck!"  Walker ran over, gave me a quick hug and ruffled my hair and told me "See ya in a bit Ellie." Melissa was fanning herself and stuttering "is that, is that, John Michael's son?"  I laughed. "Yeah, that's little Walker."  "Girl, how in the world can you handle being around these fine specimens of the male species all day?"  I felt a pair of strong arms snake around my waist from behind. "Because she has all the man she needs right here, right princess?" Brantley said as he kissed my neck. "Yes, baby that's right." 

Brantley called out to the band that they had an hour to get ready before they had to go on, which meant we had to get over to VIP. There were a couple who asked in VIP if Brantley was single, he casually replied, "we'll have to wait and see." He did Country Wide as his song in the VIP because "that's what the contract says he has to do." After it was over, he did his club m&g and Melissa, Derek, Kolby, Chase, and I made our way down to side stage.

Brantley's intro came on, Ben was on his riser, then Brantley came out from under the riser bouncing around and saying, "what's up Louisville, KY y'all ready to party?"  The music to Kick It In the Sticks was playing, I loved watching him in his element. He played about four more songs, then said into the mic, "guys, I'm gonna slow it down for a bit, but first I got something I want to share with y'all. See, about ten months ago my brother called me and said he wanted me to meet him at a bonfire, everyone that's country knows what goes down by a bonfire-drinking, fights, and sex. I walk up, with Ben, and my buddy Eli see him staring at this pretty little blonde who was just screaming at someone on the phone, I'm not gonna tell you what she said to get my attention, but it did. This little girl has turned my life upside down. Some of y'all probably know her, she grew up here before she moved to Athens, GA just before high school. Y'all, I want you to meet my fiancé Ellie Parker!"  I literally about had a heart attack when he announced it to 25,000 people!  Kolby took me up on stage, I waved and went to walk off. "No, baby you stay right there" he motioned for Jeff to get him another stool. I leaned over and whispered to Kolby "so this is what y'all are doing here." And he nodded and squeezed my hand and walked off stage.
"So, I'm gonna play y'all a song, I've never done it before, it's not one of mine, but here y'all go" he started the chords to I Swear.

I see the questions in your eyes
I know what's weighing on your mind
But you can be sure I know my part
'Cause I'll stand beside you through the years
You'll only cry those happy tears
And though I'll make mistakes
I'll never break your heart
I swear
By the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear
Like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there
For better or worse
'Til death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
I swear
I'll give you everything I can
I'll build your dreams with these two hands
We'll hang some memories on the wall
And when there's silver in your hair
You won't have to ask if I still care
'Cause as time turns the page
My love won't age at all
I swear
By the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear
Like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there
For better or worse
'Til death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
I swear
I swear
By the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear
Like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there
For better or worse
'Til death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
I swear
I swear

As he started the chords to the second verse, out walked John Michael Montgomery. He sang the second verse then they alternated the rest of the song together. I had tears in my eyes. When they ended the song Brantley got up and kissed me and told me he loved me, John Michael gave me a hug, I walked off the stage. Melissa met me by the stairs "girl oh my God how sweet was that?  Please tell me he is that way all the time!"  "Yeah, he is" I replied.
"Guys I wanna play y'all one more we haven't played, it's a new one called 'whenever we're alone'. And I wanna dedicate this to my fiancé."

I was in tears when I heard it. It was beautiful.  Kolby whispered in my ear "that was your other surprise."  The rest of the concert was amazing, he brought Chase, Walker, and Dustin back out and they closed the show out with "Small Town Throwdown."  After the encore with "My Kind of Party" Brantley walked off staged picked me up and spun me around and crashed his lips into mine and told me he loved me, he went back to the bus and got ready for the flag meet and greet while the rest of us hung out with Chase R, Walker, And Dustin until he was finished. Melissa and Derek said their goodbyes and said that they would come to the next show that was fairly close and bring the girls.

I felt someone come up behind me and the next thing I knew I was thrown over a shoulder and my ass was being slapped. "Put me down you overgrown caveman!" I proclaimed. "Sorry baby, no can do!" He replied.  Kolby and the rest of them started whistling and cat calling behind us "PJ keep everyone off the bus until we roll out, I mean it!" He shouted. "Give it about fifteen minutes and the bus will be rocking" Kolby said to Chase."I give it ten" Brantley called back as he punched the code into the keypad and carried me on the bus. I shook my head and said "I swear."