Dinner at Mama Becky's

After Cliff and Drew left and I hung up with Brantley I jumped in the shower. I knew Brantley had a thing for sundresses and black, so I put on my black sundress and threw a jean jacket on and my brown sandals, I tied a headband around my blonde hair after I curled it, I was super nervous about meeting his mama for the first time. I grabbed the keys to my new 4Runner and locked up and headed to Brantley's.

I pulled up to the gate and punched the buzzer, his voice came over the speaker telling me to come on back. I pulled up to the garage, and was met by an even more gorgeous Brantley than he was when he first woke up this morning. Black jeans, chains, rings, a gray shirt that couldn't possibly be any tighter, and that damn backwards hat that gets me every time. He picks me up spins me around and kisses me softly, careful to not mess my lipstick. "Hey beautiful, I missed you" he said.

"I missed you too outlaw" I replied kissing him again. "New truck?" He asked pointing to the 4Runner.

"Yeah, got it a few weeks ago, decided I needed something if I ever wanted to go out on the trails, Mustang isn't very well suited for that" I replied.

"Please tell me you didn't get rid of the Stang baby" he asked genuinely concerned knowing how much I love the car. "No, baby I didn't. Cliff will have to bury me in that thing" I laughed. "You ready baby? Don't wanna keep Mama waiting. I already know my ear is gonna be sore the minute I get there" he said as he punched the code on the garage door opener. "Let's ride" I said and walked over to the passenger side of the F250. He opened up my door and helped me up in the cab. He walked around and got into the cab of the truck and fired up the engine, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" poured through the speakers of the truck. I loved this song, and started singing along, within seconds Brantley was singing along too. He grabbed my hand and held it throughout the short ride to his mama's. Being with him was so easy, so simple. I know that he's set to go back out on tour soon, and I'm dreading being away from him.

We pulled up to his mama's house, I see Kolby's f150 in the driveway and a car I didn't recognize, I assumed it was his moms, I was starting to get nervous. "It's ok baby, she will love you, I promise" he told me like he could read my mind.

Brantley walks to the door holding my hand, knocks and walks in. Kolby walks up to us giving Brantley a guy hug then picks me up and squeezes me hard "missed you Ellie!"  "I missed you too Giant."  "So, bro, I heard about the phone call this morning, mama is pissed!"  Kolby tells Brantley. I see a blonde haired woman about 5'1" round the corner with a wooden spoon on one hand, she reached up and yanked on Brantley's ear so hard it caused him to scream out "shit mama!" And she twisted even harder.

"Brantley Keith Gilbert!  Don't you ever answer the phone like that again!  Have some respect. What if that was Scott, your agent, or some magazine calling for an interview?  Boy I ought to tan your hide, I raised you better than that!You ain't too big for me to whoop your behind!  And Kolby Porter, language!"  The woman was scary and small, but I instantly loved her. "Yes mama," Kolby said sheepishly. We both were trying to not laugh at the scene unfolding in front of us with Brantley and Mama Becky.

Mama Becky let go of his ear, not before giving it one more good twist, and walked over to me and pulled me in for a hug. "You must be Ellie. You are just as pretty as a picture. I've heard so much about you."  I instantly felt as if I belonged when she hugged me. "You must be Mama Becky, judging by the ear pulling Brantley just got I know to not let my temper fly or I may lose an ear" we all laughed. "Ellie, language when your mad won't get you an ear pull" she whispered "just don't tell my
boys that." 

We all sat down to dinner, Brantley said grace

We all sat down to dinner, Brantley said grace. Mama Becky went all out for dinner. Homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, green beans, apple pie, and she thought it'd be hilarious to play a trick on Brantley. "Mama, no Mac and cheese?" He asked looking around the bowls and on the counter. "Sorry B, I ate it for lunch, mama made it for me" Kolby said laughing. "Kolby, don't you play, you know I love mama's Mac and cheese" Brantley replied getting all pouty. "Sorry baby, Kolby ate it already, he is a big boy, and he was hungry" Mama Becky replied, getting up to grab a pitcher of sweet tea and lemonade. She motioned for me to come grab some glasses, when I got to the counter she leans over and whispers "it's in the oven, Brantley don't play when it comes to his Mac and cheese; it's his favorite food" I couldn't help but laugh. I grabbed the glasses from the cabinet. And put some ice in them and say them down on the counter. I poured me and Brantley a sweet tea and took it over to the table.

"So, mama there really isn't any Mac and cheese?" He asked. Mama Becky and I looked at each other and she nodded. I went over to the oven and pulled it out. Kolby proclaimed "guess not brother, your girls getting the pie out of the oven."  Brantley was pouting over the Mac and cheese when I sat it down in front of him on the table. "Kolby, you asshole!  You lied to me!" He exclaimed!  Mama Becky reached over and yanked on his ear "language, Brantley Keith!"  "Sorry Mama!" He replied acting like a little boy who just got caught for sneaking cookies before dinner.

The rest of dinner was amazing, I felt like a part of the family. Mama Becky is the sweetest, and she made me feel right at home. After we finished eating, Kolby told Brantley he needed him to come outside because he needed his help with something. So mama Becky and I cleaned up the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher.

"Thank you got having me over for dinner Miss Becky, it was delicious. And that trick y'all played on Brantley was hilarious!"  I told her.

"Ellie, call me Mama. I appreciate you calling me Miss Becky, but I'm just Mama to everyone.  So, tell me about yourself" she replied, making me feel like part of the family.

"Well, I'm a nurse at the hospital in Athens, I Work ER and ICU, I moved to Athens my freshman year of high school from Louisville, KY. I went to University of Ga for college. My cousin Cliff is president of Brantley's motorcycle club, he's known him a lot longer than I have. I know Kolby through friends, but never met Brantley until a few months ago when I was at a party with Kolby and a friend. I helped Brantley organize the benefit he played at Benning the other night, one of the soldiers who died was my patient. I was raised in church, went to private school before we moved to GA. I own my own house, I ride bikes with Cliff and the guys when I'm not working, never been married but I hope to one day, I don't have any children, but I want them after I get married, just need to find the right guy. I have a dog, a French Bulldog named Jax.  I think that's about it" I told her. She sat there for a minute, I kept thinking she hated me because I was too forward, then she hugged me and smiled and said "welcome to the family sweetheart!  I knew I liked you when you walked in. There's just something about you, you're nothing like that gold digger Amber.  You are just like us, you aren't fake." 

I was stunned. I thought she loved Amber, but I guess not. "I thought you liked Amber Mama" I replied. "Oh I did honey, until she went off to Berry College, met that rich ex husband of hers and cheated on Brantley with him. Once she got wind of Brantley making it big, she left Brock, moved back home and tried to get Brantley back. Obviously it didn't work, because he won't be with a cheater. She keeps trying to get him back, he won't fall back into her games though. He had to change his number because she wouldn't quit calling. Matter of fact, he changed his number around the time he met you, I don't think that's a coincidence. He's been happier since he met you, I hadn't seen him like that in years." Mama Becky said. It got me thinking, I guess I really did mean that much to him.

"Mama, I really do care about Brantley" I admitted to her. "Honey, I know you do. My boy cares a lot about you too. I haven't seen that look in his eyes in over ten years. He's the Brantley I remember before Amber entered his life. She ruined him. I know you have saved him, even if he hasn't seen it yet."  She hugged me, and Brantley and Kolby walked in at the same time.  Brantley got a huge grin on his face and said, "well if it isn't my two favorite girls."  Mama Becky walked over to him, gave him a hug, and told him "Brantley Keith, this ones a keeper don't let her get away or I'll shoot you with your own gun!"  I cracked up laughing, Brantley looked at me then Kolby, and told his mama "yes ma'am, she's not going anywhere."  Something told me, that she was serious about shooting him with his own gun. And for the first time in many years, I felt like this was where I was supposed to be, and the fact of having family around, or him being a mama's boy didn't bother me because she welcomed me with open arms, accepted me for who I was, and could tell I would keep her bad ass biker son in line.