Too drunk

We were settling down to watch football on the sofa in front of the tv when I noticed that he was already a little bit drunk. So I knew that I had some catching up to do.

"So" he slurred "how's things with you and Carlisle?"

"Carlos" I corrected him. "It's Carlos."

"Right Carlos. How are things with Carlos?"

"Okay I guess." I replied. I didn't know what else to say, I mean it's not like we were actually dating.

"Angie, can I ask you something?"

"Sure. Go ahead." I said with a half smile.

"Why did you look so sad when I kissed Beatriz?"

My heart started beating fast, I knew I had to lie, again. What was I supposed to say? I didn't know what to say. So I didn't. I remained silent.

"It's okay. You don't have to answer, I think I know."

"You do?" I asked really worried.

He nodded his head. "You think I'm replacing Maria."

That could work, I thought to myself.

"Well" he continued, "I promise I'm not. Nobody will ever replace my dear Maria, I loved her so much. I still do. I miss her everyday."

"I know you do German, I do, too." I gave him a sad smile. He returned the smile, which made my heart melt. I hated seeing him upset, but I didn't know what to do.

The conversation was running dry and I found it a but awkward. I noticed that he started to drink more, so I did too. In the end we were both pretty drunk. Although, he was worse than me.

The conversation started to get back on track and we were talking about all sorts,Maria, violetta, music, tv shows.

He told me that he used to be in a rock band when he met Maria. I couldn't stop laughing. He wears smart clothes, always acts sensible and owns his own business, as if he used to be in a rock band!

As the night went on I finally managed to get the courage to ask him about Beatriz.

"So, how did the two of you meet?" I thought I would ask him now because he's drunk and probably won't remember any of this tomorrow.

"Who? Beatriz and I?"

"Yes" I asked, taking another sip of wine. I was going to need it.

"Well, you know Rafael, my old work friend?"

"Yes"

"Well he isn't my friend anymore..."

"What? Nooo!" I emphasised on the 'o' so it dragged on.

He nodded is head. "We didn't cheat or anything, we just, how can I explain this..." He paused for a minute. "Have you ever loved someone you know you shouldn't love, but couldn't help it anyway?"

This question stuck in my head. "Yes." I knew it was rhetorical, but still, I had to say...

He stopped what he was saying and got closer to me, to show that he was listening.

"No! Who? Carlos, Pablo?"

"No German. You."

I knew instantly that I had made a mistake, so I turned away, but I could still feel German staring at me.

"German, I'm sorry I should never have said that." I turned back around to face him and he leaned in towards me. His lips touched mine and I could see fireworks, he put his hands on my cheeks and carried on kissing me. I knew it was wrong but I didn't have the strength to stop it. In truth, I didn't want to. So instead, I just closed my eyes and kissed him back.