Chapter 10: Memories

When I returned for the third night, the ride down the elevator was normal, the Hand Unit talked about how I did so great the other night and how I need to select elevator music to "get me in the mood". The hand unit glitched out again and made my choice for me.

"It seems you had some trouble with the keypad, I see what you are trying to type and I will auto-correct it for you. Thank you for selecting, CASUAL BONGOS."

They were pretty relaxing. There was only the music in the elevator making noise for a while until the Hand Unit told me some information I found to be bullshit.

"Now that your elevator experience has been customized to your needs and you're thoroughly relaxed, it's worth mentioning that due to your lacklustre performance yesterday your pay has been decreased by a substantial amount. Please enjoy the rest of your descent."

"Great, fucking great, thanks dad for programming this bullshit!"

I remember mumbling to myself. The descent down was again silent since that news, I got out and was about to do my usual routine to check the animatronics, but the Hand Unit said something else.

"Due to unforeseen malfunctions from today's shows, your nightly duties will require you to perform maintenance that you may or may not be skilled enough to perform. It became necessary for technicians to attempt to disconnect Funtime Freddy's power module, however, they were unsuccessful. Allowing them to try again would be an inefficient path forward as we would need to allow six to eight weeks for recovery and physical therapy. You will need to reach the Parts and Service Room on the other side of Funtime Auditorium to perform the procedure yourself. Let's check on Ballora first and make sure she's on stage."

I checked the room with the light to find Ballora nowhere but the Hand Unit calculated her as there and on stage and moved on.

"Great, it looks like everything is as it should be in Ballora Gallery. let's check on Funtime Foxy, it's important to make sure she's on her stage before entering. Great, it looks like everything is as it should be Funtime Auditorium."

I was ready to go to the control room for Circus Gallery until the Hand Unit said the opposite of my thoughts.

"There is no need to check on Baby tonight, please refrain from entering unauthorized areas proceed directly Funtime Auditorium."

I was going with it until the Circus Gallery vent opened, my curiosity grew so I crawled into the vent. All was quiet until I entered the Circus Gallery Control Module. Then in the darkness in front of the giant window, I saw a shadow, it was Baby's shadow. I was getting nervous when she stepped slightly closer. I wanted to be prepped for anything so I hid under the desk and pulled the sheet to cover me once more. I sat there in silence until I heard the voice again.

"Did you know I was on stage once? It wasn't for very long... Only one day. What a wonderful day, though. I was in a small room with balloons and a few tables. No one sat at the tables though, but children would run in and out. Some were afraid of me, others enjoyed my songs. Music was always coming from somewhere else... Down a hall. I would always count the children, I'm not sure why. I was always acutely aware of how many were in the room with me. Two, then three, then two, then three, then four, then two, then none. They usually played in groups of two and three. I was covered in glitter. I smelled like birthday cake. There were two, then three, then five, then four. I can do something special, did you know that? I can make ice cream, although I only did it once... There were four, then three, then two, then one. Something happened when there was one. A little girl, standing by herself. I was no longer... myself. And I stopped singing. My stomach opened, and there was ice cream. I couldn't move, at least not until she stepped closer. There was screaming for a moment... But only for a moment. Then other children rushed in again, but they couldn't hear her over the sounds of their own excitement. I still hear her sometimes. Why did that happen?"