XI

Klay Thompson

A knock was placed at my door and I looked at my phone to see it was one in the morning

A knock was placed at my door and I looked at my phone to see it was one in the morning. I sat up and got out of bed, turning on the light on my nightstand. The knocking persisted and I got up . I opened it and lips attacked mine.

Jillian.

I accepted her kiss and she shut the door behind her. We were still making out until I felt something wet on my cheek. I pulled away and Jillian was wiping her eyes before she looked up at me with red eyes.

"Hey what's wrong ?"

"Nothing." She quickly lied, kissing me again. I pulled away once again.

"Having the sex is the last thing I'm going to do while you are crying."

"I'm sorry , you were sleeping. I'll just leave." Her voice croaked and it did something to me. I wanted to protect her and hold her.

"It's fine. Come in."

"No just back to sleep , I came here for no reason."

I ignored her and latched my hand to hers, bringing her inside.  I brought her back to my bed and laid back in it. She took off her jacket and laid in the bed with me. I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close.

"What happened ?"

She pulled away and sat up. Jillian started messing with her fingers and tears filled her eyes.

"Tell me what's wrong."

She took a deep breath before explaining.

"My parents died on the same day about fifteen years apart."

"I'm sorry that you lost both of your parents."

"It happened today. The 26th."

I grabbed both of her hands and held them as she kept talking.

"I was eight when my dad passed. I was sitting at the table and my mom was trying to teach me multiplication for the first time. The doorbell rung. She got up and I secretly followed her. I was peeking behind the wall when she opened the door. Two men in military uniforms were standing there. They told her that he passed away in only his second year in. They told her that he begged to cremated so we didn't have to see his body and they only respected his wishes. They left and my mom collapsed after she shut the door."

I wiped her fallen tears and she continued.

"From that point on , I lost both parents.  My mom mentally checked out. Within a day, my eight year old self had to grow up and be a mom to her. I used to leave school during lunch to bring her mine to eat and run back to make it to class. Imagine a nine year old running down the street in Baltimore . I did that everyday from age eight to thirteen. I faked my way into getting a worker's permit at age thirteen just so I could get a job to support the both of us. I found my way into volleyball to get away from all that. But when the University of Texas wanted me, I was scared to leave her all alone."

More tears trickled down and she started to breakdown.

"I tried. I paid for everything that I could before I left. I starved for two months to make sure someone could atleast watch over her but they took the money and ran. I tried my best to help her but I couldn't. I failed her. I got into the Olympics and it was our game for bronze. My phone rung and I usually didn't answer it before games but I did just this once. This doctor told me that my mom's health was decreasing at a rapid pace and I needed to see her before she died. I was told that my mom was gonna die. I just picked up what I had with me and left. I got there and they told me she found out on the streets and brought there. The doctor told me that she only had a month to live. I thought he was wrong but he was right. I was holding her hand when the monitor slowed down.  I was pushed to the side and watched them try to bring her back to life but they couldn't. I-"

She couldn't even speak anymore because she bursted out crying. I wrapped my arms around her and held her while she cried into my chest. My heart wrenched for her.  She slowly stopped crying and pulled away.

"I'm sorry that I put this all on you."

"It's fine. If anything, I love that you trust me enough to tell me this."

She wiped her face again and stood up.

"I'm gonna go back into my hotel room. Sorry to bother-"

I grabbed her waist and pulled her into my lap.

"You could never bother me." I whispered against her lips before kissing them softly.