Catatonia

Have you ever wondered what people do when they are in catatonia? Not all is entirely known. But one thing is for sure: They lock themselves up in their own minds, cut off from the rest of the world. They are unaware of what goes on around them. It's like being in a coma, except that they are awake.

People often enter catatonia after a major trauma and decide to be extremely distant from the rest. They leave their bodies and use their minds as their only means of escape. To get out, they try and find their answers. Some go past memories while others will try and face their inner demons.

For Chara, it was just that. The moment she had finished her part in the plan and was clear without HATE in her system, she distanced herself from the world. She was going in back to her memories from when she was still fully human, before she fell to the Underground.

Her old world had been cruel. She was born somewhere after Monsters were sealed Underground but she was loathed upon by humans since she first opened her eyes. Humans had either black or brown eyes, and an occasional blue. She had red ones, red as blood.

Back then, the humans believed in a myth about a demon that would bear their sins. Every little thing that went wrong or didn't work out for them, they would place the blame on that child. When she was born and they saw her eyes, they decided it was her. They constantly beat her up to the point she would almost die and hardly ever let her live normally.

The only one who ever loved her was her mother. She didn't care that she had red eyes. To her, looks don't matter. Her father thought otherwise and believed that 'the demon brainwashed her' so she was burned at the stake. She was never named, and they constantly referred to her as 'it', 'thing', 'demon', 'abomination', and 'you'.

She had tried to show she was a good person, but they never paid her any mind. To them, she was an abomination that 'should repent for her birth'. She even sometimes wished she never was born. It seemed they would've been happier that way.

As a result from her mistreatment, she grew up with sickly pale skin. She had been covered in bruises and cuts from the many attacks. Even the children her age were no different from the adults. They only kept her alive so that they would still have a scapegoat.

One day, she heard about the legend of the Monsters in Mt. Ebott. It was said that those climb up there will never return. She decided it was her escape from this world. She raced up the mountain as fast as she could, not caring anymore if any humans followed her. She wanted to die. She decided that way, they would all be happy. She ran as fast as she could into the mountain and when she saw the black hole pit, she didn't waste any more time to jump.

The silence was deafening. The darkness was the only thing she saw. The impact of the fall was the only things she heard and felt. She wished she was really dead. She hoped she was dead. To her disappointment, she wasn't. For some strange reason, her Soul refused to die. The last thing she heard were voices and someone picking her up before blacking out.

What she hadn't expected was opening her eyes up to find she was in a warm, soft bed. She looked around and found she was in a proper bedroom meant for children her age. She never felt this warm or anything this soft in a long time. She always slept on a mat on the floor but if her father decided he wanted to 'punish' her, he made her sleep on the floor.

Where was she? Who brought her here? Did the humans find her and managed to somehow come down and get her back? If so, what were they going to do to her now? The mere thought of what may await her made her let out a yelp.

"Is everything okay?" a soft voice was heard as she turned to see that the door was opened. And she couldn't believe her eyes.

Infront of her was a goat creature, but he stood upright like a human. He had snow white fur and wore a green sweater that had a bold yellow stripe along with brown pants. His forest green eyes shone with care and love. From the looks of it, he was her age.

She had no time to react before the goat kid walked over to her. They had a small chat. Well, it was mostly just the boy talking since the human couldn't find her voice yet. She found his name was Asriel Dreemur, and he was the Prince of the Monsters. He was the one who found her when she fell down. His mother was Toriel, the Queen, and his father was King Asgore.

The chat didn't last long before Toriel came inside and took over. Asriel left, but assured her that she was gonna be fine. Toriel had then given the human some pie and helped her to walk to the bathroom to get her cleaned. Asriel had lent her some of his own clothes to wear.

"So, what's your name, my child?" Toriel asked as she patched up the bruises on the human.

With timidity, she spoke softly. "It"

"Hmm?"

"It" she pointed to herself.

"My child, that's not a proper name. Is that what they call you up there?"

She nodded. "It. Thing. Demon"

The mother seemed surprised at the way humans treated the child. They didn't care enough to give her an actual name. She shrugged it off, but decided to name her.

"Those aren't proper names"

"Demons don't deserve names"

"That's not true, my child" the goat mother told her gently as she helped the child into her new clothes. "You're not a demon, and everyone deserves a name. Now, let me see"

The girl sat on the edge of the bed as Toriel skimmed through several names on an old book of Monster names and their meanings. She thought about her time her so far. It seemed so much nicer down here with Monsters than up there with her own kind. She thought they would be very cruel about humans but they seemed to have accepted her as their own.

"How about...Chara?"

The human perked up at the name. "Chara?"

"It means 'little hope' in our language, my child"

"Chara" she repeated, as though trying to get used to it. It was simple, yet somewhat unique.

"I think it suits you" Toriel smiled at her.

The human now named Chara was then helped up. She had sprained her ankle from the fall and needed help to stand. She was shown to a mirror and saw her new reflection.

She only had looked through broken glass or reflecting water to see how she looked like, but only because people did it so as to try and scare her of herself. She normally saw she was covered in dirt and grime from the many bruises done. Her hair was wet and matted. All she wore was an old sweater and pants.

And now she could see a new her.

A pale-skinned girl with free-flowing, short brown hair stared back in place of the former human. She now wore a green and yellow sweater and brown pants than matched Asriel's own. She noticed a small, pink blush on her cheeks and her red eyes shone only with fear and confusion.

They walked a bit further before bumping into Asriel again. Behind him was Asgore, who seemed to smile warmly when he saw the human. The young goat hurried over to Chara, rather excited by her presence.

"Howdy! What's your name?" he chirped.

"Chara" she spoke softly.

"Chara, huh? That's a nice name. My name is Asriel" he then looked a bit to his parents before leaning in and whispering in her ear. "But just between you and me, you can call me Azzie"

She nodded a bit as the goat parents behind them seemed to giggle at their son's interaction. He then smiled before taking her hand and leading her around the Castle. He had to slow down when he remembered the injury. He continued to show her around, but helped her to walk.

It wasn't long before she grew accustomed to her new life with them. Toriel was her mother, Asgore her father, and Asriel her brother. She met a skeleton guy one time that she was close with to call him a best friend. Humans hated her since the day she was born, but these Monsters accepted her with open arms since day one. The humans called her an abomination for her eyes, but the Monsters thought of it as her own uniqueness and even thought they were beautiful. The Monsters had given her kindness and love.

She only wished she could've been able to set them free.