1.0

A/N: To clarify for the beginning of this chapter, I have Sweet Pea in my mind at the age of 22, so when I refer back to another year (like 2014 in this chapter), you can count back from his current age 😊 the military part is not based on any real events. If you don't understand shit of what's going on here p l e a s e read the authors note after this chapter before you start asking questions thank u x

Fuck. It was three in the morning and Sweet Pea's body was bathing in sweat. He had turned away from Kate, yet she only seemed to crawl closer to him. His mind was still asleep, however his body was very awake. The imagines of his dreams send him back to Iraq, the mission of 2014. His boots sunk deeply into the sand while it twirled like a whirlwind around him. It scraped over his tongue and his eyes prickles with tears. The desert was hot, even in the late afternoon.

His troop was right behind him and it was his task to bring them back to the headquarters in Bagdad. "Pea, Hotel-Six-Two over. We need permission to engage". The words rung through his ear as his earphone was connected with the air troop. "We're close to the town, wait for permission". Sweet Pea replied and looked over his shoulder, seeing the silhouettes of his mates behind him in the storm. "Pea, we think they're building a bomb". The crew in the chopper said, an urgent sound in his voice.

Sweet Pea knew it was their mission to exterminate the terrorists, however he didn't want to kill innocent people, which had happened too much the past few days. His leadership of the army on this mission meant a lot to him and he wanted to make sure he really cleaned up the mess in Iraq and he didn't want to hurt anyone who didn't have anything to do with the terrorizing of the country. They had family too and would be missed. "Wait until permission, over". Pea replied and he could almost hear the sigh.

They finally reached the building that was the target of the troops and two soldiers leaned against the wall, a curt nod as everyone was in position. Sweet Pea kicked in the door, his hands closing around the gun he carried with the supple, automatic moves. The men in the room jumped up and the women held back their children. His heart was racing with adrenaline. "Everybody get down! Now!". One of the other soldiers barked and the scared men and women laid down. Sweet Pea moved upstairs while a few soldiers remained down.

"All rooms clear". Pea said into his earphone. "Permission to engage...". He was about to say he completely declined it. "Hotel-Six-Two over. We need to engange! Man in the house is carrying the bomb on his body". Sweet Pea's eyes shot over to the other soldiers and he looked at the people that were ducked down on the ground, including the one with the bomb. It was either their lives or the soldiers'. "You". His gun pointed at the man with a black jacket on. "Get up". The man's eyes were hard, showing no fear.

It was quiet when the man stood up, glancing at the soldiers and their weapons. His hand moved upwards to under his jacket and the fingers closed around the triggers. "Listen, Sweet Pea, we just got permission to shoot, get your troops out of there". Time seemed to slow down and he couldn't reply right now. "I repeat, we're going to shoot. Over". The blood rushed through his ears. The soldiers became hesitant and Sweet Pea's look was enough. "Go, go, go!". The bullets rained out of the sky and the man was hit a few times.

Sweet Pea felt frozen in his spot, yet seeing the man fall to the floor caused his legs to move to usher the women and the children to get out of here. The explosion of the bomb blew him to the ground, he felt his ribcage cracking and the air was sucked out of his lungs, a loud beep in his ears made him feel as if his skull was about to crack open. His eyes rolled back against the pain, but he couldn't get up. He felt paralyzed and the thing that almost tore his heart open right there, was that he had led his men into the danger while they had the chance to escape.