2.6

Kate wasn't surprised she was the only one who was present at the kitchen table for breakfast on Monday morning. Sweet Pea had dropped her off a couple blocks away from her house yesterday in case her parents had come home from the party of the Lodge's already, but it wasn't anywhere near the time they actually entered the house. Four in the morning, they acted like they were still teenagers and Kate was judged for being up late, right. Kate sipped her coffee while scrolling through some news sites and her Instagram feed, hearing the first sounds of feet moving down the stairs. "Good morning". Her mother's voice croaked and she cleared her throat. She closed her robe around her as the heating wasn't on in the morning. "Good morning". Kate replied, her eyebrows raised. "Did you have a good time last night?". She asked, eyeing her mother walking towards the coffee machine to make some for herself. "Too good". Mrs. Pearson replied with a light chuckle. "Hermione was like, want some more wine? And I said I wanted two glasses more, but the thing was that I already had six". She said with a sigh and Kate rolled her eyes.

"You're fifty, mom, not fifteen". Kate said with a gentle smile and her mother laughed. "Well, thanks for reminding me about how old I am". She took her coffee and sat down at the table as well, sliding the newspaper of today towards her, which Kate had taken out of the mailbox already. "I'm off to school, schedule changed, so I'm home around four". She shoved her lunchbox in her purse and took a bottle of water from the fridge. "Sure, have a good day". Her mother greeted her and rubbed her temples against the headache she felt welling up in the front of her head. Kate pulled the front door closed behind her. She stepped in her car and drove away from her house, picking Betty up on the way to school as they had the same classes today. Betty's house was just a few blocks away as well and it took about five minutes for Kate to wait in front of her porch. Betty had seen Kate pulling up and came outside as soon as she stood stil, giving her a small wave. "Hey". Betty got into the passenger's seat, putting her bag in front of her. "Morning, Betts". Kate smiled and continued their way to the school.

"Did you already read it?". She asked, sounding rather nervous. "Read what?". Kate asked as she took a left. She had taken the newspaper out of the mailbox, but she had thrown it on the table and not given it a second look. "The article about Southside High?". Kate shook her head now, focusing her eyes on the road. "Hermione told the Riverdale Register that they're going to build a prison on the bones of the school". Betty added, making Kate's eyebrows frown together, her mind locked in a state of disbelieve and she had to slam the brakes to not drive through the red light of the traffic lights. "They want to what?". She looked over at Betty. "My god, my parents agreed with that. I can't believe those people are in my house, my family". She bursts out. "Veronica knows this, you can't tell me she didn't know". Kate snarled, annoyed by this news, annoyed by her parents, annoyed by the Lodges and even annoyed by Betty's innocent look on her face now. "Kate, you don't know if...". "I do know, she's with everything her parents plan. I hope the school is going to take the news well". 

"Especially now she wants to run for school president". Betty mumbled softly, causing Kate to let out a sarcastic laugh. "I wish her a lot of luck". She said and turned the car onto the parking lot of the school, seeing the bikes of the Serpents already standing next to each other. She relaxed as she saw Sweet Pea leaning against the wall, probably smoking a cigarette before entering the school building. "I'll go ahead, you can have some time with him or whatever". Betty smiled and loosened her seatbelt to get out of the car. Kate nodded and turned it off, taking the keys and her purse out to get out of her car as well. She could see the expressions of Sweet Pea's face had turned from flowers and sunshine to lightning and thunder. "I've heard". Kate spoke as she saw his lips parting and his frown turning into more frustration. "It's unbelievable". He spat, the smoke of his cigarette blowing into the air like steam coming off his face. "They really think they can do anything they want. Hermione as mayor of this town, ugh". Kate ran her hands up his arms, pulling him a little closer to herself.