Chapter 4 : Once in a lifetime opportunity

You entered a small office. Eunji swiftly announced your presence and left the room, leaving you alone with a young woman, probably in her end twenties. Her black hair softly cascaded over her shoulders and back, long and straight, bangs hiding her forehead. She looked very professional and serious as she approached you, looking you up and down, analyzing every part of your body. She tilted your head to the right, then to the left, no emotions showing on her face, keeping you in the dark concerning her judgments and intentions. Her gaze was analytical, sharp, trained to spot particular desirable traits. She took a step back and signaled with her hand that you should turn around yourself, which you did although hesitantly. All this time she didn't say a word and you became more and more uncomfortable. Was this the normal procedure? "Can you dance?" she asked calmly. You nodded in response. "Sing?", you obliged again. "I'll play a song and I want you to dance to it okay ?" she said not waiting for your answer. She turned towards her desk, grabbing what you assumed to be her smartphone and a random K-pop song started to play loudly in the room.
You were nervous, but you just breathed in and out before getting in your zone. When you danced, you always felt like you were alone in your world, not caring about what was happening around you. The beat of the song reached you and you started dancing as if your life depended on it, borrowing moves from different K-pop groups, showing everything you had. Your years of hard dance classes were finally paying off.  
When the song stopped, you came to a halt, breathing heavily, eyes searching for any type of reaction from the businesswoman in front of you.
Jia was leaning against the desk, nodding in approval, a small smile reaching her lips for the first time.

"Could you sing for me, please? It can be anything, it doesn't have to be Korean if you're more comfortable with English." Her smile had disappeared, leaving back her usual poker face.
Your heart was beating hard in your chest, you'd never been this nervous in your entire life. "Ehm, you don't have a keyboard or piano around by chance?" you asked, already regretting your question as soon as it had left your mouth. Just sing, you dummy! "Follow me," she ordered promptly, leaving the room with wide strides. You quickly followed her, barely keeping up with her speed, still irritated at yourself for making things complicated.

You ended up in a small storage room filled with various instruments, a keyboard among them. "This will have to do," she motioned towards the instrument and closed the glass door behind you. You approached the keyboard, shaking slightly in nervousness. You switched it on, playing a few random notes to check the settings before you started to smoothly play one of your favorite melodies, slowly getting into the song you had once written. "I wanna know love, wanna know what it feels like, wanna hold it in my hands, so I truly understand, wanna know loo-ooo-vee, wanna know what it feels like...." you began to sing, emotion sinking into your words. You had sung this song so many times before, it was like a part of you. The words rolled of your tongue, familiar in sound and feel, giving you back the confidence you were lacking just seconds ago. Knowing you had to impress Jia, you sang it even better than you had ever before. Your voice was powerful, but you knew how to use it to make it sound fragile in the right moments to bring out the emotions even more. Your fingers naturally danced across the keyboard, used to the movements of the melody. Completely emerged into the song, you had closed your eyes to sing the last powerful note. Slowly you looked up, waiting for Jia's reaction. "I think we're done here," she said calmly and chuckled lightly. 

This was the song I imagined her singing, I thought it fitted very well ; ) 

******