Chapter 6: The phone-call

You had been dreading this moment ever since Jia let you step out of the office to make your call. You were waiting anxiously for the person on the other side of the call to pick up. Secretly you were hoping that the person wouldn't answer. Sadly, you were disappointed when the phone-call was finally accepted. You were nervous as hell, your fingers trembling slightly at your side. You didn't want to face the music.

"Hi Dad," you answered gently.
"Sweetie? How are you? How is Korea? You haven't called in such a long time, is everything okay ?" you swallowed hard when you heard your dad's tender, worried voice.
"Yeah, everything is awesome dad," you replied hesitantly, voice weak, trying to avoid the actual subject of your call. But eventually you would have to talk about it, you knew you couldn't keep quiet forever, so you decided to just do it quickly and get it over with. 

"Dad, I'm calling for a specific reason. But, I'd want you to sit down first." Your father sounded worried on the other side of the phone, he didn't say anything though, waiting for you to talk. "Big Hit Entertainment wants me to sign a contract with them," you announced calmly, not beating around the bush and coming to the point. 

"Y/N..." he sighed, "I thought we had talked about this enough by now." A muffled sound signaled you that your dad had taken a seat.

"Dad, it's my dream, I will never have an opportunity like this one again. You know how much I love music, I practically live for it."
"Dreams are beautiful sweetheart, but they are just that, dreams. You are not made for this kind of business, it will break you. You have talent, but your heart is too soft and kind to survive in this type of industry."
Irritation started boiling in your veins, you were tired of having this conversation with your father. You had argued enough about this subject and every time he wouldn't even listen to your arguments and just shake off your opinion as a toddler's dream. This was your life and you had to live it and become happy, even if it meant going against your family's wishes.
"I'm signing the contract," you declared without emotion, holding back your anger and tears at the same time. Silence. Nothing seemed to happen on the other side of the phone call... as if your Dad had just disappeared. Anxiously, you waited for his reaction, teeth sinking into your bottom lip out of nervousness. 

"I won't expect you home next month then," a cold voice answered you, void of any fatherly love and warmth. "Dad?" you asked, your voice trembling, "you must understand that I am doing this to become happy. I know that music will make me happy..." a tear was rolling down your cheek and you were struggling to not full on sob in the middle of the corridor. Your anger had transformed into despair. As much as you wanted this, you also didn't want to worry your father. If there was any way of getting what you wanted and not disappointing your family you'd do it immediately. 
"Mom would've supported me, you know that."
"Don't bring your mother into this!" your father shouted all of a sudden, making you flinch in shock, "And don't expect me to pick up the broken pieces when you fail," your father spoke bitterly, "I don't support this and you won't get any financial help from me either until you return to the right path."

That was the moment where you completely snapped. The delicate bond that you had still kept with your father snapped in half. This: When you fail, not even an If, no, it was a When. Your heart broke in your chest and tears streamed down your face. Even your own father didn't believe in you. How could you believe in yourself then? Your father was sure you would fail, he didn't even doubt his judgment.

You ended the phone call abruptly, not wanting to talk any more sense into your father. You had disappointed him and he had disappointed you. Nothing more was there to be said. Your back against the wall, you let yourself slide down to the floor. And there you sat, crying your eyes out while sobbing silently.
You felt alone, left to cry on your own in a silent corridor.

Slowly you calmed down, but your cheeks remained wet, stained with tears that didn't seem to stop coming out of your eyes

Slowly you calmed down, but your cheeks remained wet, stained with tears that didn't seem to stop coming out of your eyes. Your pain hadn't decreased, you had just shut it down, deep down somewhere in the back of your mind.

Head still leaning against your knees, you felt a warm hand on your shoulder, lightly gliding down, careful not to be too rough. A pair of arms reached around your back and held you in a warm and tight embrace, attempting to soothe your aching heart. Slowly, you let yourself go into this consoling hug, leaning your head back against the unexpected person that was holding you. The chest supporting your weight seemed muscular, protective yet comfortable. You felt protected, lulled into this sweet embrace and musky yet soothing scent. You breathed in deeply, taking in the subtle notes of this scent, that was gently seducing you like a magic spell, tearing you away from your worries. Agonizingly slow you lifted your head up to meet the eyes of your consoling stranger. A dark brown gaze filled with light golden specks met yours and sent a mysterious feeling to every single nerve in your body. A feeling you recognized, but couldn't match with any of your memories. Your eyes slowly dropped to the man's lips. Full, soft looking lips. Your heartbeat thumped in your chest, lightly increasing its' pace at the view in front of you. A soft smile formed on these lips and your brain connected the dots, finally recognizing the person that was so close to you. You blushed, realizing how close you were, only inches separating your lips. You could feel his warm breath against yours, your lips yearning for a kiss. You wanted to feel his lips against yours, as strange as it seemed, but he ended the moment, slowly backing off of you. "Are you okay?" he mumbled, his voice deep, breathy, slightly sultry but also obviously worried.

You nodded slowly, still emotionally recovering from the rather intense moment, eyes looking everywhere but at him. You were thankful Jimin didn't ask any questions, waiting for you to open up to him on your own. "Thank you," you whispered and slightly distanced yourself from him by scooting away. He still looked concerned, but you could also feel his curiosity. He was about to say something, but you cut him off, "I have to do something," you said with sudden strength and certainty, "wait for me, please, it will only take a second."

He smiled and nodded curtly, while you got up and walked back into the office, determination marking your features. Jia looked up from a folder in surprise, her face showing relief and wonder at the same time. "I thought you had left without saying goodbye! That phone-call sure took a long time," she remarked leaning back in her chair and analyzing you. "Where do I have to sign?" you asked casually. Jia started to smile and pointed at a dotted line at the bottom of the front page. You took a pen from her desk and positioned the tip of it on the dotted line, hesitation making you pause one last time.

This is my life.

You left the room, the door closing behind you, the only thing remaining from your visit, was your bold signature on the printed sheet.

************