Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The first thing Nick noticed once all his senses returned, was that he was no longer on the floor. Instead, he seemed to be laying in a chair, looking up into a dim light. He tried to raise himself from the chair, but realized his body was still heavy and nonresponsive, so all he could do was glance around to try and take in the situation.

"Ah, it seems you are awake." A voice from outside his line of sight. "Tell me, what is your name young man?" The voice was feminine; soft and quiet. It had a calming effect on Nick, and he relaxed into the chair, at least for the moment.

"My name is Nicholas Stryder." He noted a hint of confusion and anxiety in his voice, and cursed himself for sounding more confident.

"Another Stryder? Hmm, that does explain your resemblance to the young lady who was last in here, a Miss Rebecca Stryder." Footsteps sounded behind Nick as the voice spoke.

"Did she pass?" He knew deep down she would be accepted, but he needed to know for sure.

"She did indeed, she was quite extraordinary in fact. Very bright and talented, but I am sure you knew that about your sister." The voice was directly behind him, and as he strained to identify its source, she stepped fully into view. The unnamed speaker was glad in a golden uniform, and even though she referred to him as young man, she seemed hardly older than Nick.

"Who...who are you?"

"Are you wondering my name? Or who I am in relation to the test?" The women's green eyes sparkled with amusement as she spoke. "It doesn't matter, I'll tell you both. My name is Alana Grant, and am currently a fourth year at the Academy. I am your test administrator."

Alana lifted her hand in air, causing a holographic chart to appear. She stared at it, face lost in thought, and then with a flick of her wrist shrunk the screen to the size of a tablet.

Another wave of her wrist, and the chair Nick was in came to a sitting position. With Nick now sitting straight in the chair, she brought the tablet towards his lap so he could see what she was looking at.

"So, Nicholas..."

"Nick" he interjected.

"So Nick." Her slight smile as she said his name made Nick shift slightly. "If you are ready, I can explain the results of your test to you." She motioned towards the hologram before him, and suddenly the outline of a human body appeared.

"This is a scan of your body." Colors suddenly swirled across the screen throughout his body. "And these colors correlate to the exam, and are what we evaluate to decide those who are worthy of going to the Academy."

"And what do the colors measure?"

Another smile from Alana, her eyes gleaming. "They measure your true potential." She paused, starring at him, letting him ponder what she meant.

"And what exactly, does that mean?"

"Well, the different colors represent your affinity for certain....aspects which the CCUP has deemed are greatly important for the future of mankind. Those who do not have an affinity cannot attend the Academy."

"So, what you're saying is I have an affinity....which means I'll be going to the Academy, right?" Nick needed to know, before his mind could start to process anything else.