Chapter 33

Chapter 33

By the time their hour of training was complete, every first year was drenched in sweat. Even with physical energy coursing through his body, Nick's arms felt sluggish, and he had begun to struggle towards the end. Struggling though, was preferable to punishment, and other first years visibly showed signs of exhaustion at the end as well.

"We will continue this training tomorrow, and at the end of the week, you will have your first sparring match." Jared showed no signs of exhaustion, even though he had just gone through the same training as the first years. Nick wondered just how strong he was. His thought was interrupted as Trent bumped into him on his way to put his sword away.

"I'm going to show you that you aren't special, Nick."

"I'll try not to send you back to the nurse, Trent." He thought it was obvious he was stronger than Trent, but if he had to beat it into him again, he was okay with that.

"Just try not to cry back to your babysitters when I beat you to a pulp." Yup, Nick was really going to enjoy the match on Friday.

He put his sword away, and the moment he had, he pulled in his power, allowing the fire to wash away the ache of the training, repairing and strengthening his muscles. Nick wasn't sure what his next block of training would be like, but he wanted to make sure he didn't arrive exhausted.

The other first years began dispersing in groups, and for a moment, Nick was envious of their free time. He really had wanted to spend more time with Keith and Naomi. Resigning himself to his fate, he sought out Dagr. His dragon had decided to go on a flight around the campus while he had been training.

"Almost done?"

Indeed. I shall be there in a moment. Dagr sent an image of the Academy rushing below him, as he flew back towards the Gymnasium. Nick could just make out the massive training field, and knew his dragon would arrive in a moment.

"Starring at the clouds?" Jared's voice pulled Nick back to his surroundings.

"Er-"Nick was completely caught off guard.

"You're Nicholas Stryder, right?" Jared looked him up and down. "The top rank first year?"

"Yes-"Jared's eyebrow raised. "Yes, sir."

"The others don't like you, do they?" It was pretty obvious that they didn't, Nick thought. However, he knew better than to say that out loud to Jared.

"They've been like that since I started training with Keith. They're just jealous-"

"Stop right there." Jared cut him off, shaking his head.

"Yes sir."

"Why do you assume they are jealous of you?"

"Because I'm stronger than they are, and because of how Keith and Naomi treat me." Keith had explained as much to Nick earlier, and it made sense. The other first years just wished they were as good as Nick.

"So you think they treat you like they do, because of that?" Jared closed his eyes, shaking his head. "Tell me, Nicholas. What are your goals?"

"To become a DRED Knight."

"And, why do you want to become a DRED Knight?" Nick was starting to wonder how many times he was going to be asked this in a single day.

"To protect the ones I care for."

"A worthy calling for a physical." Jared walked over to the swords as he spoke. "What do you think your peers goals are?"

Nick had never thought about that. He realized he didn't really know much about the first years. "I, uh."

"You haven't spoken with them have you?" He interacted with a holoscreen on the rack of weapons, before pulling out two swords. One of the swords he tossed at Nick.

Nick pulled in his power, mentally remembering how it felt at a five, and made to catch the sword. However, even as he caught it, he could tell it was much heavier than before. He opened up to his energy, drawing in even more. As he neared his limit, the sword stopped its pull toward the ground, and Nick was able to stabilize it.

Jared appeared surprised for a moment, and then smiled. "Already at 20, there is no doubt that you are strong." The instructor began walking towards Nick, sword at his side. "However, strength alone is nothing on the battlefield."

Without warning, Jared whipped his sword towards Nick's ribs. He moved to block, and intercepted the sword before it made contact. The strength of the blow pushed him back.

"Do you want to know what happens to a DRED Knight, who relies only on his power, and fights alone?" Jared swung, overhead this time, at Nick. Nick raised his sword to block, and braced himself for the impact. His was so focused on the attack, he didn't notice Jared's fist until it smashed into his stomach. He barely managed to hold onto his sword, as the air rushed out of him.

"The DRED Knight dies." He leveled his sword, holding the dulled point inches away from Nick's head. "No matter how strong you are Nicholas, if you don't change how you interact with your peers, you will die." Jared lowered his sword, and offered Nick a hand.

"They're the ones that hate me." His powers were already healing him, but his voice was still raspy from his sudden loss of air.

"They don't hate you. They feel betrayed by you." Jared took Nick's sword and began walking back towards the rack. "In their eyes, you have cast them aside, because you believe you are better than they are." He put the blades away, and the racks sunk back into the ground. "In all honesty Nick. If you stay on your current path, they will soon become stronger than you."

Nick opened his mouth to speak, but Jared raised a hand, silencing him. "Not in physical ability, but as human beings." Jared disappeared before Nick could ask him anything else.

Well, that was intriguing. Dagr gently landed on Nick's shoulder, and Nick could tell his dragon had seen the whole thing.

"Do you think he was right?" Nick couldn't help but feel shaken by Jared's parting words.

I think perhaps, you may want to take his advice. Dagr was right, but Nick wondered if his pride would let him. You'll have time to think about that later Nick, you still have more training.

He looked down at his holoscreen, and realized he was about to be late to his next set of training. After his interaction with Jared, he would rather not get on the bad side of whatever instructor would be handling his special training.

"To the library then?" He gave Dagr the okay, and the dragon opened a portal. They stepped through, and immediately were met by a growling Fenrir.

"Hello again."