Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Keith's words sent a darkness through Nick. Eli had been right, and now Naomi was in danger. Without another word, Nick ripped his gauntlet of, drawing in his full power. Keith turned and ran, and Nick pushed himself to follow.

"What's going on?" Nick could barely keep up with Keith, and it had to be paining the fourth year to limit his energy level so that Nick could keep up. Nick wondered what exactly was going on, and how Keith had gotten so beat up. He had never seen the fourth year lose.

"Rasha." Keith called back, taking a breath before continuing. "She and some other fourth years attacked Naomi and captured her." Nick knew Rasha was violent, and she obviously hated Eli. He could only imagine a few of the others must share that sentiment. But how had they figured out Eli was gone?

"How are we going to save her?" Nick was strong. He was nearly as strong as a starting third year, but these were fourth years, with levels above 100.

"I'm going to distract them, and while they are fighting me, I want you to get Naomi to safety." Nick looked at Keith's torn clothes, and couldn't help but stare in awe. Keith was willing to face off against the others alone, in order to help Nick save Naomi.

"I won't let you down!" He needed to save the girl he loved. He needed to keep his promise to Eli, and now, he needed to make sure Keith's bold sacrifice wouldn't be in vain.

Keith looked back and smiled, as he continued leading Nick further away from the Academy. They had to be miles and miles away from the Academy now, given how fast they were running. Overhead, Dagr was feeding images of the landscape to Nick. In the far off distance, Nick could see towering humanoid figures, motionless. DRAGOONS.

As Dagr flew ahead, Nick and Keith closing in on the immobile robots, Dagr sent him an image that sent a chill down his spine. On the ground, surrounded by four fourth years, were Naomi, and Becca. The two were chained together, and appeared to be unconscious.

"It can't be!" Why had they captured Becca as well? What did she have to do with this? He and Keith neared the group, and Keith started to slow.

"Alright buddy, I'm going to get ready to go down there. If I can surprise them, I may be able to take out one or two before they start to fight back." He looked towards the distance, and then back at Nick. "Use that time to rescue Naomi."

Nick nodded, brimming with fire. Had they captured Becca later, after Keith had gone for help? Had they known Keith would get Nick as help, so they captured Becca just in case?

"Do you see any others?" Dagr was circling the group overhead, unseen by the physicals. The dragon couldn't see anyone, and a plan started to form in Nick's mind. With a clear view of Naomi and Becca, he would be able to make a portal to them, and save them while Keith kept them occupied.

As he scanned the area though, he noticed something strange. Five DRAGOONS stood motionless near the group, but he only saw four fourth years. Was someone in the fifth DRAGOON? Or was someone hiding?

He racked his brain, wishing he had seen the DRAGOONs more in the simulator, and wishing he knew more about the fourth years. The three with Rasha had always treated him coldly, so he hadn't gotten to know them. The only fourth years he really got along with were Keith, Naomi, and Mark.

Was Mark down there? He scanned the group again, and didn't see the fourth year. He hadn't seen him at the scatterball arena either. He had to be the fifth enemy, and had to be waiting in the DRAGOON.

"Be careful Keith, I think there may be on last fourth year, possibly in the DRAGOON." It was a logical step, given from their vantage point they could barely see the four forms of the fourth years.

Keith gave him a smile, the rest of his face unreadable. "Thanks Nicky, I'll keep that in mind."

He pulled out two small energy blades, and they sprang to life. Nick could tell these blades would actually cut, unlike the blunted weapons they had trained with. "I won't kill any of them, but I'll make sure they can't fight back." He gave Nick another grin. "You try not to get yourself caught."

Nick nodded, crouching low.

"You ready?"

Before Nick could respond, he noticed a form running towards him on all fours. Dawon, in ethereal form. The tiger's voice screamed into his mind. It's a trap!

"What?" Nick responded, and in that moment, Keith turned towards him, a frown on his face.

"Look out!" Keith said, and he suddenly disappeared. Before Nick could respond, or even move, a sharp pain erupted in the back of his head, sending him into darkness.