Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Nick didn't realize he was walking through the doors, until they closed behind him. The voice in his head was just that powerful. Once the door closed, Nick found himself standing in a dark room, only Dagr's glow offering a small amount of light.

"What's going on?" Dagr didn't respond. "Dagr?" Nick tried again, but realized his dragon was once again blocked from him.

"I see you are doing better, Nicholas Stryder." A voice pulled his attention away from Dagr, though in the darkness, he couldn't see who was speaking. The voice seemed familiar.

"Physical's are quick to heal." Nick was uneasy, and as such, he tried to put on a strong face. Something he had learned from his time around Keith.

"Indeed, they are. Did you know, you resemble your father?" Now Nick's full attention was on the voice, eyes scanning frantically for the source.

"You knew my father?"

"I did, it is a shame James did not survive to see you now. He would be proud."

"How- "

"Do I know your father? Well, I know all the students who go through my Academy. In a sense, I see you all as my children."

"Your Academy..." Realization hit.

"Yes Nicholas, you are in the office of Bradley J. Hunter, the Academy president." A golden light burst into the room, temporarily blinding Nick. "But I would prefer it if you called me Zeus."

Nick pulled in a small amount of his power, pushing away his blindness, sharpening his senses. The president stood in front of him, clad in an all-black suit, save for a golden tie, in the shape of a lightning bolt.

"Zeus?" Nick had never heard the name before.

"Yes, an old name of mine, I took a liking to it. However, only the students I have my eye on know me by such." He motioned behind Nick, and a chair suddenly appeared. "Please, sit." It was a command, not a suggestion.

Nick did as he could, wondering if the president was the one blocking him from Dagr. The dragon was hovering above Nick, but something in his friend's eyes worried Nick.

"You know Nicholas, you really shouldn't let yourself be cut off from Dagrientas so easily." A grand chair appeared behind the president, and he casually sat in it.

"Why have you blocked my link with him?" Nick's instincts had him on edge.

"Well, I didn't, my friend did." He motioned with one hand, which was suddenly holding a golden gauntlet, towards the ceiling. A golden eagle sat perched lazily ahead, and silently the creature spread its massive wings, and flew down. "Allow me to introduce Aquila Jovis."

You have much to learn young one. You should better protect your bond to Dagrientas. The eagle's voice was harsh, deadly. Dagr curled around Nick's neck, almost protectively, as the eagle landed.

I am sorry Nick, Aquila Jovis is much stronger than I am. Dagr's voice rushed in, before Zeus raised his gauntlet towards him.

"I did not call you hear to converse with Dagrientas. Please refrain from such rude behavior until we are done." His tone was threatening.

"Why was I called here?"

"Ah, finally to the point." He took a drink from his goblet, a golden liquid splashing within. He paused and looked at Nick, another goblet appearing. "Would you like some ambrosia?" Nick hesitated, uncertain what the drink was. "Your loss" the goblet disappeared.

"To put it simply Nicholas, you are special." Another drink. "In fact, you are so special, I would like to offer you the chance to join me." He took another drink, eyes watching Nick.

"What do you mean?"

"Hmm, seems Dagrientas has not explained it to you yet, allow me to fix that." Nick looked at Dagr, who looked away.

"As I'm sure you know, there are four different energies granted to humans from the other realm."

"Yes- "

"Don't interrupt." Another drink. "In the past, when mankind was first taking shape, those who could handle one or two powers, were known as heroes. A legendary warrior by the name of Achilles, slayed hundreds singlehandedly with his physical powers. The great King Leonidas led 300 men against tens of thousands, standing proud and buying time for an army to form." Zeus's eyes seemed lost in the past.

"Then, there were those with an affinity for three powers. Mankind gave them many names, one of which, demigods. These were humans who performed miracles, feats that were beyond comprehension. Most notable of these, the founders of the great civilization of Rome, Romulus and Remus, Merlin, and of course, Hercules." He said these names like they had importance, but Nick had never come across them in any of his studies.

Zeus took another drink and looked at Nick. "And then, there were those with an affinity for all four powers, the gods." He paused, starring at his goblet as more liquid filled it. "These humans, granted with abilities that dwarfed any of the others, forged the path for mankind. Humans worshipped them, wars were fought over them, and great nations sprung up because of them."

Nick wanted to ask a question, but he was afraid to interrupt Zeus.

"I know you want to know what happened next." Nick nodded. "Well, as humans progressed, I am sure Dagrientas mentioned that the elders of the other realm decided to pull away from the human realm, to leave the humans to develop on their own." Another nod from Nick.

"So, once the other dimension separated from ours, no more heroes, no more gods, came into being. Those who remained, those with their powers intact, began to war amongst each other, fighting for control of the human world, and fighting to steal the powers of their rivals." Zeus raised his goblet to drink but stopped. His eyes seemed sad. "In the end, only a single god remained. He sent his last son, the last demigod, to spread his teachings." It seemed as if Zeus was about to cry. "And when the humans slaughtered him, he fled the world."

"Where did he go?" Nick whispered before he could stop himself.

"He fled to the dimension from which his companion came. Using his vast powers, he opened a rift, and vowed to spend an eternity with the only friend he had left." Zeus looked briefly at his eagle and took another drink. "However, as fate would have it, he couldn't stay away."

Zeus rose up, goblet gone, looking directly at Nick. "You see Nicholas, when the alien forces threatened to wipe out mankind, I, the last of the old gods, brought our dimensions together once again. I rescued humans from the brink and gave them the power to fight back. I have brought back the age of heroes and gods and am seeking to create a new pantheon." He spread his arms wide. "I have deemed you worthy Nicholas James Stryder, to become a god."