Chapter 5

Chapter 5

What are your goals, Nicholas? A voiced echoed in his mind. His eyes opened, and he knew he was dreaming. He floated again in the dark expanses of space, and before him was the reptilian creature from before.

"What are you?" He asked aloud, wondering why this creature continued to appear before him.

I am, and yet I am not. I exist partially in your world, because you have called to me, though you do not know it yet. I will be your friend, your advisor, and your guardian when you need it. The creature grinned and drew closer to his face. Now answer me, what are your goals?

Before Nick could respond, the creature's face grew agitated. Ponder my question, for we are out of time, I expect an answer the next time we meet. The creature began to fade away, and Nick knew he was waking from his dream.

"I bet you that blonde guy is a Physical!" A voice echoed in Nick's ears, and he opened his eyes groggily to search for its source. He began undoing his restraints at the same time, but the strange sleep that had overcome him weighed his limbs down.

"Don't hurt yourself kid." The same voice, filled with laughter and humor. Nick's eyes cleared enough to reveal two figures standing at the front of the shuttle. One was well muscled, wearing a blue jumpsuit, with dark hair tied back in a ponytail. His green eyes were looking at Nick with a bemused expression. He had to be the one speaking to Nick. The other figure was smaller, in a yellow jumpsuit, had neatly trimmed hair, and an annoyed expression on his face.

"What's your name?" The first figure asked.

"Nicholas Stryder." At his response, the yellow clad figured pulled up a holo-screen on his wrist, and seemed to be scrolling through a list of sorts. Nick could see him scowl as he stopped scrolling and the holo-screen turned blue.

"You got lucky Keith."

"Luck's got nothing to do with it, Samuel. Phys just wake up from the sleeping gas quicker than the others. It's because we're stronger." The man in the blue jumpsuit, Keith, winked at Nick as he spoke.

"Muscles don't equal strength." Samuel straightened the glasses on his face as he looked from Keith to Nick. "Standard protocol is once a first year has awoken, they are to immediately depart the shuttle." Nick fiddled with the restraint, which seemed to have become jammed.

"Seems he is a bit slow...seems fitting for a Physical"

Nick ignored the comment as he freed himself, and looked down at Becca, who still seemed fast asleep. "What about my sister?"

"Do you think something bad is going to happen to her? Are you insinuating we would deviate from protocol and harm a first year?" Samuel appeared to be insulted by Nick's question. "You should be worried about yourself if you keep pushing me, kid." He spat the last part out, threat clear in his eyes.

Movement from beside Samuel caught Nick's eye, and suddenly the small man was stumbling forward, having been hit in the back by Keith. "Why don't you go check on that one back there Sammy my boy. I'll take care of Nick." Sam glared at Keith, but surprisingly did as he was told.

"Just ignore him Nick, I can call you Nick, right?" Nick nodded, uncertain how to read Keith. "The Int's seem to like to take everything as an insult. Think they are better than everyone else."