Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Nick found himself in the pod again, Dagr stirring on his chest.

"How did you do that?" Dagr had apparently been holding back on helping Nick.

The dragon looked and yawned at him. That attack is the same as my breath attack. Though I use mystical energy normally for my attack. An image of Dagr, breathing fire across a battlefield, flashed into his mind.

"That. Was. Awesome!" Keith ripped the lid of the pod open, a huge grin on his face. "Who knew you had such natural talent." He grabbed Nick and pulled him easily from the pod.

"You're going to have to show me some more tricks later." He wasn't going to let Dagr get off easily.

I teach you at the level I think you're ready for. His dragon flew off, and Nick was certain Dagr had just mocked him.

"Don't space out on me now buddy, look who showed up!" Keith shoved Nick towards the center of the room, where the fourth years had once again gathered. Nick's eyes found the person immediately. Naomi.

"-he totally made Keith's look so small and puny, on his first try." Rasha broke into laughter as she spoke, along with the other fourth years. Nick couldn't help but smile as he approached.

"I assure you Rasha, I am not small and puny, a quick trip to my- "

"-quick would be right Keithy poo. Quick at everything isn't a good trait." Rasha cut Keith off, and the others laughed even more.

"Speaking of quick, did you know Eli showed up?" Keith's sudden change of subject stopped the laughter.

"Eli showed up?" Naomi's voice held a tone Nick had never heard before. Uncertainty.

"What makes you think that?" Rasha crossed her arms.

"He saved Nicky from a group of enemies." All eyes turned on Nick.

"What makes him so special?" Rasha was nearly hissing, her eyes filled with anger. She disappeared, and her arm was suddenly around Nick's throat.

Nick panicked. He wondered, what would Keith do? "Sorry, you're not my type." Rasha applied more pressure, cutting off his air. Apparently, that was the wrong answer.

"Leave him alone Rasha." Naomi came to his aid. Nick wasn't sure if his heart was beating faster because of the lack of air, or Naomi's action. However, as Naomi reached a hand out towards Nick, Rasha's other hand slapped it away. "Do not interfere Naomi." Her grip tightened, and a very real panic filled Nick. "What are you to Eli?" Even if he could breath, Nick had no answer for her.

"I would advise against ever touching my sister again, Rasha." A new voice echoed through the hall, cold, powerful, deadly. Nick was certain the room suddenly became darker. However, given that Rasha had suddenly grown stiff, it could be he was simply about to pass out.

"Rasha!" Keith's voice, he thought, the world was becoming fuzzy, and suddenly, Rasha let go of him. He started to fall, gasping, dizzyingly sick as blood rushed back to his brain. A soft set of hands caught him, and as his vision cleared, he saw he was looking deep into Naomi's eyes.

"You have beautiful eyes." Nick blamed the delirium caused by the sudden rush of blood for his words. Naomi smiled, her eyes dancing.