Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"You want me to what?" Nick wasn't sure he heard that right.

"I want you to watch after Naomi for me." Eli was dead serious.

How could Nick protect Naomi? She was so much stronger than he was, so wild, so full of life...

Now isn't the time. Dagr was in his thoughts again, and Nick almost blushed.

"Do you really think I could?" Nick had no idea what to feel or think right now.

"I can tell you have the ability to become great Nicholas." Eli nodded towards Dagr. "Being able to draw forth a creature such as he, is no small feat." The top physical took a step forward, and his energy crackled. "You have a sister, correct."

Just how much did Eli know about him? "Yes."

"And you want to keep her safe, no matter what?"

"Yes."

"Then promise me you will protect Naomi." Eli's voice was hard, threatening. Nick shivered.

"Wha-"

"Promise me now, Nicholas, if you care for you sister." Was he threating Becca? Nick felt his anger surge, and before he knew it, he was pulling in his power.

"Leave Becca alone." Fire filled his veins, power pulsing through his body. Eli's energy crackled, and he smiled.

"This reaction Nicholas, is why I believe you will be able to keep Naomi safe." He started to laugh. "Even against my power, you would try and face me, to keep your sister safe. With that level of conviction, that drive, I know you will become strong enough to take care of Naomi when I am gone." Eli's power faded, and Nick let his power eb. Had he really just tried to face off against Eli to protect Becca?

"I will do my best." He offered Eli a smile, and held out his hand. The third year took it, smiling, and Nick felt his energy arch into him. It was different from before. He felt something take root within him.

"What did you do?"

"I gave you a gift, to help you keep your promise." He let go of Nick's hand, and vanished.

"What did he do?" The feeling of whatever Eli had done was already fading, and Nick couldn't sense it within anymore.

I'm not sure, he sent some of his spirit energy into you, but why, I cannot say. Dagr seemed concerned, and Nick could only wonder what Eli had done. His conviction, his determination to protect the ones he loved, no matter the cost, both inspired and terrified Nick. What had he just done?

We can focus on that later, I believe you are going to be late. Nick looked at his holoscreen, and sure enough, he only had two minutes before his next class started. If he remembered correctly, it was at the auditorium, which was on the other side of the Academy.

"Think you can help me out?" Nick was certain he couldn't make that distance, even sprinting at full power, but with Dagr's help...

But of course. Nick opened himself up to Dagr, letting the dragon call forth his spiritual powers. A rift opened before him, and without pause, he stepped through.

The rift led directly to the back of the auditorium, allowing Nick to arrive, unnoticed. He could already see the other first year physicals, all sitting together. They were definitely the largest group. The other groups sat segregated as well, and Nick horridly scanned the small group of students wearing red bands on their arms.

"Found her." He noticed Becca's blond hair, tied back, sitting in the very middle of the Mystics. Without a second thought, he pulled on his power, and moved as fast as he could to the empty seat behind her.

"How's it going, sis?" Becca, and the Mystics on either side of her, jumped, and spun to face Nick. He couldn't help but grin. "Did you miss..." His grin faded, as his eyes were drawn towards Becca's lap. A tiger was curled up in her lap, translucent, just like Dagr. She noted the direction of his eyes, then looked over his shoulder at Dagr. Before she could speak, the auditorium turned dark, and a figure walked forward.

"Welcome, everyone, to your first official class at the Academy."