Chapter 16

Chapter 16

After Nick and Keith had enjoyed their breakfast, Naomi was finally given the go ahead for the rest of the first years. Even though many of them finished the course within 10 minutes, because there were so many first years, it wasn't until lunch had come and gone that every student had finished.

"Man, I'm glad we grabbed something to eat." Nick commented to Keith as they waited for the last first year to finish. Keith had already warned him that they were going to go right into the second part of the proving, without stopping for lunch.

"I got your back Nicky, and don't you forget it." He supplied Nick with another of his seemingly infinite apples and headed towards the crowd of first years.

"Alrighty then, who's ready to start round two?"

"He really loves this part." Naomi appeared next to Nick, watching as the first years gathered around Keith.

"Apparently, aren't we just sparring?" Nick took another bite of his apple.

"More or less. You will each be paired up at random, winners will advance, losers will not. Based on how far you make it, as well as how your opponent does in the sparring, you will get the second score that will go into your final ranking." Nick felt Naomi's hand on his shoulder. "Place first here Nicky, and you're guaranteed top spot of the first years."

He touched her hand lightly and turned to look into her eyes. "I won't let you down Naomi." She smiled and nodded towards Keith. "He's about to pick the first two, better get over there."

Nick walked casually towards the group of first years, determined to win his matches no matter what. As he walked up, Keith seemed to have just finished, and his eyes met Nicks. Nick saw the fourth year wink in his way, a wicked smile on his face.

"Now that I've explained the basics to all of you, how about we get started with our first match?" His eyes scanned the crowd, but it was obvious he already had his two first years in mind. "How about we have Trent and Nick go?"

"I'll take a free win." Trent was already leaving the group of first years, smiling like Keith had just done him a great favor. Little did he know it was the other way around.

"Sounds good to me." Nick walked towards Trent and Keith, the first years snickering at him as he passed. Keith led the two of them to a large dirt ring, the other first years following closely behind.

"Alright, before we get started, I'm going to lay down a few quick rules." He smiled as he looked around at everyone. "First, because you are all Phys, you can obviously heal yourself of pretty much any wound." Nods. "As such, short of dismembering or fatal wounds, you're free to fight as you see fit, until your opponent either gives up, or falls unconscious." Trent took on a devilish grin after hearing this.

"Second, after you all get a taste of this fight, the rest of you all will be split into two groups, one going with Naomi, the other staying here with me. We will serve as the judges of your matches, and make sure nothing severe happens." He looked at Trent and Nick. "Ya'll ready to give us a good fight?"

"This fight was over for Nick the moment he stepped foot in this ring." Trent spit on the ground. "I'll show you why he doesn't belong with the Phys."

"A bit cocky, but I like your confidence!" Keith patted Trent on the back, laughing, though his eyes were on Nick, smiling.

"You ready for this Nicky?"

"Might as well get it over with." Nick was fighting to hide his excitement. As promised, Keith had gotten him his chance at revenge.

"Alright, each of you go stand in one of those smaller circles." There was a red and a blue one, each across from each other, at the opposite ends of the larger circle. The two quickly complied.