Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The door from the exam room led Nick into an empty hallway, and with no guidance on what to do, he found himself walking aimlessly down it. His mind felt muddled from everything Alana had told him, and he was certain he had seen something beside her before he left.

His pondering was cut short as the hallway opened up into a large space. Nick could see children milling about with their parents, a fraction of the number as those who had been waiting to take the exam. It would seem passing the exam was not a common occurrence.

Nick scanned the room, looking for his sister's tell-tale blonde hair, and after a few moments saw her standing with his mother, their backs turned towards him. Silently he approached, hoping to surprise them, but as he neared, his mother turned in his direction.

"I knew it!" She shouted excitedly, and rushed towards him, face shining from both happiness, and tears. He returned her warm embrace, and smiled over her shoulder at Becca, who gave him a small smirk back.

"Perhaps you aren't as hopeless as you look." Her words were cruel, but they held a playful undertone.

"We're twins, so if I look hopeless, so do you." He cracked a grin at her, and they both started laughing, the pressure of the exam having lifted completely, leaving euphoria and relief behind.

"So, where are we?" Nick asked as he looked around once more. The room was rather large, but there appeared to be no exit to the room, simply hallways leading from what he suspected were all the exam rooms

"That, is a secret you will find out soon enough." His mother replied mysteriously as she took a step back to look both her children over. "I want you two to experience the same thrill and surprise as I did when I was here, long ago." She looked around at the room. "Promise me, when you two go the Academy, you will look out for each other."

"I highly doubt Nick and I will be in the same school." Becca replied. Nick was pretty certain she choose intellectual.

"The schools all intermingle at times at the Academy outside of their training. Your father and I were not of the same school, but the Academy is where our relationship bloomed."

"You went to the Academy?" Nick's mother had never mentioned that fact to them before.

"Yes, I was an Intellectual, and a year behind your father."

"And he was a physical." Given what Alana had told Nick about the DRED Knights that was the only course that made senese.

"Yes, he was the best Physical the Academy had ever had. His prowess made him quite popular as well, and he definitely seemed to let that go to his head at times..." Her eyes started to grow distant as she remembered her past.

"You've never actually told us how the two of you met." Becca chimed in, looking at their mom with interest.

"I haven't? Would you like to know while we wait?"

"Wait for..." Nick began.

"...Yes!" Becca seemed suddenly excited, and completely cut Nick off.

"Alright. Well, as I stated, your father was a year older than I, and had already made a name for himself as a prodigy when I arrived. All the girls wanted to be with him, and all the guys wished they could be him. He and I were complete opposites."