Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Cold water pulled Nick out of a strange dream filled with strange light and a golden eagle. Sputtering, he looked around, his mind fuzzy, finding it difficult to concentrate. He remembered meeting with the Academy President, who had been worried about his lack of control over his powers. From there though, his mind was blank.

"You rejoining the world of the living buddy?" Keith's voice caused Nick's fuzziness to fade, and it only took him a second to realize he was not in his old room.

"What's going on?" Keith was sitting across from him, as always, apple in hand.

"First day of second semester buddy."

"Where am I?"

"Our dorm." Nick realized he was in a room with just one bed, and a door seeming to go out into what he could guess was a shared space.

"Our dorm?"

Keith took a bite of apple and smiled. "Yup, after the first half of the year, first years are moved into their proper dorm rooms. Surprisingly, no one wanted to be your roommate, so I decided to have you move in with me. Fourth years generally don't share with anyone, but I like you." Another bite of an apple, as he motioned at Nick. "Now get ready, we need to grab breakfast before the day actually starts."

Nick pushed himself from bed and quickly got ready as Keith waited in the shared space. "What happened after our meeting with the President?" It was really bothering Nick that he couldn't remember.

I'm not sure, perhaps your powers spiked again? I just remember a pain as we left, and then darkness.

"Same." It felt like he had forgotten something important.

Hmm. Dagr seemed suspicious as well. Pondering about the past isn't important now though. Go join Keith, I am interested to see what your days will entail now.

"Agreed." Nick's excitement was growing. What did his next stage at the Academy hold for him?

"Have you always been this slow Nicky?" Keith's grinning face peered in, and Nick smiled as he walked out of his room.

"Have you always been this rude?" The two laughed.

"Only to the people I like, now c'mon, I'm taking you to the best thing at the Academy." Keith paused dramatically. "The Academy's mess hall." For the past six months, they had eaten at a dining facility reserved solely for first year Physicals.

Keith started towards the door, and shot Nick a wink. "Let's race." Without warning, he disappeared.

Cursing, Nick pulled in his power, knowing he would need all his Physical energy to keep up. Keith was already at the end of the hallway by the time Nick started to follow. No matter how much he pushed himself, Keith kept his lead, and after a maze of hallways, and a long run across a grassy field, they neared a massive building. The architecture appeared ancient, just like the rest of the Academy.

"Gonna have to get faster buddy." Keith was casually eating another apple as Nick slowed down next to him.

"You've been doing this longer than I have." Even with Dagr helping him, he knew it would be while before he could match a fourth year's energy levels.